The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic

mll

Quebec’s not getting a team anytime soon, there is no way to align the league for it without moving a team already in the Eastern Conference.

Neither Detroit or Columbus would be ok moving back to the West and if anything Nashville wants in the Eastern Conference too. 

Edited by canuck73_3

From Friedman's 32 Thoughts:

22. Arizona got its deal done with Arizona State. The revenue split looks as follows: ASU keeps arena naming rights and sponsorship revenue. The Coyotes keep the gate, their merchandising sales and a piece of concessions. Still no official word on seating. I’ve previously mentioned rumours of 3,200. My guess is somewhere between there and 4,000. But no certainty. What also isn’t known yet is average ticket price. I’ve heard there’s been a couple of different models with a higher average, but again, no certainty.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Wonder if the NHLPA and Board of Governors couldn't push to have Arizona excluded from revenue sharing till they have an appropriate venue.  

It certainly doesn't seem reasonable to expect what will be tens of millions of dollars going from their pockets to another owner should be waived during the time the Coyotes don't even remotely have a workable business plan.

At some point I have to believe this is finally what gets enough of them to push Bettman out.  My guess is shortly after Tempe declines to give the Coyotes tens of millions of dollars worth of subisidies and tax money.

I am assuming there is an easy out for that university deal (since they paid all the rent up front), because absolute worst case is that between now and the start of next season it becomes obvious no Arizona location is going to step up and there won't be an arena in the works.  Three years of a lame duck team that everyone knows will eventually have to move isn't exactly going to draw in crowds or new fans.  A half empty 4,000 seat arena for NHL games would be rough.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Wonder if the NHLPA and Board of Governors couldn't push to have Arizona excluded from revenue sharing till they have an appropriate venue.  

Elliote is already saying they will likely be excluded due to this nightmare. 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, gurn said:

Victoria B.C., has a 7,000 seat hockey arena; move the coyotes to there.

They can play at Save On Center until a new arena is built.

Cut down on a lot of pacific division travel.

Being from the Island I would drop the Canucks the moment it was announced. Would be easier on my health. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, mll said:

That would make sense.  Bettman just a week ago:

AKA: 

This team is already so poorly ran and supported that they mooch the maximum amount off of other teams. They are also such a joke that somehow playing in a 3200 seat arena might make them more money....

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's scary is next year they are going to need to spend $10 million at least to get to the cap floor. 

BriseBois probably already trying to trade them Seabrook's LTIR contract.  Has a 4M signing bonus (probably due in July) and then would be 5.5M for the rest of the contract over 2 seasons for a 6.875M cap hit.   His contract is probably insured too.    

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, Alflives said:

I wonder if in some twisted way Betman thinks Matthews, when he signs in two years with the Coyotes, will do for hockey in Arizona what Gretzky did for hockey in SoCal?  

Hell no. No way Matthews or anybody for that matter would want to play in front of 4000 fans

On 2/12/2022 at 3:22 AM, YourHuckleberry said:

The league needs AZ to have a team so that teams can shed bad contracts and poach draft exceptions.

What's in it for investors? This is a poor investment scheme, and it'll never work long term.

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Hell no. No way Matthews or anybody for that matter would want to play in front of 4000 fans

Matthews is definitely going to sign with the Coyotes.  They will have a young team, so lots of cap space.  They will be opening there brand new 20,000 seat arena.  They will be able to pay Matthews max contract.  He will 100% want that.  Plus, that his home.  Might even see Matthews traded to the Coyotes this summer after the Leafs lose in round one again.  Then at least the Leafs get assets back instead of him walking as a UFA.  

Loser Leaf fans need to accept Matthews will be a desert dog within 3 years.  

• Cheers 1