The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

San Diego?

Free border passes for anyone who buys season tickets.  Tunnel passes between periods to raise demand at concession stands? 

More seriosly; likely have to stay in the West.  Salt Lake city does not have the population base, San Fransisco & yes San Diego do. As does San Antonio. Which is starting to get pretty far East? I am not sure Portland can sustain a team unfortunately. 

Houston seems obvious, but  is even further East. Stamkos could almost take an Uber to the Gulf, and a boat or jet ski ride hom faster than you could fly to Vancouver.      

21 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

San Diego?

Free border passes for anyone who buys season tickets.  Tunnel passes between periods to raise demand at concession stands? 

More seriosly; likely have to stay in the West.  Salt Lake city does not have the population base, San Fransisco & yes San Diego do. As does San Antonio. Which is starting to get pretty far East? I am not sure Portland can sustain a team unfortunately. 

Houston seems obvious, but  is even further East. Stamkos could almost take an Uber to the Gulf, and a boat or jet ski ride hom faster than you could fly to Vancouver.      

Portland could sustain a team. Winterhawks are big down there and were one of the annual leaders in attendance in the WHL. Always ahead of Seattle Thunderbirds. I think out of all the teams in the CHL in general they have the highest attendance out of all USA teams. They are almost always competing for top 10 in attendance in the entire CHL too.

Portland Winterhawks yearly rankings in attendance in WHL

2019-20 5th

2018-19 4th

2017-18 4th

2016-17 3rd

2015-16 2nd

2014-15 2nd

2013-14 2nd

https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7537

They have 650k people in Portland and 2.5M metro. They already do well with major sports too.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

I know Sacramento CA is never mentioned but they have one of the nicest Arenas in the NBA and it’s only about 3 years old…I’m pretty sure it could host NHL Team but I’d rather Portland.,I don’t really care for Houston even though the Rockets owner wants an NHL Team.

Well they tried Barclay's Centre in Brooklyn for NHL games and they way they built it the sightlines were horrible, and could only hold 15,575 fans. That's why the Islanders moved back to Nassau for a bit before their new home in Belmont is finished. So I guess it depends on how they built Golden 1 Center. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonder if the owners in Vegas and Seattle are more than a bit peeved that they paid hefty expansion fees, and they could have just bought the team and moved them. 

Won’t relocating the Coyotes to a new city cost some kind of fee to the league?  New owner buys the team, and pays a relocation fee too?  

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Portland could sustain a team. Winterhawks are big down there and were one of the annual leaders in attendance in the WHL. Always ahead of Seattle Thunderbirds. I think out of all the teams in the CHL in general they have the highest attendance out of all USA teams. They are almost always competing for top 10 in attendance in the entire CHL too.

Portland Winterhawks yearly rankings in attendance in WHL

2019-20 5th

2018-19 4th

2017-18 4th

2016-17 3rd

2015-16 2nd

2014-15 2nd

2013-14 2nd

https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7537

They have 650k people in Portland and 2.5M metro. They already do well with major sports too.

Since when is 650,000 people sufficient for a relocated team? The Trail Blazers, an NBA team, are not dynamic on the back of being too small. 

Cannot attract other major league franchises.

I disagree is all. 

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Since when is 650,000 people sufficient for a relocated team? The Trail Blazers, an NBA team, are not dynamic on the back of being too small. 

I disagree is all. 

650,000 actual fans vs. 4.1 million fans who don't give a damn? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doubt it's nearly as much of the cost of a $650 million dollar expansion fee. 

I’m thinking about the cost to buy the team plus any relocation fee.  What is that club worth?  300 - 500 to buy?  Then 200 - 300 to the league for relocation?  So maybe 500 - 800 total?  

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I went to a game there a few years back.  Got chatting with the guy next to me.  He was excited to have a Canadian there to talk hockey with, but also felt the need to apologize for the other confused fans around us that didn't seem to know what to cheer for.

Like a laugh track in a sitcom.
They just cheer when other people cheer.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking about the cost to buy the team plus any relocation fee.  What is that club worth?  300 - 500 to buy?  Then 200 - 300 to the league for relocation?  So maybe 500 - 800 total?  

Forbes list it at $285 million.

So depends if and what relocation fees get tacked on. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Forbes list it at $285 million.

So depends if and what relocation fees get tacked on. 

So the buyer is going to get a great deal, providing they are allowed (by the league) to move the team, and the relocation fee isn’t 400 plus.  The Quebec mayor said, not too long ago, they were ready to take a team on short notice.  

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I disagree is all. 

That's just in the city and doesn't include the metro area. Seattle barely has more in the city. You should go by metro surrounding area that most NHL city population rankings do already which nets them at 2.5M which is just a little less than Vancouver's metro 2.6M area according to wiki. They are already larger than some current NHL teams.

Also you should consider the Winterhawks popularity, that of which has been greater than Seattle Thunderbirds on a consistent year by year basis. Averaging 5500-6000 fans a game on average, sometimes higher. Check that link I sent you and see for yourself.

They wouldn't be my first choice, Quebec has that, but I they would probably be my next choice in the West. Have to see how Seattle does.

Edited by Junkyard Dog