The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank God the contracts of Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel will be expiring.  They may need that extra cash for moving expenses...

That expansion money cash from Vegas & Seattle must make for a great retirement fund for the owners.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Probably just move the team back to the other arena, in the Pheonix area iirc.

The league will not want to move out of such a large television market, even though few people actually watch on tv.

Or... maybe they move the team somewhere else to give the Centre of the Universe Leafs fans hope that their treasured Auston Matthews won't sign elsewhere when his contract runs out and he's UFA.

• Haha 1

It's possible they stay in Arizona, but move back into Phoenix area, the team would be able to generate a much better fan base there. The building in Glendale, was not well thought out for fan access.

Personally, would like to see them move to either Houston or to Portland.

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Stranger things have happened... like an all-Canadian division.  (Sure, the pandemic forced the league's hand in that, but there's no reason why Alex Meruelo wouldn't just say, "&^@# all y'all" and shut the team down and write off the losses.)

Before that would happen, the league would revoke the franchise leaving him empty handed.

I bet the league is already counting on some decent coin in the form of a relocation fee.

I know Sacramento CA is never mentioned but they have one of the nicest Arenas in the NBA and it’s only about 3 years old…I’m pretty sure it could host NHL Team but I’d rather Portland.,I don’t really care for Houston even though the Rockets owner wants an NHL Team.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Probably just move the team back to the other arena, in the Pheonix area iirc.

The league will not want to move out of such a large television market, even though few people actually watch on tv.

Even less people went when they were at America West Arena in downtown Phoenix. They moved to the suburb of Glendale to attract more fans and that still didn’t work. Time to try elsewhere. 

• Cheers 2