The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

How is the players union signing off on this? 5000 fans? They could play in Portland, Or, or Houston in front of more fans. 

And how many will show up? If 50% is the usual draw of the Coyotes is it really only going to be in front of 2500 fans? 

Gary, Arizona just isn't into you. Let it go. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How is the players union signing off on this? 5000 fans? They could play in Portland, Or, or Houston in front of more fans. 

And how many will show up? If 50% is the usual draw of the Coyotes is it really only going to be in front of 2500 fans? 

Gary, Arizona just isn't into you. Let it go. 

Hockey players like Golf and Biking and lots of opportunity to do that in the winter, then go home in the summer

Looks bad on the league though and yet they left or pressure other towns

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Hockey players like Golf and Biking and lots of opportunity to do that in the winter, then go home in the summer

Looks bad on the league though and yet they left or pressure other towns

Not just about the looks, but  the economics as well.

How are the players ever going to get out of escrow, with such a poor revenue generating team in the league?

Also the players are 50/50 partners( revenue wise) with the league so any poor money team is directly hampering their income.

• Vintage 1

This is just making the NHL look like a bush league.

They don’t even have an agreement to build an arena, there is no way they they have one approved and built in 3 years.

They literally had to bribe the university to let them do this.  $20 million in improvements and the school had so little faith that they are making the team pay all their rent in advance.

Other owners will be paying drastic amounts in revenue sharing to a utterly failed franchise that is just going to pay as little salary as possible and not worry about competing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The University gets 20 million in upgrades to their facility, 41 NHL home dates (times 3 at least) rent monies up front.  Sure, they’d refuse that.  :lol:

I wonder if they will give any back when the new rink doesn’t go through and the club goes to Quebec City?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The University gets 20 million in upgrades to their facility, 41 NHL home dates (times 3 at least) rent monies up front.  Sure, they’d refuse that.  :lol:

I wonder if they will give any back when the new rink doesn’t go through and the club goes to Quebec City?  

They’re going to Houston. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Quebec’s not getting a team anytime soon, there is no way to align the league for it without moving a team already in the Eastern Conference.

Neither Detroit or Columbus would be ok moving back to the West and if anything Nashville wants in the Eastern Conference too. 

Edited by canuck73_3

From Friedman's 32 Thoughts:

22. Arizona got its deal done with Arizona State. The revenue split looks as follows: ASU keeps arena naming rights and sponsorship revenue. The Coyotes keep the gate, their merchandising sales and a piece of concessions. Still no official word on seating. I’ve previously mentioned rumours of 3,200. My guess is somewhere between there and 4,000. But no certainty. What also isn’t known yet is average ticket price. I’ve heard there’s been a couple of different models with a higher average, but again, no certainty.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Wonder if the NHLPA and Board of Governors couldn't push to have Arizona excluded from revenue sharing till they have an appropriate venue.  

It certainly doesn't seem reasonable to expect what will be tens of millions of dollars going from their pockets to another owner should be waived during the time the Coyotes don't even remotely have a workable business plan.

At some point I have to believe this is finally what gets enough of them to push Bettman out.  My guess is shortly after Tempe declines to give the Coyotes tens of millions of dollars worth of subisidies and tax money.

I am assuming there is an easy out for that university deal (since they paid all the rent up front), because absolute worst case is that between now and the start of next season it becomes obvious no Arizona location is going to step up and there won't be an arena in the works.  Three years of a lame duck team that everyone knows will eventually have to move isn't exactly going to draw in crowds or new fans.  A half empty 4,000 seat arena for NHL games would be rough.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Wonder if the NHLPA and Board of Governors couldn't push to have Arizona excluded from revenue sharing till they have an appropriate venue.  

Elliote is already saying they will likely be excluded due to this nightmare.