The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic

mll

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Forbes list it at $285 million.

So depends if and what relocation fees get tacked on. 

So the buyer is going to get a great deal, providing they are allowed (by the league) to move the team, and the relocation fee isn’t 400 plus.  The Quebec mayor said, not too long ago, they were ready to take a team on short notice.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Won’t relocating the Coyotes to a new city cost some kind of fee to the league?  New owner buys the team, and pays a relocation fee too?  

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doubt it's nearly as much of the cost of a $650 million dollar expansion fee. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking about the cost to buy the team plus any relocation fee.  What is that club worth?  300 - 500 to buy?  Then 200 - 300 to the league for relocation?  So maybe 500 - 800 total?  

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Forbes list it at $285 million.

So depends if and what relocation fees get tacked on. 

Winnipeg paid according to our favourite source, wikipedia:

The reported purchase price was $170 million, with $60 million going to the NHL as a relocation fee.[12]

Compared to the expansion fees of $650 million paid by the Krakheads and $500 million by the Golden Showers.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Since when is 650,000 people sufficient for a relocated team? The Trail Blazers, an NBA team, are not dynamic on the back of being too small. 

Cannot attract other major league franchises.

I disagree is all. 

That's just in the city and doesn't include the metro area. Seattle barely has more in the city. You should go by metro surrounding area that most NHL city population rankings do already which nets them at 2.5M which is just a little less than Vancouver's metro 2.6M area according to wiki. They are already larger than some current NHL teams.

Also you should consider the Winterhawks popularity, that of which has been greater than Seattle Thunderbirds on a consistent year by year basis. Averaging 5500-6000 fans a game on average, sometimes higher. Check that link I sent you and see for yourself.

They wouldn't be my first choice, Quebec has that, but I they would probably be my next choice in the West. Have to see how Seattle does.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Winnipeg paid according to our favourite source, wikipedia:

Compared to the expansion fees of $650 million paid by the Krakheads and $500 million by the Golden Showers.

If the Coyotes don’t have an arena to play in, won’t they have to move?  They probably are behind on paying the city for the arena lease from previous years, and the city has had enough.  Pay up, or get out.  

In all honesty, at 8-11x the amount, there'd be no shame in the league letting the Coyotes fold only to have another organization fork out expansion fees to set up another team elsewhere.  Or, there might be shame, but all that cash going to the owners as expansion fees makes the shame more than bearable.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-says-coyotes-future-is-in-arizona/c-325998880

"First of all, I don't think the Coyote franchise is going anywhere," he said. "I think the city of Glendale is negotiating.

"There's no secret that Alex Meruelo, who's the owner of the Coyotes, is looking at his options to build a new arena somewhere else in greater Phoenix and I think the city of Glendale basically said to the Coyotes, you have to sign a 20-year lease or we're not going to renew."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonder if both the Lions and Whitecaps would do better if they offered:

4 tickets

4 hot dogs

4 bottled water or soda

4 foam claws or 4 foam hands

4 Daypass for Transit 

for $140 if they'd sell out BC Place? 

Replace the soda with beer and probably.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the Coyotes don’t have an arena to play in, won’t they have to move?  They probably are behind on paying the city for the arena lease from previous years, and the city has had enough.  Pay up, or get out.  

They could, or they could fold.  The post above by Surfer has the NHL speculating that it's all a negotiating ploy, but first of all, it's just speculation, and second of all, it's an article posted by the league of count bettman trying to spin his baby hard.  Of course they're going to spin the team will be staying.  Until it doesn't.  Stay, that is.  Or exist, for that matter.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because I was thinking Dad/Mom/2 kids.

If they want to get new fans they need kids to get into the game. (Especially the CFL)

A family pack and fun/party pack would work for me.

But yeah those types of things could be enticing but winning attracts too. If I recall correctly neither team has been that good last few seasons.

53 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe they will move somewhere temporarily.

While a new arena is built?

Where do the Suns play?  Could it fit both...

Suns play downtown at the same Arena the Coyotes first played in, but it had been renovated recently

• Thanks 1