Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic


mll
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Clearly changing from Phoenix to Arizona didn't help.

 

Perhaps go bigger and call them the America Coyotes.

I still think they should have sold that team to Vince McMann

they could play in the Thunder Dome

they could have Doan in the Dome

they could have Hockey/wrasslin double headers

Shane is only 44 he could still go another 15 years in the ring

the Coyotes would become Americas hockey team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 
 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

 

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 
 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

 

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive

I feel like this is Bettman's pride and joy brining hockey to the desert.

 

Remember in the Vegas conference Bettman reference The Coyotes and Matthews with pride ? 

 

I kind of feel hockey being successful in Arizona is a legacy he has been obsessing about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There will be one year to get things set up for the move.  If Huston drops the ball, the Quebec City will be there to pick it up.  

Quebec would be a nice to happen. But it won't. The League will not want to start shuffling teams around. Detroit definitely will never want to go back to the Western Conference. Columbus wouldn't either. So we're probably looking at Houston, Kansas City, or Portland. Or some real wild card choices. I was not aware though that Houston not only has a rink but they have an owner set to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Quebec would be a nice to happen. But it won't. The League will not want to start shuffling teams around. Detroit definitely will never want to go back to the Western Conference. Columbus wouldn't either. So we're probably looking at Houston, Kansas City, or Portland. Or some real wild card choices. I was not aware though that Houston not only has a rink but they have an owner set to go. 

Is it wise to base where to relocate a dying franchise on which conference it will play in?  That could just be moving from the frying pan into the fire, no?  Quebec is a guaranteed success.  Is Huston?  Is Portland?  Is Kansas City?  If the league is going to try to force relocation based on similar reasons to why they went to Arizona, especially now when they need revenue, I see another disaster.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is it wise to base where to relocate a dying franchise on which conference it will play in?  That could just be moving from the frying pan into the fire, no?  Quebec is a guaranteed success.  Is Huston?  Is Portland?  Is Kansas City?  If the league is going to try to force relocation based on similar reasons to why they went to Arizona, especially now when they need revenue, I see another disaster.  

Houston Aeros was one of positive things in the WHA. The reason why they didn't survive the merger into the NHL is the WHA insisted on the 3 Canadian Teams and one US team. They settled on Hartford, not Houston. By the way Metro Houston is over 7 million people, and 2.3 million people in the city itself. So unlike Arizona there is a hockey link.

They also have a natural rival in Dallas. Portland is a great WHL city. Kansas City, well they had the Scouts, but they also have an arena. 

 

But yes if other owners don't want to move to the west, you aren't going to have an Eastern Conference with 17 teams and 15 in the West. 

Quebec's best bet is either Buffalo or Florida  moving. (Despite Florida's, resurgence, if the Panthers don't get more fans now, I don't think there's much more you can do there.) 

 

Bottom line is nothing is more of a disaster than the Coyotes. Might as well be chasing a road runner and using Acme products. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Quebec???

 

They just signed a new TV deal - there's likely a penalty if they remove a US market.  Arizona is one of the largest markets and growing.   They stay in those markets because it's probably more profitable at the overall level even if they are losing money locally.

 

Quebecor's owner is in favour of the separation of Quebec from the rest of Canada and was even active politically before withdrawing for personal reasons.  Not sure the NHL will be comfortable granting him a team given his views.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Relocation to Minneopolis?

 

Wondering if it would be possible to.....

 

1) Change the name of “Minnesota Wild” to St.Paul Wild.

 

2) Relocate the Coyotes to Minneopolis and have another Minnesota-based hockey franchise there.

 

Reasoning being this:

 

1) The state of Minnesota is a hockey hotbed

2) You can get a real hockey rivalry between Minneopolis and St.Paul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 
 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

 

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive

Phoenix is a huge TV market, that's why Bettman wants a team there.

 

Realistically, they would have fared much better if they had stayed in Phoenix, instead of the move out to Glendale.

 

I've been to games at the Glendale arena, it's a beautiful facility, in possibly THE worst possible location for market access.

 

Will see if they actually leave the State or find a way to move back downtown. I know that they have been looking for an alternative for a number of years.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...