The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Training Camp PTO's?

Canucks have had some success with bringing in camp invitees on a tryout. With a tight cap and top 9 spots all but locked, there may not be much to look at currently in the UFA bargain bin.

One name worth mentioning? Nikita Gusev (dressing room and camp influence for kid Podkolzin)?

Other notables (now updated):

- Big Z Chara (now with NYI? 1 year deal?)

- Mark Jankowski (NJ)

- Corey Schneider (for Abbotsford?)

- Ryan Donato

- Bobby Ryan

- Alex Chiasson  - signed with Canucks PTO

- Thomas Jurco

- Michael Dal Colle (high pick prospect...remember him?)

- Tyler Ennis (Ott)

Do the Canucks bring in the next Owen Nolan, Brendan Morrison or Peter Schaeffer for this year's camp?

Edited by Lui's Knob
addition
  • Cheers 1

I was thinking Ryan was the kind of player we could use, but I actually think we have pretty good depth as it is. On forward, we have Big Mac, Petan, Bailey, Lockwood, Di Giuseppe and perhaps Gadjovich. On D with have Hunt, Bowey, Brisebois, and Schenn. 

Not many of these guys I would want to see in the regular lineup, but they should collectively be capable of filling the inevitable holes that will form due to injury.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:42 PM, Lui's Knob said:

Canucks have had some success with bringing in camp invitees on a tryout. With a tight cap and top 9 spots all but locked, there may not be much to look at currently in the UFA bargain bin.

One name worth mentioning? Nikita Gusev (dressing room and camp influence for kid Podkolzin)?

Other notables:

- Big Z Chara (Boston connection)

- Mark Jankowski (Weisbrod pick)

- Ryan Donato

- Bobby Ryan

- Alex Chiasson

- Thomas Jurco

Do the Canucks bring in the next Owen Nolan, Brendan Morrison or Peter Schaeffer for this year's camp?

Chara's camp has stated he won't come West. It sounds like he would be more interested in retiring than signing a PTO.

Definitely some similarities on our list. Would be interested to see if Dal Colle could re-invent himself as a 4th line winger or not. Give him a similar deal to Brady Keeper so the Canucks can minimize risk sending him to Abby without teams taking him on waivers for the year. Still young, can play either wing, led a team to the Memorial cup, really only broke in the AHL one full season ago.

I think Gusev would be a shrewd PTO or even a >1.125M signing (although I would prefer Anisimov who can play C in case of injury). But Goose and Podkolzin were both part of SKA Saint Petersburg at the same time - Podz got 3 games in, while Gusev lead the team (by a huge margin) in points in season and then again in the playoffs.

Tyler Bozak is another player that be great on a PTO if he slides much longer IMO.

Dmytro Timashov is another player I'd like to see at training camp or signed on a 2-way with the idea of playing in Abby. He had a good AHL playoff before the two COVID seasons. Was claimed by Detroit off waivers in COVID season 1 but barely got any games due to a visa issue, then was sought after by Lou Lam as deadline depth. Abbotsford could still use a couple forwards.

Alex Chiasson is a player that always impressed me as a hard worker who is hard to play against in the corners and wins a lot of puck battles. He is a big guy a good penalty killer that could possibly play a middle six role if called upon in a pinch.

I think the Canucks are pretty full at the wings but Chaisson may be a good 12/13 guy for them if he were able to beat out someone else battlinf for a spot..

Online beat reporter in Edmonton (Matheson?) and other social media users are suggesting Canucks are kicking the tires on UFA Tyler Ennis for a camp tryout. Smallish but speedy forward; bounced around a few teams, but might be good 4C depth since Motte appears to be out a while yet and Sutter in the twilight of his career is a walking injury bug? 

Edited by Lui's Knob

Other notables:

- Big Z Chara (Boston connection)

- Mark Jankowski (Weisbrod pick)

- Ryan Donato

- Bobby Ryan

- Alex Chiasson

- Thomas Jurco

- Tyler Ennis (rumored interest from the team)

Good points on the Weisbrod connection to Jankowski. I also wouldn’t mind giving

Artem Anisimov and Dmytro Timashov a look.

Ben Kuzma writes that Benning is looking for a PTO that will come in and compete for a spot:

‘If we’re bringing a guy in on a PTO (professional tryout), I want to be honest that he’s got a chance to sign a contract, if he performs well’ — Canucks general manager Jim Benning

With camp starting in a couple days the UFA invite list is really slim pickings....

• Gabriel Fontaine - 24 year old C but a career AHL'er (maybe wanting to be a tweener/injury filler?)
  • Michael Haley - bottom six/grinder
  • Alex Chiasson - I feel this is a target PTO for Benning (middle six/PK/PP2 for Oilers the last while) *NOW SIGNED TO A PTO*
  • Erik Gustafsson - 5th team in 5 years? journeyman status
  • Jon Gillies - ECHL/AHL callup goalie depth
  • Michael Dal Colle - big body, former high draft pick prospect, but is nearing full draft bust status (Benning might take a flyer on him like he's done with other busts)
  • Ben Hutton.....nawhhhh
  • Cory Schneider - signed w islanders
  • Nikita Gusev - signed on with Leafs

Still think Alex Chiasson is the guy coming to camp (especially with Motte injured and Pettersson likely not starting camp). Rick Dhaliwal name dropped Brandon Pirri as well (journeyman player).

Edited by Lui's Knob

- Mark Jankowski (NJ)

- Ryan Donato

- Bobby Ryan

- Alex Chiasson

- Thomas Jurco

- Tyler Ennis (Ott)

You can cross Bobby aRyan off your list 

- Mark Jankowski (NJ)

- Ryan Donato

- Bobby Ryan

- Alex Chiasson

- Thomas Jurco

- Tyler Ennis (Ott)

Madison Bowey is basically our PTO.

To be honest, I think that we already got our PTO guy in Madison Bowey (I know that he’s not an ACTUAL PTO guy, but he’s of the same calibre).  

For some odd reason, I’m really looking forward to seeing what Bowey can do.  He’s youngish, physical, and might rediscover his game in a familiar home environment.