The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

Rate this topic

41 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

they have already been announced.  Group A is Canada, US, Germany and China

The Chinese team will be coached by Curt Fraser. The situation with their team is a complicated mess and the IIHF ihas offered to bend their existing rules to allow China to use some foreign players. There is also some thought (unlikely) that they may remove the men’s team from the tournament.

9644305A-02F6-4CFC-92F2-D80AD139EEB3.jpeg

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Now we await the announcement that Canada is boycotting the Olympics...

giphy.gif

There is no way they completely boycott the games. Most I see is a political boycott like havibg the athlete competing under the Canadian Olympic Committee flag or just skip the ceremonies altogether. 

Boycotting the olympics does little to anything other than hurt the athletes training their while life for these moments. Didn't work with Moscow and ain't gonna work this time other than stroking the chinese nationalist ego. Heck it probably gonna further solidify the CCP control and embolden them to be more aggressive than they already are. 

23 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

IMHO while the competition is unique, the Olympics as an event is over-rated and the IOC is corrupt.

I'd rather see a country-based tournament run by the NHL or IIHF. Its the same thing with none of the supporting of the Chinese government. 

44 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

IMHO while the competition is unique, the Olympics as an event is over-rated and the IOC is corrupt.

Strongly disagree.

Olympic hockey is the best hockey tournament in the world. It’s the only time it’s actually best on best.

The IOC may be corrupt but that doesn’t take away from the level of the hockey played.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Ain't half as compelling as it used to be. There was so much mystery before, attached to the Soviet players behind that iron curtain. There was an unspoken confidence & moral high ground from the west, amongst players, media, & most everyday citizens.

Watching old vids from 1972 & '87 will always get the blood boiling, but seriously doubt they'll ever recreate that level of drama.

That said, 2002 & 2010 were pretty cool, weren't they?

edit: Just realized 2022 will be the 50th anny of the Summit Series..that's cool too.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Strongly disagree.

Olympic hockey is the best hockey tournament in the world. It’s the only time it’s actually best on best.

The IOC may be corrupt but that doesn’t take away from the level of the hockey played.

If what you believe is accurate it stands to reason the world's best hockey players may have some leverage over the IOC. A potentially powerful opportunity for change. 

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

with our citizens in jail and all the other nasty crap the Chinese government has been up to, this will be the 1st winter games I don't watch. 

Same. Not excited about this at all and I wish we weren't going.

Two Canadian citizens are being held on trumped up charges and a third had his sentence upgraded to Death, because the Chinese government is upset that we honored an Extradition agreement with the US.

And now we're going to reward this genocidal nation by attending their party? <_<

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah about that the last time they did it....

Well nobody cared. And iihf have one every year so...

sure but its a best of the worst tourney usually. 

I guess if branding matters that much then Olympics it is. For me, all I can do is turn off the tv in this case as I don't want to support the Chinese gov't as Olympic hosts. 

• Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sure but its a best of the worst tourney usually. 

I guess if branding matters that much then Olympics it is. For me, all I can do is turn off the tv in this case as I don't want to support the Chinese gov't as Olympic hosts. 

To each their own but really the only one you are not supporting by not watching on tv is CBC/Bell. Actually on second though not supporting Bell ain't bad.

44 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

To each their own but really the only one you are not supporting by not watching on tv is CBC/Bell. Actually on second though not supporting Bell ain't bad.

pretty much the only statement I can make