The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It looks like a negotiation tactic, nothing more.

Lol, or you know the city is just walking away from an arena that is always empty…

Does the NHL really think they have leverage here? Just move the damn team already!

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

The article I read made it pretty clear it wasn’t a negotiating tactic.  The Coyotes are always behind in their rent even with an incredibly favourable existing deal.

My take is to sign Petterson and Hughes to long term contracts if you can because if Arizona moves to a new market and becomes a high revenue team it is going to pop the cap higher faster than expected.

• Cheers 1

Just move the team back to Phoenix and have them play in the Footprint Center (terrible arena name, btw). Or just move the team to Houston or Austin Texas. Seems like that's where it's headed... just get it done. NHL has dragged this out long enough. I have buddies who live in Arizona and they've all become Vegas Golden Knights fans because of the tirefire that the Coyotes have been for years.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Kelowna/Kamloops.

It would keep the Canuck travel distance down.

Portland would be way better. Way more people and the Winterhawks already have one of the biggest attendants in the WHL and already have a big rivalry with Seattle.

The market is there and it makes a ton of sense for the next NHL team to relocate there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Just move the team back to Phoenix and have them play in the Footprint Center (terrible arena name, btw). Or just move the team to Houston or Austin Texas. Seems like that's where it's headed... just get it done. NHL has dragged this out long enough. I have buddies who live in Arizona and they've all become Vegas Golden Knights fans because of the tirefire that the Coyotes have been for years.

Austin would be neat, but then my two favourite US cities would be our rivals, I'm already having trouble with one. 

I think it will be Houston. 

Arizona Coyotes Statement:

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- "We are disappointed by today's unilateral decision by the City of Glendale to break off negotiations on a multi-year lease extension agreement. We are hopeful that they will reconsider a move that would primarily damage the small businesses and hard-working citizens of Glendale. We remain open to restarting good-faith negotiations with the City.

"Most importantly, the Coyotes are one hundred percent committed to finding a long-term arena solution here in Arizona, and nothing will shake our determination to do what is right for our organization, residents of the entire Valley and, most important, our fans."

- Xavier A. Gutierrez, President and CEO, Arizona Coyotes

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/arizona-coyotes-statement/c-325998686

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

If they need to leave Arizona, I'd say Houston, Quebec, or Kansas city would be options. As a Canuck fan, I'd prefer either Quebec for more Canadian representation or a Western team to maintain the east-west balance and help our travel schedule.

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That franchise has been circling the drain for years. When I lived there in 2001 I could go to a game for $10 bucks and the arena would still be half empty. Stop trying to prop up a failed experiment and move the team to a Hockey city already. 

4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 Coors foam fingers and t-shirts for 4.....$50.00 USD at a frigging gas n go outside of Glendale for filling up a full tank.

• Haha 4

Forget all this nonsense trying to figure out a market that would work in NA and just get a team established in Europe already.   We know for a fact that Bettman wants the NHL to be a global brand and this is a perfect opportunity to take an existing team and ship them over there after next season. Couldn't be any more complicated than trying to figure out two seasons worth of covid protocols for the entire league. 

• Wat 1