Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic


mll
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Relocation to Minneopolis?

 

Wondering if it would be possible to.....

 

1) Change the name of “Minnesota Wild” to St.Paul Wild.

 

2) Relocate the Coyotes to Minneopolis and have another Minnesota-based hockey franchise there.

 

Reasoning being this:

 

1) The state of Minnesota is a hockey hotbed

2) You can get a real hockey rivalry between Minneopolis and St.Paul.

there's a reason those places are called the twin cities -- they are effectively the same place, and there's no way they can support two teams. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

The Houston Luckies might have to relocate to Burns Lake if the Coyotes end up moving there? No way that town can support 2 pro hockey teams. 

This and anywhere the Coyotes go will need to be a rabid hockey market, because the team will be terrible for at least 5 years.  Will Huston, and other suggested US cities support a newly arrived NHL team through five very bad years?  Quebec will, that’s a certainty.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

This and anywhere the Coyotes go will need to be a rabid hockey market, because the team will be terrible for at least 5 years.  Will Huston, and other suggested US cities support a newly arrived NHL team through five very bad years?  Quebec will, that’s a certainty.  

I don’t know the Mississauga area that well but what about those guys?  They are a rabid hockey market and ignoring metropolitan areas, the city actually has more people than both Vancouver and Winnipeg.  
 

I’m also thinking about another Northern California area such as San Francisco, Sacramento, or Oakland.  Cross town rival of San Jose + players already love Cali. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t know the Mississauga area that well but what about those guys?  They are a rabid hockey market and ignoring metropolitan areas, the city actually has more people than both Vancouver and Winnipeg.  
 

I’m also thinking about another Northern California area such as San Francisco, Sacramento, or Oakland.  Cross town rival of San Jose + players already love Cali. 

Would the Leafs allow another team in their area?  Didn’t we try northern California with the white skated Golden Seals?  Might work now.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All Quebec and Hamilton have to do is make sure their development team is in their own backyard. 
 

Canada sounds really nice for a lot of Canadian players...

 

By bringing in their farm team to Abotsford, the Canucks could assemble an entire team’s depth for a franchise on the rise because marginal players felt safer for their families, when being called up and sent down.

Many marginal Canadian players playing in the NHL could make better Canadian teams.

 

I believe Hamilton is big and on the rise enough to attract a team, but a new stadium would have to be built. The downtown core rivals that of downtown Edmonton during the day, Winnipeg at night, and the general ride into Buffalo any day in terms of general aesthetics; a definite upgrade over Cleaveland. 
 

… debatable…

 

But the crazy hockey population is definitely there as all of the disgruntled Leafs fans whose grandfathers were young when they last won the Cup, are instant Tiger Cats fans. Because what else they’d be called. They just need To bring back an AHL team there for their own. Bring back the AHL Bulldogs.

 

Quebec is an absolutely beautiful place with about 1,000,000 hockey starved fans in and around it. Think about it as if you hadn’t eaten since 1995. But you can’t die. And that hunger is always there. Imagine a world without the Canucks.

 

There.
 

A lot of French player potential, especially in this new Cap Era, UFA structure and their general patriotism to a place they don’t even remember, so they had to write it on their car’s license plates so they could remember what they can’t remember; Lindros style. (Too soon? GM?)

 

If you don’t want to watch it all, go to 15:19.

If you’re interested in a very candid interview with his perspective on his whole affaire with the team, the please be my guess. For I rather enjoyed it myself.

 

 

I think given what’s in the air, perhaps the two places where it makes most sense in terms of fan build, are Quebec and Hamilton, CA; where life is stable, and there’s no humanitarian crisis because of the 31% on its way out. It’s safe.

 

Edited by Me_
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

The Houston Luckies might have to relocate to Burns Lake if the Coyotes end up moving there? No way that town can support 2 pro hockey teams. 

Haha - I grew up in Houston and with most of those players.

They’re long defunct, but no way they’d relocate to Burns Lake where the water bottles turn to ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 1:01 AM, grandmaster said:

This team has lost crazy amounts of money since it’s first inception. Bettman has strangely fought hard in keeping the team there and for a time had the NHL foot the bill when a previous owner went bankrupt. 
 

There has to be a reason. Something that we don’t know about, a dirty secret of some sort.  Nothing else really makes sense…..

 

Mad Love Secrets GIF by Warner Archive

Nothing strange about it. Arizona is a major USA market. The NHL just signed major TV deals for the USA and part of that deal is based on market exposure. As an earlier poster pointed out this is likely a negociating ploy by Glendale. If memory serves the city is losing mega bucks running the facility. If all else fails Houston makes a lot of sense. Texas is booming, hockey history with the Aeros, a natural rivalry with Dallas. Quebec is a dream and doesn't deserve a team. Ontario would support another team but that will be a franchise sale at + $1 billion not a relocation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Relocation to Minneopolis?

 

Wondering if it would be possible to.....

 

1) Change the name of “Minnesota Wild” to St.Paul Wild.

 

2) Relocate the Coyotes to Minneopolis and have another Minnesota-based hockey franchise there.

 

Reasoning being this:

 

1) The state of Minnesota is a hockey hotbed

2) You can get a real hockey rivalry between Minneopolis and St.Paul.

 

Can't see the NHL being interested in re-directing fans and sponsorship money from an existing team.   If there's another team in Minnesota, part of the Wild fans will cheer on for this new team but how many completely new NHL fans will they attract.  It could even impact the Wild's revenue negatively if they lose fans and corporates decide to share their investment across both teams.

 

It seems more likely that they will target a market that has the potential to grow a new fan base and expand the brand.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Nothing strange about it. Arizona is a major USA market. The NHL just signed major TV deals for the USA and part of that deal is based on market exposure. As an earlier poster pointed out this is likely a negociating ploy by Glendale. If memory serves the city is losing mega bucks running the facility. If all else fails Houston makes a lot of sense. Texas is booming, hockey history with the Aeros, a natural rivalry with Dallas. Quebec is a dream and doesn't deserve a team. Ontario would support another team but that will be a franchise sale at + $1 billion not a relocation. 

Why would it be a negotiating ploy?

 

The Coyotes are in arrears on their current rent which is a pittance.  How would asking for more in unpaid rent help the city?

 

The team can’t pay its bills and the city wants tenants who can.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mll said:

 

Can't see the NHL being interested in re-directing fans and sponsorship money from an existing team.   If there's another team in Minnesota, part of the Wild fans will cheer on for this new team but how many completely new NHL fans will they attract.  It could even impact the Wild's revenue negatively if they lose fans and corporates decide to share their investment across both teams.

 

It seems more likely that they will target a market that has the potential to grow a new fan base and expand the brand.

 

Excellent points as usual mll.

 

Green Bay really intrigues me for some reason.  Outside of the NFL, the NHL would be their biggest pro sport in town. Green Bay is definitely a city in which its fans gets bat$&!# crazy behind if the NFL is of any indication.

Edited by Patel Bure
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Why would it be a negotiating ploy?

 

The Coyotes are in arrears on their current rent which is a pittance.  How would asking for more in unpaid rent help the city?

 

The team can’t pay its bills and the city wants tenants who can.

Why were they in talks up until a week ago then? Yes, they owe almost $1.5 mill of which $400 K is 4 months overdue. I am assuming (which is a questionable exercise) that the current ownership group needs certainty if they are looking for partners or simply want to add more money themselves. I wouldn't argue that moving them out wouldn't be what happens. Send them to Houston. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Why were they in talks up until a week ago then? Yes, they owe almost $1.5 mill of which $400 K is 4 months overdue. I am assuming (which is a questionable exercise) that the current ownership group needs certainty if they are looking for partners or simply want to add more money themselves. I wouldn't argue that moving them out wouldn't be what happens. Send them to Houston. 

They owe the city 1.5 mil for rent!  What a friggin’ disaster of a franchise.  OEL and Garland must be so happy to get to a city that actually cares about hockey, and have an owner who’s cheque’s won’t bounce.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They owe the city 1.5 mil for rent!  What a friggin’ disaster of a franchise.  OEL and Garland must be so happy to get to a city that actually cares about hockey, and have an owner who’s cheque’s won’t bounce.  

… and apparently they are always late paying bills and the city has had to be chasing them for years to get paid.

 

Heck they are only $1.5 million behind after receiving a crap ton of expansion money.

 

This is with the city taking a big operating loss and not charging them much in the first place.

 

The league needs to stop beating this horse to death and move on, it is embarrassing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...