The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

I’m wondering if it would make sense to relocate the Coyotes to a 2nd tier city where they would be THE team.  No playing second fiddle to the NBA, NFL, or MLB.  A place where fans would be so appreciative of “joining the big boys” that they worship the teams’ every move.  Kind of like the Roughriders in Saskatchewan.

Wondering if a team like Boise old make sense?   Or something even less extreme like Green Bay where the fans are already known to be crazy (in a good way).  An NHL franchise in Green Bay would obviously play second fiddle to the Packers, but they’d be the only other game in town.  

14 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m wondering if it would make sense to relocate the Coyotes to a 2nd tier city where they would be THE team.  No playing second fiddle to the NBA, NFL, or MLB.  A place where fans would be so appreciative of “joining the big boys” that they worship the teams’ every move.  Kind of like the Roughriders in Saskatchewan.

Wondering if a team like Boise old make sense?   Or something even less extreme like Green Bay where the fans are already known to be crazy (in a good way).  An NHL franchise in Green Bay would obviously play second fiddle to the Packers, but they’d be the only other game in town.  

It would be tricky since even without a major sports team, the city would still follow college football. 

That said I guess Omaha, Nebraska or Louisville, KY seems to fit your description

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I think this was the hope of a franchise like Columbus.  Honest question has that worked?

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed.

Bettman had no qualms or hesitations in getting out of Atlanta so why hold onto Arizona?   

Because Bettman never paid out of the leagues’ pocketbook to prop up Atlanta like he did with Arizona. Allowing the Coyotes to move would basically be like admitting to the owners that was a mistake. Awkward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed.

Bettman had no qualms or hesitations in getting out of Atlanta so why hold onto Arizona?   

Part, at least part of the original equation with Bettman?

17 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Because Bettman never paid out of the leagues’ pocketbook to prop up Atlanta like he did with Arizona. Allowing the Coyotes to move would basically be like admitting to the owners that was a mistake. Awkward. 

Was full regional coverage throughout the US.  To maximize TV revenue.

Now that Vegas is in place, it might be easier to move a team?

9 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Clearly changing from Phoenix to Arizona didn't help.

Perhaps go bigger and call them the America Coyotes.

I still think they should have sold that team to Vince McMann

they could play in the Thunder Dome

they could have Doan in the Dome

they could have Hockey/wrasslin double headers

Shane is only 44 he could still go another 15 years in the ring

the Coyotes would become Americas hockey team

10 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That franchise has been circling the drain for years. When I lived there in 2001 I could go to a game for $10 bucks and the arena would still be half empty. Stop trying to prop up a failed experiment and move the team to a Hockey city already. 

Just refuses to flush 

27dd252c-e79b-4226-b14b-130746483645_tex

• Haha 1

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive