The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blackhawks re-sign Connor Murphy

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

From the sound of it he is a top 4 right Dman for them and their assistant captain. I think he is definitly work the extra 1.9 mil above Poolman considering he put up 15x the points.

Yeah, he’s been really good for Chicago. Arguably their #1D, and certainly a top pairing level defensive Dman. And while most of his value is on the defensive side, he’s still produced at around a 25 points/82 games rate the past couple years, while playing well over 20 minutes a game and taking the tough matchups and more difficult minutes. Team leader in blocks and second in hits. RH shot with good size.

$4.4M x 4 years seems like a bargain.

I wouldn’t have blinked at something closer to $6M x 5 years for Murphy.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

43 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

From the sound of it he is a top 4 right Dman for them and their assistant captain. I think he is definitly work the extra 1.9 mil above Poolman considering he put up 15x the points.

Poolman isn't paid for his offensive output.  Neither is Murphy.

Murphy is not that special. I noticed him two years ago when he was trying to be Chicago's tough guy in their games against us. 

Nothing special about him. Are we calling him a top pairing dman simply because of the minutes that he got on a very shallow Chicago team? 

On 9/6/2021 at 1:02 AM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Murphy-Garland straight up deal? Who’s does it?

Garland is great for scoring depth.

Let's say he puts up 55-65 pts, we're in good shape. We've got another 60 point guy in Horvat, we've got Pettersson, Boeser and Miller who are PPG players, we've got Dickinson, Pearson, Podkolzin and Hoglander who could score between 30pts to 55 pts each. 

If we've got a trade chip, I'd say Olli Juolevi is the guy we shop. He's got to be worth a 2nd round pick at this point, there's teams that need a good, young shutdown defenseman and if Jack Rathbone comes in a lights it up, Juolevi could bring in another scorer, preferably a center to really make us a strong cup contender. I don't think folks realize how much better the team has gotten. 

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Garland is great for scoring depth.

Let's say he puts up 55-65 pts, we're in good shape. We've got another 60 point guy in Horvat, we've got Pettersson, Boeser and Miller who are PPG players, we've got Dickinson, Pearson, Podkolzin and Hoglander who could score between 30pts to 55 pts each. 

If we've got a trade chip, I'd say Olli Juolevi is the guy we shop. He's got to be worth a 2nd round pick at this point, there's teams that need a good, young shutdown defenseman and if Jack Rathbone comes in a lights it up, Juolevi could bring in another scorer, preferably a center to really make us a strong cup contender. I don't think folks realize how much better the team has gotten. 

OTT is shopping rookie Logan Brown.  A young big (6'6") centre.  But it looks like he couldn't crack the NHL yet. And threaten to play in Sweden if not traded.  Drafted in the same year as OJ.

So maybe OJ for Brown + 2nd?

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

OTT is shopping rookie Logan Brown.  A young big (6'6") centre.  But it looks like he couldn't crack the NHL yet. And threaten to play in Sweden if not traded.  Drafted in the same year as OJ.

If he can’t crack the roster for Ottawa, who is fairly weak at C, how is he going to get a spot with EP-Horvat-Dickinson-Sutter?

38 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If he can’t crack the roster for Ottawa, who is fairly weak at C, how is he going to get a spot with EP-Horvat-Dickinson-Sutter?

Dunno.

Was thinking future replacement for Sutter and getting a 2nd.

36 minutes ago, BPA said:

Dunno.

Was thinking future replacement for Sutter and getting a 2nd.

Brown is a decent target for a team that is weak at C and has nothing to lose this year (Arizona, Buffalo). But don’t think Benning is primarily interested in the future right now.

17 hours ago, BPA said:

Would Ottawa want Juolevi though? They have Sanderson