The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Sean Couturier

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Flyers re-sign Sean Couturier

Not a chance Petey should get more than this. Couturier is proven to almost be a PPG player and is their top PK forward. The only argument is that this takes him until he's 36 and perhaps it's viewed as paying him more later in his career when he may not be worth this much anymore which allowed to lower his AAV. Going to have to take less on a bridge or go for the 8x8 max at this point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hard to compare since Couturier is 28 so Petey would be signing for his entire prime years with an 8 year contract.

I was thinking more from a production pov but thats a good point. Not sure how Petey's age really factors in to the calculation. He's already nearly a PPG player so I'm not sure anyone expects him to really surpass that. 

Edited by JM_

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this has to be at or very very close to Petey's ceiling doesn't it? 

Hard to compare the two given Couturier is a UFA and this is all UFA years. This is actually quite a good price considering it's all UFA years...compared to something like Barzal at 3 x $7m or even Aho at 5 x $8.5.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hard to compare the two given Couturier is a UFA and this is all UFA years. This is actually quite a good price considering it's all UFA years...compared to something like Barzal at 3 x $7m or even Aho at 5 x $8.5.

Aho was an offer sheet though, so it was an aggressive offer in hopes they wouldn't match. By the way, still waiting on that Pettersson offer sheet. Not a huge fan of the Barzal bridge, but as long as the bridge is around 7 million or less and at least 3 years, I'll take it.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Not a chance Petey should get more than this. Couturier is proven to almost be a PPG player and is their top PK forward. The only argument is that this takes him until he's 36 and perhaps it's viewed as paying him more later in his career when he may not be worth this much anymore which allowed to lower his AAV. Going to have to take less on a bridge or go for the 8x8 max at this point.

That's when you trade him to Arizona to play out the final year or 2

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Aho was an offer sheet though, so it was an aggressive offer in hopes they wouldn't match. By the way, still waiting on that Pettersson offer sheet. Not a huge fan of the Barzal bridge, but as long as the bridge is around 7 million or less and at least 3 years, I'll take it.

Aho's also a better, more complete, player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Looks like the Flyers are copying the Canes homework.

Canes would never sign a 28 yr old to a 8 yr deal? They never signed Hamilton 28 top 8 D man in the league..

Couturier =1 yr left at 4.5 million then 8 yrs @ 7.75  crazy....Maybe 4 X 7.5 million now signed until age 37..lol  lol

This is now the system is supposed to work.   Put your time in and get rewarded with a legacy deal.   Sean C earned this deal and i'm happy for him.   One of the better two way players in the entire game.   Lines up with O'Reillys deal well too.    EP and QHs deals just keep looking tougher and tougher to do though.   Just can't wait until they get them. 

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Canes would never sign a 28 yr old to a 8 yr deal? They never signed Hamilton 28 top 8 D man in the league..

Couturier =1 yr left at 4.5 million then 8 yrs @ 7.75  crazy....Maybe 4 X 7.5 million now signed until age 37..lol  lol

I just meant Svechnikov signed for the exact same cap hit.

Merely an amusing coincidence.