Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2021 at 2:22 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon

McDavid - Horvat - Hyman

Huberdeau - Barzal - Point

O'Reilly - Toews - Bergeron

Scheifele, Stone, Marner

 

Toews - Makar

Theodore - Pietrangelo

Pelech - Pulock

Reilly, Morrissey, Chabot

 

Price

Fleury

Blackwood, Kuemper

 

Lots of pre-existing chemistry here, which is usually a key for Canada. The top line all trains together. McDavid and Hyman will be teammates and McDavid played with Horvat at the WJC. The third line all plays in the same conference and have played Playoff rounds against each other. The fourth line is full of experience and two way play. Hyman is obviously only there to be with McDavid and having Horvat that high in the lineup is also debatable. Toews' experience will be valued highly and his matchup ability will be very useful, but this assumes he looks good this year. 

 

Defense is all teammates playing together. Canada's defense isn't as stacked as it used to be. Pelech and Pulock make it as a pairing because of their defensive and two-way ability. 

 

Goalies are Price and whoever is playing the best. 

Hyman?? really?? You must have drank too much of that Leafs cool-aid. If you're thinking of a Kunitz comparison, just remember that Crosby played with Kunitz for SEVERAL years so that's why he got the shot in 2014. Kunitz is also a better player than Hyman and a proven winner / pivotal player on the teams he's played on. Hyman hasn't even stepped on the ice beside McDavid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 11:22 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon

McDavid - Horvat - Hyman

Huberdeau - Barzal - Point

O'Reilly - Toews - Bergeron

Scheifele, Stone, Marner

 

Toews - Makar

Theodore - Pietrangelo

Pelech - Pulock

Reilly, Morrissey, Chabot

 

Price

Fleury

Blackwood, Kuemper

 

Lots of pre-existing chemistry here, which is usually a key for Canada. The top line all trains together. McDavid and Hyman will be teammates and McDavid played with Horvat at the WJC. The third line all plays in the same conference and have played Playoff rounds against each other. The fourth line is full of experience and two way play. Hyman is obviously only there to be with McDavid and having Horvat that high in the lineup is also debatable. Toews' experience will be valued highly and his matchup ability will be very useful, but this assumes he looks good this year. 

 

Defense is all teammates playing together. Canada's defense isn't as stacked as it used to be. Pelech and Pulock make it as a pairing because of their defensive and two-way ability. 

 

Goalies are Price and whoever is playing the best. 

Im sorry but Horvat isn't making the team, Ryan O'Reilly probably be the preferred choice

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New IIHF's president Luc Tardif told AFP that China's participation at the tourney is under review given the level of the team.  He says being beat 15-0 is not good for anyone, not for China or hockey.  They will take a decision by the end of October.  Should China be excluded Norway would likely get the spot as they are the next ranked team.

 

in french:  https://www.france24.com/fr/info-en-continu/20210927-hockey-sur-glace-la-participation-de-la-chine-au-tournoi-masculin-des-jo-2022-en-question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Alex Pietrangelo mandatory? 

 

Each participating country was asked to announce 3 players who will definitively be part of their selection.  Armstrong probably selected him because he'll likely be their most veteran D and he's also known him for a long time.

 

The long list of players are due mid-October - expected to be about 50 players or so.  

 

Edited by mll
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still can’t believe that idiot Trudeau is sending Canadian athletes to a country that kidnapped 2 Canadians for over 3 years on made up charges. Their government mocked us and even threatened to have the Michaels potential killed when they were going through their kangaroo courts. Regardless of their recent release, we should not be taking part in anything in China. As much as I love sports and hockey, taking part in this event is disgusting and disrespectful for the two Michaels & their families.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huberdeau - McDavid - Mackinnon

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron

Barzal - Point - Stamkos

O'Reilly - Scheifele - Stone

Marner or Couturier

 

Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot - Makar 

Chychrun - Ekblad

 

Price 

Binnington

Hart or Blackwood

 

Canada just looks insane up and down that lineup. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 12:00 AM, 250Integra said:

Alex Pietrangelo mandatory? 

Canada’s best all around D man, highly decorated and experienced on the international stage, and the Canadian D man most capable of playing 5v5 or PK against the world’s best. Gets it done all over the ice and seems to elevate his play at the right time. He was a beast for STL in their cup run and for Vegas in the playoffs this past year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Huberdeau - McDavid - Mackinnon

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron

Barzal - Point - Stamkos

O'Reilly - Scheifele - Stone

Marner or Couturier

 

Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot - Makar 

Chychrun - Ekblad

 

Price 

Binnington

Hart or Blackwood

 

Canada just looks insane up and down that lineup. 

 

Goaltending ain’t the best. I don’t think any of our 3 would crack the American roster, maybe not the Russian roster either (off the top of my head).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Goaltending ain’t the best. I don’t think any of our 3 would crack the American roster, maybe not the Russian roster either (off the top of my head).

Not sure what your talking about.. Price would be on any teams roster.   As good as they come when everything is on the line.  

If i had a to choose one goalie in a game 7, id choose Price in a second.  

Edited by EddieVedder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Not sure what your talking about.. Price would be on any teams roster.   As good as they come when everything is on the line.  

If i had a to choose one goalie in a game 7, id choose Price in a second.  

His numbers are garbage in 3 of the last 4 nhl seasons, and they’re merely solid but unspectacular in that other season.  IMO it’s a gamble to take a guy just for what he might do in a high stakes game. The Americans have Hellebuyck, Demko, and Gibson- it’s debatable that Price would crack that trio, though he probably would simply for his wealth of international experience. His body of work in the NHL these past couple years doesn’t stack up to those 3. 
 

Russians have the undebatable best goalie in the world plus backup options like Varlamov, Shestyorkin, and Sorokin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

His numbers are garbage in 3 of the last 4 nhl seasons, and they’re merely solid but unspectacular in that other season.  IMO it’s a gamble to take a guy just for what he might do in a high stakes game. The Americans have Hellebuyck, Demko, and Gibson- it’s debatable that Price would crack that trio, though he probably would simply for his wealth of international experience. His body of work in the NHL these past couple years doesn’t stack up to those 3. 
 

Russians have the undebatable best goalie in the world plus backup options like Varlamov, Shestyorkin, and Sorokin. 

Its a gamble to take a guy who proves time and time again that hes one of the best in a high stakes game?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 3x 1st players named to the Olympic roster as confirmed by the IIHF:

 

CAN:  Crosby  McDavid  Pietrangelo

CZE:   Palat  Pastrnak  Voracek

DEN:   Bjorkstrand  Ehlers  True

FIN:     Aho  Barkov  Rantanen

GER:   Draisaitl  Grubauer  Seider

LAT:     Balcers   Girgensons  Rubins

ROC:   Kucherov Ovechkin  Vasilevskiy

SWE:   Hedman  Landeskog  Zibanejad

USA:   Matthews  Jones  Kane

SLO:   Cernak  Halak  Sekera

SWI:    Hischier  Josi  Meier

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Roger Neilsons Towel changed the title to (Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics
  • -Vintage Canuck- unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...