Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic


mll
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Then put them in Saskatoon.

Tbh allowing them to be in. 3200 seat arena really takes the biscuit to smaller markets who have been locked out. 
 

Houston, Portland, Quebec, Saskatoon, Hamilton should all get a team before they get to play at that size arena.

 

hell if the NHL wants to be adventurous the franchise is already failing why not move them to Europe and see how they would fare in a major hockey town over there.

 

Switzerland could be a good base, with their hockey crowds (however not sure if that market is already saturated) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if in some twisted way Betman thinks Matthews, when he signs in two years with the Coyotes, will do for hockey in Arizona what Gretzky did for hockey in SoCal?  

Or if his pride is so extreme he just won't admit a mistake when he makes one.   Not every US team has done well, ARI of course is the one that's sucked the most, but CAR also.   Even though they won a cup and went to the final ... wasn't that long ago that their players had to do gimmicks to get fans in seats both on and off ice - now a top team...either of these teams  in Quebec would be sold out every game.   Good or bad.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 10:59 AM, gurn said:

Victoria B.C., has a 7,000 seat hockey arena; move the coyotes to there.

They can play at Save On Center until a new arena is built.

Cut down on a lot of pacific division travel.

 

Loved watching the salmon kings play there back in the day. Tough ass pro hockey. Tried getting into the Royals but it’s not thecsame for me. Junior hockey is less structured than pro hockey…obviously. I noticed the difference first hand as I got to compare both ECHL game structure to WHL game structure when the salmon kings folded and the Royals come in. I liked ECHL hockey more.

 

Great arena tho! I miss going to the Victoria Shamrock games out in colwood too. Awesome crowd there. 
 

Over half a million people on the island alone. I’ve always thought they could support their own NHL franchise.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Alflives said:

It’s not like there is a fan base in Arizona that will miss the team either.  The marine that club in Quebec City.  They’d go from having 5,000 fans who care (that’s a high estimate) to 500,000 over night.  The players would love playing in QC too.  The other owners would love the revenue.  

QC certainly better than Edmunchuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, IBatch said:

Or if his pride is so extreme he just won't admit a mistake when he makes one.   Not every US team has done well, ARI of course is the one that's sucked the most, but CAR also.   Even though they won a cup and went to the final ... wasn't that long ago that their players had to do gimmicks to get fans in seats both on and off ice - now a top team...either of these teams  in Quebec would be sold out every game.   Good or bad.  

It is a good point about Carolina… they have been pretty good on the ice but haven’t gone beyond fringe status in the market.

 

I was down there a couple years ago in Winston-Salem (near Raleigh and part of the university research triangle) and went into this huge sports store in the mall that only sold different team apparel.  They had stuff from dozens of teams including every college sports program within a couple states.

 

Not a SINGLE Hurricanes Jersey/t shirt/beer mug…. I found one type of hat for the team.  It was really shocking.

 

I think we have found the end of the road for the Coyotes.  No way the league signs off on a plan for one of their teams to be playing in an arena that size for what would be a minimum of 4 years… and that is if they actually had an iron clad agreement from a place like Tempe to build a proper arena, which they don’t.  That is the kind of band aid you use if your arena is almost done but construction is unexpectedly delayed… not as a semi-permanent home.

 

The other owners would have to agree to hand over tens of millions in revenue sharing cheques to an Arizona owner who isn’t even making a pretence of trying to be competitive.

 

Barring something unexpected, the Coyotes are going to be having a temporary out of state home for next season or will be playing “home” games at a neutral site like another existing NHL arena.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 7:33 AM, UKNuck96 said:

3200 seats to put that into a UK perspective 

 

5 teams play in rinks bigger than that 

Belfast Giants (9957) Sheffield Steelers (8300) Nottingham Panthers (8000) Glasgow Clan (4000) Fife flyers (3280) and fifes rink at Kirkcaldy is basically a warehouse with an Art Deco entrance 


also now defunct Newcastle vipers could seat 5500

 

its a joke for them to even entertain the idea.fair enough if it was for a few months because of a new arena over run or a natural disaster event that damaged their main rink. 
 

As much as i hate the whole moving teams, this isn’t a pyramid league and as such it needs to go elsewhere 

 

44A98A0C-69C6-476C-A4BB-7DD639024F02.jpeg

 

Must be a slap in the face for the people in Winnipeg for Bettman to allow for this to continue happening. If Bettman had 1/100th of the dedication in keeping the old Jets in Winnipeg the team would never had relocated.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, gurn said:

3,200 seats, making/confirming NHL status as "bush league".

 

how can the league now say to Quebec City "sorry too small a market"? 

they could move the Coyotes to Kamloops/capacity 6,400  or Kelowna capacity  6,886 and draw more fans,

Wasn't Bettman all over about Calgary needing a new arena, and yet says little about Arizona and that maybe they can still play in Glendale ?

Just typical of the NHL with different sets of standards and rules in how they approach everything in hockey

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Wasn't Bettman all over about Calgary needing a new arena, and yet says little about Arizona and that maybe they can still play in Glendale ?

Just typical of the NHL with different sets of standards and rules in how they approach everything in hockey

Yeah at this point it's starting to become transparent that Bettman has favoritism here. If Calgary had 6000 people in attendance he would have forced the team to relocate 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is the players union signing off on this? 5000 fans? They could play in Portland, Or, or Houston in front of more fans. 

And how many will show up? If 50% is the usual draw of the Coyotes is it really only going to be in front of 2500 fans? 

Gary, Arizona just isn't into you. Let it go. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How is the players union signing off on this? 5000 fans? They could play in Portland, Or, or Houston in front of more fans. 

And how many will show up? If 50% is the usual draw of the Coyotes is it really only going to be in front of 2500 fans? 

Gary, Arizona just isn't into you. Let it go. 

Hockey players like Golf and Biking and lots of opportunity to do that in the winter, then go home in the summer

Looks bad on the league though and yet they left or pressure other towns

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Hockey players like Golf and Biking and lots of opportunity to do that in the winter, then go home in the summer

Looks bad on the league though and yet they left or pressure other towns

Not just about the looks, but  the economics as well.

How are the players ever going to get out of escrow, with such a poor revenue generating team in the league?

Also the players are 50/50 partners( revenue wise) with the league so any poor money team is directly hampering their income.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is just making the NHL look like a bush league.

They don’t even have an agreement to build an arena, there is no way they they have one approved and built in 3 years.

 

They literally had to bribe the university to let them do this.  $20 million in improvements and the school had so little faith that they are making the team pay all their rent in advance.

 

Other owners will be paying drastic amounts in revenue sharing to a utterly failed franchise that is just going to pay as little salary as possible and not worry about competing.

  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is just making the NHL look like a bush league.

They already are one, just look at the DoP(e)S for a perfect example.

 

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Other owners will be paying drastic amounts in revenue sharing to a utterly failed franchise that is just going to pay as little salary as possible and not worry about competing.

A part of me wonders if this is Coyotes ownership giving the little weasel the finger for not allowing them to sell or move the team.  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The University gets 20 million in upgrades to their facility, 41 NHL home dates (times 3 at least) rent monies up front.  Sure, they’d refuse that.  :lol:

I wonder if they will give any back when the new rink doesn’t go through and the club goes to Quebec City?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The University gets 20 million in upgrades to their facility, 41 NHL home dates (times 3 at least) rent monies up front.  Sure, they’d refuse that.  :lol:

I wonder if they will give any back when the new rink doesn’t go through and the club goes to Quebec City?  

They’re going to Houston. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...