The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which GOALIE in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which GOALIE in their prime are you taking?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm taking Dominik Hasek.  2 Hart Trophies.  At his prime he was not only the best goalie in the world, he was the best PLAYER in the world...

I’m with you on this one. In addition to the 2 Harts, you can add 6 Vezinas, 3 Jennings, and 2 Lester B Pearson trophies. I can’t imagine many would have a fuller/larger trophy case.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The Dominator is my pick. No doubt Roy and many others were dominant in their times and revolutionized the position but no one dominated like Hasek. 

Also I think Ryan Miller deserves to be on the list ahead of many others. A lot of these guys were good goalies on great teams Ryan was a great goalie on an absolutely brutal team if he had played on a even remotely half decent team in his prime he would have cups. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

This one was tough.  Went with Hasek given for 4 years or so he was blazing hot...Roy had a better career that lasted longer, Sawchuk too.   But as far as primes go his was pretty unreal and it wasn't like he didn't have some excellent competition either.  

Hasek.  Period.

The ONLY other goaltender to ever even come close to him for any point in time was Tim Thomas by the numbers and that was BARELY 1 season and ONLY by the basic numbers alone.

Ya, of course the argument is and can be made for Dryden, Roy, Brodeur and Sawchuk

But at days end, NOBODY was more dynamic and integral and just simply unbeatable as Hasek on a run and gun team for as long as he was.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brodeur, not only a great goalie. They had to make rules so he couldn't handle the puck as well as he did. (The trapezoid) 

No debate he was a great goalie. That being said I also think historically he is over rated when compared to other great goalies. The system his team played largely contributed to his success of course they go hand and hand.  However take prime Ryan Miller who didn't even make this list and put him on that team and maybe he's in conversation for greatest of all time. 

• Like 1