The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - St.Louis

To St.Louis: Tyler Myers (750k retained), Zack MacEwen (50% retained) = approx. 5.6M

To Vancouver: Ivan Barbashev, Robert Bortuzzo, 4th round pick = approx 3.5M

- St. Louis does not have a competitive defense corps right now, and are trying to land a defenseman: https://theathletic.com/2773804/2021/08/18/the-offseason-isnt-over-but-is-it-time-to-be-concerned-about-the-blues-defense/

- Per that same article, they've tried to purse Ryan Suter, Scott Mayfield & Zdeno Chara to no avail

- In that article, it is stated that Bortuzzo has been extremely respected within the org. but has been shopped as recently as last off-season to fit in an upgrade cap-wise

- St.Louis is nearing the cap and does not have a full NHL roster really, this is one way of achieving that

- Barbashev is a former linemate of Conor Garland in jr. where they dominated the Q

- He's a 20-30 pointer who plays all three zones, can play C or LW, and was a valuable member of St.Louis' cup winning team

- While St.Louis needs to upgrade on Bortuzzo, he would fit in well competing for the 3rd pairing here

- Benning went out and fixed the Canucks cap hierachy/structure this off-season, but Myers is still somewhat overpaid for what he brings

- This gives the Canucks some breathing room on the Petey and Hughes contracts immediately

- Barbashev is decently physical and strong on the puck

- Barbashev has a decent cap hit for what he brings

- Barbashev would also fill in that 'Russian' factor the Canucks may be seeking as they have not had luck in welcoming Russian players into the fold over the last several years...decades

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Hoggie - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Barbashev - Podkolzin

Motte - Dickinson - Sutter

Highmore

OEL - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Juolevi - Bortuzzo

Schenn, Keeper

Demmer

Halak

St. Louis has a lot of money tied up in Faulk, Krug, Scandella, and Parayko (with Parayko due for a raise if he sticks around).

I'm not sure they could fit Myers salary in there, they likely need a cheaper option. I wouldn't be surprised to see Perunovich earn a regular role this year or next.

Edit: and just like that, Parayko is re-signed haha

Edited by Master Mind

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

St. Louis has a lot of money tied up in Faulk, Krug, Scandella, and Parayko (with Parayko due for a raise if he sticks around).

I'm not sure they could fit Myers salary in there, they likely need a cheaper option. I wouldn't be surprised to see Perunovich earn a regular role this year or next.

Edit: and just like that, Parayko is re-signed haha

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With Parayko re-signed the chances of this happening are zero...

Not the first time a transaction happens right when I make a proposal hahah. Oh well

• Cheers 1