The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

Rate this topic

Seriously sucks.

Is this China retaliating again?  Don't want to get humiliated by Canada on the ice.  I heard today it could be five weeks they'd have to quarantine in China. 

And because of that the players probably won't be going.

Why?

Why can't the NHL charter a "sick plane".  I'm sure they could afford it.  Even have one at the ready at a Chinese airport for the duration of the Olympics. If the worst happens, and some players come down with COViD while there, they quarantine in the hotel while whatever left of the games there is.  Then after the hockey games are done, whomever had been quarantined, travels separately to be boarded on this reserved plane which flies directly back.  Maybe two planes, one to an American city, and one plane to a Canadian city.  Maybe they'd have to stay in those cities, and quarantine, but at least they'd be in the countries their teams played in, and families lived.

So many great Canadian players we couldn't see in the last Winter Olympics.  Was really looking forward to seeing them dominate.  Just a question in goal.  It would be interesting to see us go up against Demko.

More and more I think the NHL or the players themselves say it’s too risky and pulls out. 17% of the league has caught COVID already this season. A potential 5 weeks out is a long time. That and China is only 45% fully vaccinated. Seeing way too many red flags in addition to the human rights atrocities going on as we speak.

I don’t actually know this, but are attendees required to be fully vaccinated and masked? Are the volunteers required to do so? If not there’s a lot of potential people to pass on the virus to you. And I think it’s fair to say China is definitely not being truthful with its COVID data for number of infections and deaths so we really don’t know how bad it is there right now.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 4

7 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

More and more I think the NHL or the players themselves say it’s too risky and pulls out. 17% of the league has caught COVID already this season. A potential 5 weeks out is a long time. That and China is only 45% fully vaccinated. Seeing way too many red flags in addition to the human rights atrocities going on as we speak.

I don’t actually know this, but are attendees required to be fully vaccinated and masked? Are the volunteers required to do so? If not there’s a lot of potential people to pass on the virus to you. And I think it’s fair to say China is definitely not being truthful with its COVID data for number of infections and deaths so we really don’t know how bad it is there right now.

I agree with you, my personal opinion is, that the players will pull out of Olympic participation in China. I think the risks are too high with being required to quarantine in China for 5 weeks if tested positive. 

If an opt-out happens, I believe the NHL revises schedule and the 3 week break will go away.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Hopefully we see a WCOH in the next year or two. There’s an outside shot he could make the team for the next Olympics as a role player and leader but it wouldn’t be the same. 

Not if they use that goofy setup of teams like last time. 

I'd rather wait for 2026. 

• Cheers 3