The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was a bullet dodged?

Rate this topic

Ballisticsports.

How lucky was Jim that Seattle didn't take a different approach on constructing their team?

Had Seattle offered EP an offer sheet and he signed it, Jim wouldn't have been able to take as long working out a deal with EP as he has had up until now

Maybe he may have lost focus on other acquisitions or maybe people would have asked for more knowing the cap pressure he was under?

Teams don't offer life preservers for taking cap relief, they are usually  throwing anchors

If Seattle had wanted to make fireworks and a instant rivalry in trying to sign EP, that would have done it

Getting such a young  skilled centre that is still blossoming, that you never had to draft or develop with time or growing pains and grab the best years of his career at  a cost lower than buying a older UFA with less to give would have been a win for Seattle

Teams offer sheet good players because they are tough to acquire, and realistically teams should be trying to get better by any means possible and not worry if Jim will be your friend 

This is a discussion board and with no hockey right now, how much different could the Canucks have looked right now had  Seattle done that and EP accepted it?

Could JB have kept his word and still have been aggressive?

Do you believe it would not have changed a thing and we'd have the same team as now, only with EP signed?

Just assuming your scenario that Petey signed an offer sheet and JB matched…

-the OEL trade was completed 5 days before offer sheets were allowed.

-the Jason Dickinson deal was already completed as well.

-the Schmidt deal was done the day before offer sheets.

So basically any of the UFA signings like Poolman or Hamonic may not have happened or just been delayed. I don’t think the team would have been substantially different but no offer sheet definitely allowed for a more relaxed and thoughtful free agency. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Just assuming your scenario that Petey signed an offer sheet and JB matched…

-the OEL trade was completed 5 days before offer sheets were allowed.

-the Jason Dickinson deal was already completed as well.

-the Schmidt deal was done the day before offer sheets.

So basically any of the UFA signings like Poolman or Hamonic may not have happened or just been delayed. I don’t think the team would have been substantially different but no offer sheet definitely allowed for a more relaxed and thoughtful free agency. 

These would have gone through, But had Seattle arranged a deal front end loaded or ? 

Depending what Seattle offered EP, We would not be so much in control of our own destiny regarding players and cap and why i asked if we may have dodged a bullet?

6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

These would have gone through, But had Seattle arranged a deal front end loaded or ? 

Depending what Seattle offered EP, We would not be so much in control of our own destiny regarding players and cap and why i asked if we may have dodged a bullet?

It wouldn’t matter much if Seattle front-loaded the contract because it would still be averaged over the lesser of five years or the length of the contract to get the average annual cap hit.

The more interesting part of your question is what would the team look like if JB didn’t match. The team is better with EP on it but Jim would have had 10M more to spend in free agency and 4 more 1 round picks. I think he would have kept the 2 for the Wright and Bedard drafts but that leaves two more to use in trades. I think if he lost Petey he would have definitely been very aggressive with the 10M and two firsts on UFAs and trades. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

It wouldn’t matter much if Seattle front-loaded the contract because it would still be averaged over the lesser of five years or the length of the contract to get the average annual cap hit.

The more interesting part of your question is what would the team look like if JB didn’t match. The team is better with EP on it but Jim would have had 10M more to spend in free agency and 4 more 1 round picks. I think he would have kept the 2 for the Wright and Bedard drafts but that leaves two more to use in trades. I think if he lost Petey he would have definitely been very aggressive with the 10M and two firsts on UFAs and trades. 

He'd have to bring in someone impactful. The rest of the players are gonna see Petey gone which will signal a huge red flag. Especially guys like Horvat/Miller who are at that age of wanting to win and 2 years from FA. 

Worst case scenario losing Petey snowballs and other players(Horvat/Miller) follow suit wanting to leave.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Seattle's guaranteed lottery picks in both the Wright and Bedard years.

As much as I love Petey we’d take that and laugh to the bank lol. Wright and Bedard would set us up for the next decade and a half. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Exactly this.  Also I don't see how Seattle lets multiple firsts go, even if they get a franchise center.  One Eichel-esque string of bad injury luck, coupled with a $10+ million contract, and the young franchise could turn on Petey esp. considering it would've likely cost them a shot at several blue-chip prospects.   

Edited by Phil_314
  • Vintage 1

I don't really see this as being "lucky" or "unlucky" as you could literally come up with a milliion different scenarios and make the same claims. Too much subjectivity here to really have anything to stand on here in my opinion.

For example, one could argue that Carolina could have offer sheeted EP as well instead of JK. Do we claim we're lucky there too? Do we just make this claim whenever a team can offer sheet one of our players and don't pull that trigger? I guess this whole discussion seems like one of the sillier ones to me.

The other factor is that even if Seattle (or any other team) presented an offer sheet, would Petey even sign it? Any offer sheet at a reasonable amount would've been matched easily and any aggressive offer would be a tough gamble to overpay and give up picks.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The other factor is that even if Seattle (or any other team) presented an offer sheet, would Petey even sign it? Any offer sheet at a reasonable amount would've been matched easily and any aggressive offer would be a tough gamble to overpay and give up picks.

Interestingly, there are many examples of top-paid players/their teams doing SFA in recent seasons. From Eichel, McD, CHI, LA & TO's storied bums.

This is another recent league(noted) trend, as Price had apparently become the first 10 figure(AAV) participant in a finals. Timing serves us well, as it's prob making GM's hesitant to fish hard for whoppers.

If Seattle offered up EP some ridiculous offersheet I'd probably let him walk. 4 first round picks from an expansion team with a contract we'd be hard pressed to match? Thats a tough one to swallow. We'd obviously be worse off in the short term, but having Miller slide over to centre would mitigate a lot of the damage.

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Biggest bullets dodged lately?

- sneakin' into the 2020 bubble, & advancing to PO's(fulfilling Miller deal). This quickly, utterly justified the JTM deal, at a time that hating detractors were already too F***ing noisy.

- Then Jacob getting hurt vs Vegas. This enabled TD to dazzle brilliantly. If JM doesn't get dinged up, we prob sign him & lose TD to expansion, never fully realizing his true quality before it's too late.

I'd also contend the ED helped prompt the reasonable Dickenson acquisition.

& the pandemic(tanking economy, esp disposable income)...

- likely further pushed the 'Yotes to enhance our deal

- expedited the Comets to move west

- & encouraged exp'd BC vets to sign with our franchise, opting to play closer to home

Not necessarily "dodging bullets" in every case, but it seems Van has benefited recently from a number of varied, well-timed occurrences & developments.

I still contend the biggest bullet we dodged during the JB era was not having PLD fall to 5th in the 2016 draft since we had a deal in place to trade him immediately for PK Subban. ;) imagine if that had gone through. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1