The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Eichel to the Flames

Speculation is that Buffalo is asking for 4 first round picks in return for Eichel. If this is true ... and there is some wiggle room, I wonder if Calgary can make a deal. 

Trade Proposal= Sean Monahan, and 3 first round picks unprotected (22, 23,24) straight up for Eichel. (*Contingent if Buffalo is not on Monahan's 10 team no trade list).

Each team gets what they are after. Calgary gets the "answer" to McDavid, brining in a rival to make the battle of Alberta all the more interesting and competetive. Eichel and Tchacuk on the same line would be filthy!

Buffalo gets a player in Monahan who is only 2 years older at 26. He is a proven goal scorer who has had a couple rough seasons. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good too.

All in all, both teams walk away with what they want and Eichel gets his fresh start, albeit not in the Big Apple ;)

Thoughts? Would this be enough to get a deal done for Eichel?

...and then he says he  won't play for Calgary, then flames hooped even more (who would even take him from Calgary then)?

I don't see him bringing Calgary a cup and it is a big gamble, so why bother?

How these guys with huge contracts expect to be on winners, when they are paid to be the difference in the 1st place

Definitely do understand the asking price (Eichel's got potential and if he stays healthy he'll be worth both the salary and the trade cost).  If Calgary would stomach that risk, it'd be high risk but also high reward.

If I'm Buffalo though, I'd ask for Monahan for starters ("replace" Eichel), but then push hard for either Hanifin or Andersson because the Sabres defense will need help (Dahlin had an off year and the other candidates for spots are either unproven -- e.g. Samuelsson/ Bryson, mainstays who are punching above their weight class e.g. Colin Miller, or cast-offs e.g. Hagg/ Pysyk [who's a 3rd pair guy]; Jokiharju and Butcher are offensive guys).  Craig Anderson and Dell will need all the defensive help they can get.

This is the problem with high end picks...they turn into high end contracts that are virtually untradeable. It was hard to trade Luongo, who was signed to such a good deal (good for Vancouver) that it was considered unfair practice to acquire the talent for such a low price (hence the new rules to prevent teams from ever signing those unfair deals again). Now imagine if Lu had a $10m pricetag hanging around his neck...like an anchor...

McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Marner, Benn, Seguin etc...these players will live and die in their current contracts, they're untradeable. No team has the assets to return back and quite frankly, what team would. You basically destroy your future talent pool (players that will play for under 1m bucks in the near future), have to give up something on your roster now for a minimal gain (maybe 10-15 goals or 20-30 pts over the player you give up...plus 3 or 4 more potentially just like him)? Very few teams have that precious combination to make this type of deal:

1 - capspace

2 - a dispensible asset that wouldn't be needed to compliment the incoming talent

3 - a stocked talent cupboard so they can give up 2-3 picks

4 - be on the cusp of competing...in other words, have the complimentary pieces in place at relatively good deals so they can absorb the big hit

5 - the stomach to ride out the huge contract and possibly be looking at a crippling buy-out in 5-6 years (ie Suter / Parise type situations)

6 - potentially stomach the recapture penalty if it came to that

Buffalo is living in a dream world if they think they'll ever get more than a prospect, a player and a 1st for him.

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Eichel is over hyped, imo. He isn't a difference maker on the Sabres, and most likely isn't on any other team. I'd rather have Horvat over Monahan any day. 

Eichel >>>> than either Horvat or Monahan...straight up. When you factor in the contract, then I'd take Horvat over either of them.

If you said that Buffalo will trade us straight up for Horvat and will retain 50% (so we get him close to the same AAV as Horvat), then I'm pulling the trigger on that deal.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Eichel >>>> than either Horvat or Monahan...straight up. When you factor in the contract, then I'd take Horvat over either of them.

If you said that Buffalo will trade us straight up for Horvat and will retain 50% (so we get him close to the same AAV as Horvat), then I'm pulling the trigger on that deal.

I wouldn't say he's >>>>> than Horvat. Bo plays hard minutes, has thankfully been healthy and scores close to 60 points a season. For his own sake, let's see how Eichel's health turns out.

9 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Eichel is over hyped, imo. He isn't a difference maker on the Sabres, and most likely isn't on any other team. I'd rather have Horvat over Monahan any day. 

You have absolutely no idea what you’re dealing with with Eichel… 78 points in 68 games one year ago. With all-in-all no help but S.Reinhart. If he gets and stays healthy he’s a top five center in the league. His reach, IQ, skating, power, two-way prowess, smooth hands, shot, and aggressiveness are an incredible rare combo. He’s a 90 point player without any help on the worst organization in the league from distractions and stress from the top office to the mess of systems and coaching on the ice. He’s a bonafide 110-120 point skilled power forward on even a 50% better middle of the pack team. 

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

You have absolutely no idea what you’re dealing with with Eichel… 78 points in 68 games one year ago. With all-in-all no help but S.Reinhart. If he gets and stays healthy he’s a top five center in the league. His reach, IQ, skating, power, two-way prowess, smooth hands, shot, and aggressiveness are an incredible rare combo. He’s a 90 point player without any help on the worst organization in the league from distractions and stress from the top office to the mess of systems and coaching on the ice. He’s a bonafide 110-120 point skilled power forward on even a 50% better middle of the pack team. 

Is that worth 4 1sts in value tho? its one thing to get him at 10 mil as a UFA, but to pay that much and also gut your top prospect pool might not get you that much further ahead in the end.

If its going to be a deal like that, a team is going to have to already be stocked with young ELCs that are contributing, as well as not have any other salary mistakes in their lineup. Thats not Calgary, e..g.

Buffalo is going to have to come down in price.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, ZH96 said:

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, to some degree. I personally wouldn't sell the farm for him. Even though he was injured last year, imo, he isn't someone i'm going to bet the house on to bring home the cup. Each to their own. And yeah, I have a very good idea what's for real.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Is that worth 4 1sts in value tho? its one thing to get him at 10 mil as a UFA, but to pay that much and also gut your top prospect pool might not get you that much further ahead in the end.

If its going to be a deal like that, a team is going to have to already be stocked with young ELCs that are contributing, as well as not have any other salary mistakes in their lineup. Thats not Calgary, e..g.

Buffalo is going to have to come down in price.

Yes it is. Eichel is severely un-appreciated and made out to be a cancer because he’s stuck in Buffalo. He’s a great young man from the way he treats kids in the community to his dedication in training to be better. And his skill set is very very rare. The asking price from Buffalo to Vegas to get Eichel was

D Nicolas Hague, F Peyton Krebs,

F Reilly Smith, and a 1st. That is worth Eichel all day. That is the equivalent to us having to trade O.Juolevi, J.T. Miller, one of A.McDonough/D.Zlodeyev/C.Focht, and a 1st. If Eichels neck and health is being dramatized and/or he’s good to go. I would pull the trigger on that type of deal without hesitation. Imagine..

Podkolzin-Eichel-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Lockwood

Motte-Dickinson-Sutter

Gadjovich-Highmore-MacEwen

Ekman-Larsson - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Rathbone/UFA/Trade - Myers

Hunt - Schenn

Demko

Halak

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

Yes it is. Eichel is severely un-appreciated and made out to be a cancer because he’s stuck in Buffalo. He’s a great young man from the way he treats kids in the community to his dedication in training to be better. And his skill set is very very rare. The asking price from Buffalo to Vegas to get Eichel was

D Nicolas Hague, F Peyton Krebs,

F Reilly Smith, and a 1st. That is worth Eichel all day. That is the equivalent to us having to trade O.Juolevi, J.T. Miller, one of A.McDonough/D.Zlodeyev/C.Focht, and a 1st. If Eichels neck and health is being dramatized and/or he’s good to go. I would pull the trigger on that type of deal without hesitation. Imagine..

Podkolzin-Eichel-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Lockwood

Motte-Dickinson-Sutter

Gadjovich-Highmore-MacEwen

Ekman-Larsson - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Rathbone/UFA/Trade - Myers

Hunt - Schenn

Demko

Halak

I'd want Jim to do that deal for sure. But if the ask was Miller + our next 3 1sts I don't do that one. We will need those picks and/or their potential value to other teams to make the rest of the roster work out. But that particular mix of players for sure we do that. 

We'd have to include more salary in our deal tho, possibly Pearson but there's no way he waives for Buffalo. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd want Jim to do that deal for sure. But if the ask was Miller + our next 3 1sts I don't do that one. We will need those picks and/or their potential value to other teams to make the rest of the roster work out. But that particular mix of players for sure we do that. 

We'd have to include more salary in our deal tho, possibly Pearson but there's no way he waives for Buffalo. 

Buffalo is not asking and never was asking for “Four 1st round draft picks” or even three. They are asking for the “equivalent” to that. And then they asked Vegas for that package I mentioned above. Which I’d do all day and say is worth less than four 1st. The reason I have us including a lesser prospect forward (McDonough/Zlodeyev/Focht) compared to Vegas having to give Krebs; is because we’d be trading Miller compared to Vegas trading R.Smith. And Miller is younger and a fair bit better than Smith. We would not need to include anymore salary. Miller ($5,250,000) plus Juolevi ($750,000) equals $6,000,000 cleared and $10,000,000 (Eichel) added. That’s only $4 Million in cap space added and we have Ferland going on LTIR soon which is $3.5 Mil in space added plus some players being assigned to the AHL for now and we already have over $10,000,000 in cap space as it stands. If you add in Eichel is signed for five more years and this deal would save us having to re-sign and potentially give a raise to Juolevi next year (RFA) and save having to re-sign and give a raise to Miller in two years (UFA). Than it’s actually saved cap space in a way for us.

• Vintage 1

Lots of interesting takes on Eichel and what it could or should cost for a team to acquire him. If he comes back from the neck injury healthy, he is an impact player, top 10 talent in the league when he is on his game.

I'm curious where he will land and how much it will cost, especially if 2 clubs really want him bad, a bidding war could ensue (ie. ANA and NYR). Both have the cap space, prospect pool and picks to make something happen. I also believe the Flames could make a solid pitch should they choose to do so.