The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

11 hours ago, mll said:

Privately financed.

Here's an overview of the situation by Craig Morgan - he explains in detail where things are at.

https://www.gophnx.com/2022/06/02/as-tempe-city-council-prepares-to-discuss-coyotes-proposed-arena-entertainment-district-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

It was published before the vote.  It's Tempe that made a RFP (request for proposal) and the Coyotes were the only ones to respond.  The land is currently a city dump which the city wants to transform into a sports and entertainment district. 

From the article:  The Coyotes have proposed a $1.7-billion development that includes a hockey arena, hotels, apartments, retail stores and a sports book. The team says that the project would be privately financed, although it hopes to use a portion of city sales tax revenue generated by the development to help pay for $200 million in additional costs. 

Also from the article: There are multiple parties that do not want to see this deal consummated, including some Tempe residents, the City of Phoenix, the City of Glendale and Sky Harbor International Airport officials.

Residents: [...] The City of Tempe sits adjacent to Phoenix. Try and find a metropolitan area in the U.S. where a suburb adjacent to a major metropolitan area does not also foster this sort of development. It’s naive of residents to think that they can just preserve the status quo or create more recreational space along the river. An extension of a parkway along Rio Salado produces nothing financially for the city and this real estate is ripe for development. Multiple Tempe sources believe that this deal is fantastic for the city. Follow the money.

The City of Phoenix: [...] The city is working hard to kill this deal because it would hurt the city financially. A shiny new arena would create competition for shows with Footprint Center (and Suns owner Robert Sarver) in downtown Phoenix. A new entertainment district would also create competition for the city; competition that sits in the middle of nightlife-friendly ASU and just five miles from popular Old Town Scottsdale.

But here’s another thought to ponder: Does Phoenix want the Coyotes for itself? A government source told PHNX that two Phoenix council members are interested in wooing the Coyotes back to the city, where they played from 1996-2003.

The City of Glendale: Speaking of competition, no city stands to lose more from a Tempe arena than Glendale, the city that saved the Coyotes from relocation back in the early part of this millennium. [...].

The airport: Where to begin? The airport (and its Phoenix master) has been a thorn in Tempe’s side for decades. [...]  Do not doubt for a second, however, that when airport officials’ lips move (...) the City of Phoenix is the ventriloquist’s hand moving the puppets.

Per sources, city council and staff members do not appear to view the issues that the airport has raised as significant concerns (...). They may face a fight, however.

There are backup plans should the deal not go through.

Here's a look at what they wish to build:

it looks like a bronzed saddle dome. 

• Haha 1

If I'm Tempe and seeing the Coyotes history. I wouldn't sign any deal that locks them in the city for 30 years. 

- What if still no one comes to games?

- What if they start not paying civic taxes? 

Glendale is already been burned. What's to stop the Coyote's from being a drain on taxpayers again? 

On 6/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

If I'm Tempe and seeing the Coyotes history. I wouldn't sign any deal that locks them in the city for 30 years. 

- What if still no one comes to games?

- What if they start not paying civic taxes? 

Glendale is already been burned. What's to stop the Coyote's from being a drain on taxpayers again? 

Austin Mathews....

Ray Liotta GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/4/2022 at 8:04 AM, MikeBossy said:

I love this from the article:

The Coyotes would need to remove an estimated 1.5 million tons of trash from the site, which is currently a city dump. The team would then need to remediate the site before construction begins at a cost of approximately $70 million.

I also love that some residents are opposed to this project - that's basically them saying we would rather have a dump in our backyard instead of the Coyotes. 

Unreal, or they could move into Quebec (or  anywhere)

Is it the cost of a relocation fee that is delaying this?

Why are they so desperate to stay there?

21 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Is it the cost of a relocation fee that is delaying this?

Why are they so desperate to stay there?

American National T.V. rights.

Phoenix /Arizona is around the 10th largest tv market- even though nobody watches on tv- or in the stands.

However the league gets to jack their rights fee up as the "NHL is in al the large markets"

• Sad 1

Consider the NHL as a singular business entity with 32 owners, and as such the decisions they make together are for the betterment of the business as a whole. Sure some divisions within a business may struggle to keep the same profitability levels of the more successful divisions of the company, but they support one another in different ways (ie/ supporting divisions that provide products or services that either increase the value of the other divisions or serve to encompass a wider range of products or services in order to garner larger contracts or scopes of work).

Now every business also needs a trash receptacle...the Coyotes are the NHL's trash receptacle.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I guess Arizona can't do anything right.

The play by play teams will have a chuckle even before they are squeezed into the arena.

I hope they constantly roast AZ and Bettman each game. This is pathetic. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm guessing the Vancouver Voodoo had greater crowds at the old Pacific Coliseum back in the day. :lol:

5,300 back in 1995. 3rd Highest Attendance in the RHI. The Voodoo unlike the Leafs always lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. LOL

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even the Agrodome holds 3,260 people for Hockey.

That's where the final boxing match in Rocky IV was actually filmed!  I still remember the general public casting call for all people "dressed like Eastern Europeans" to fill that arena back in the day for that movie!  Unfortunately I looked more like this back then:

DaElSP5V4AI9LaW?format=jpg&name=large

:ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That's where the final boxing match in Rocky IV was actually filmed!  I still remember the general public casting call for all people "dressed like Eastern Europeans" to fill that arena back in the day for that movie!  Unfortunately I looked more like this back then:

DaElSP5V4AI9LaW?format=jpg&name=large

:ph34r:

Now you're more buff and wear contacts right?

• Cheers 1