The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive

I feel like this is Bettman's pride and joy brining hockey to the desert.

Remember in the Vegas conference Bettman reference The Coyotes and Matthews with pride ? 

I kind of feel hockey being successful in Arizona is a legacy he has been obsessing about

Even if the NHL and the team both would like to relocate the Coyotes, I highly doubt they can get it done in a year. Even if they try and focus on it full-time. And they don’t even have a full year to work on it. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There will be one year to get things set up for the move.  If Huston drops the ball, the Quebec City will be there to pick it up.  

Quebec would be a nice to happen. But it won't. The League will not want to start shuffling teams around. Detroit definitely will never want to go back to the Western Conference. Columbus wouldn't either. So we're probably looking at Houston, Kansas City, or Portland. Or some real wild card choices. I was not aware though that Houston not only has a rink but they have an owner set to go. 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Quebec would be a nice to happen. But it won't. The League will not want to start shuffling teams around. Detroit definitely will never want to go back to the Western Conference. Columbus wouldn't either. So we're probably looking at Houston, Kansas City, or Portland. Or some real wild card choices. I was not aware though that Houston not only has a rink but they have an owner set to go. 

Is it wise to base where to relocate a dying franchise on which conference it will play in?  That could just be moving from the frying pan into the fire, no?  Quebec is a guaranteed success.  Is Huston?  Is Portland?  Is Kansas City?  If the league is going to try to force relocation based on similar reasons to why they went to Arizona, especially now when they need revenue, I see another disaster.  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is it wise to base where to relocate a dying franchise on which conference it will play in?  That could just be moving from the frying pan into the fire, no?  Quebec is a guaranteed success.  Is Huston?  Is Portland?  Is Kansas City?  If the league is going to try to force relocation based on similar reasons to why they went to Arizona, especially now when they need revenue, I see another disaster.  

Houston Aeros was one of positive things in the WHA. The reason why they didn't survive the merger into the NHL is the WHA insisted on the 3 Canadian Teams and one US team. They settled on Hartford, not Houston. By the way Metro Houston is over 7 million people, and 2.3 million people in the city itself. So unlike Arizona there is a hockey link.

They also have a natural rival in Dallas. Portland is a great WHL city. Kansas City, well they had the Scouts, but they also have an arena. 

But yes if other owners don't want to move to the west, you aren't going to have an Eastern Conference with 17 teams and 15 in the West. 

Quebec's best bet is either Buffalo or Florida  moving. (Despite Florida's, resurgence, if the Panthers don't get more fans now, I don't think there's much more you can do there.) 

Bottom line is nothing is more of a disaster than the Coyotes. Might as well be chasing a road runner and using Acme products. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Quebec???

They just signed a new TV deal - there's likely a penalty if they remove a US market.  Arizona is one of the largest markets and growing.   They stay in those markets because it's probably more profitable at the overall level even if they are losing money locally.

Quebecor's owner is in favour of the separation of Quebec from the rest of Canada and was even active politically before withdrawing for personal reasons.  Not sure the NHL will be comfortable granting him a team given his views.

Relocation to Minneopolis?

Wondering if it would be possible to.....

1) Change the name of “Minnesota Wild” to St.Paul Wild.

2) Relocate the Coyotes to Minneopolis and have another Minnesota-based hockey franchise there.

Reasoning being this:

1) The state of Minnesota is a hockey hotbed

2) You can get a real hockey rivalry between Minneopolis and St.Paul.

9 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive

Phoenix is a huge TV market, that's why Bettman wants a team there.

Realistically, they would have fared much better if they had stayed in Phoenix, instead of the move out to Glendale.

I've been to games at the Glendale arena, it's a beautiful facility, in possibly THE worst possible location for market access.

Will see if they actually leave the State or find a way to move back downtown. I know that they have been looking for an alternative for a number of years.

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Relocation to Minneopolis?

Wondering if it would be possible to.....

1) Change the name of “Minnesota Wild” to St.Paul Wild.

2) Relocate the Coyotes to Minneopolis and have another Minnesota-based hockey franchise there.

Reasoning being this:

1) The state of Minnesota is a hockey hotbed

2) You can get a real hockey rivalry between Minneopolis and St.Paul.

there's a reason those places are called the twin cities -- they are effectively the same place, and there's no way they can support two teams. 

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

The Houston Luckies might have to relocate to Burns Lake if the Coyotes end up moving there? No way that town can support 2 pro hockey teams. 

This and anywhere the Coyotes go will need to be a rabid hockey market, because the team will be terrible for at least 5 years.  Will Huston, and other suggested US cities support a newly arrived NHL team through five very bad years?  Quebec will, that’s a certainty.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

This and anywhere the Coyotes go will need to be a rabid hockey market, because the team will be terrible for at least 5 years.  Will Huston, and other suggested US cities support a newly arrived NHL team through five very bad years?  Quebec will, that’s a certainty.  

I don’t know the Mississauga area that well but what about those guys?  They are a rabid hockey market and ignoring metropolitan areas, the city actually has more people than both Vancouver and Winnipeg.  

I’m also thinking about another Northern California area such as San Francisco, Sacramento, or Oakland.  Cross town rival of San Jose + players already love Cali. 

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t know the Mississauga area that well but what about those guys?  They are a rabid hockey market and ignoring metropolitan areas, the city actually has more people than both Vancouver and Winnipeg.  

I’m also thinking about another Northern California area such as San Francisco, Sacramento, or Oakland.  Cross town rival of San Jose + players already love Cali. 

Would the Leafs allow another team in their area?  Didn’t we try northern California with the white skated Golden Seals?  Might work now.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1