The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Science Thread

Ilunga

Aussie ducks learn to swear, can say 'you bloody fool' like a human

"You bloody fool!"

As an Aussie living in Sydney with access to a motor vehicle, I've screamed that expression plenty of times in my life. When someone forgets to use the blinker or slams on the brakes? You bloody fool is a common refrain. Others have probably screamed it at me, too. The one place I wouldn't expect to hear it, though, is at a duck pond. 

How wrong I was.

https://www.cnet.com/news/aussie-ducks-learn-to-swear-can-say-you-bloody-fool-like-a-human/?ftag=CAD-03-10abj4f&bhid=27387568584822941599927611586826&mid=13509450&cid=1494321690

(I can't copy the audio here but it's in the article.)   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

"You bloody fool!"

As an Aussie living in Sydney with access to a motor vehicle, I've screamed that expression plenty of times in my life. When someone forgets to use the blinker or slams on the brakes? You bloody fool is a common refrain. Others have probably screamed it at me, too. The one place I wouldn't expect to hear it, though, is at a duck pond. 

How wrong I was.

https://www.cnet.com/news/aussie-ducks-learn-to-swear-can-say-you-bloody-fool-like-a-human/?ftag=CAD-03-10abj4f&bhid=27387568584822941599927611586826&mid=13509450&cid=1494321690

I saw this on tv last night.

Was laughing my head off. They also had birds perfectly mimicking a baby crying and construction site sounds. Man it was funny. 

• Cheers 2

On 9/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, that part gave me a chuckle as well.

It’s a fascinating topic, though. Especially when you consider that, along with “dinosaur remains,” the Chicxulub impactor, and other collisions like it, may very well have ejected actual living things like tardigrades, dormant bacteria, and various extremophile organisms capable of surviving in space, and deposited them on planets and moons throughout our solar system. Or a similar “seeding” might have been what actually brought life to planet Earth. 

Do you know how long it would take an organism that could actually survive the vacuum of space to reach a planet that has food on it?

Long enough to starve to death. Those tardigrades were in space for like 10 days.

Plus you need to have an absolute sniper of a shot to hit a moving target from another moving target across 390 Million kms...the distance from Earth to Mars. And that's a gimme shot compared to the other planets in the Solar System, let alone other star systems.

This is supposed to be a science thread. Panspermia is science fiction. It's a completely unnecessary theory that makes the explanation for the origins of life even more complicated, and for no reason other than "aliens!"

It's like saying pizza from Domino's is actually from Outer Space, even tho all the ingredients and equipment necessary to make the pizza is already at Domino's

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

"You bloody fool!"

How wrong I was.

Heard about this on the radio yesterday 

A bi lingual parrot.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/17/missing-parrot-british-accent-speaking-spanish-california

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Do you know how long it would take an organism that could actually survive the vacuum of space to reach a planet that has food on it?

Long enough to starve to death. Those tardigrades were in space for like 10 days.

Plus you need to have an absolute sniper of a shot to hit a moving target from another moving target across 390 Million kms...the distance from Earth to Mars. And that's a gimme shot compared to the other planets in the Solar System, let alone other star systems.

This is supposed to be a science thread. Panspermia is science fiction. It's a completely unnecessary theory that makes the explanation for the origins of life even more complicated, and for no reason other than "aliens!"

It's like saying pizza from Domino's is actually from Outer Space, even tho all the ingredients and equipment necessary to make the pizza is already at Domino's

What is science fiction one day becomes reality the next as we increase our knowledge and/or technical expertise,that then helps us increase our knowledge.

https://www.space.com/22880-life-from-space-panspermia-possibility.html

While I totally agree that this is just a theory,theories are all we have for how life originated on this planet.

Another point in the evolution of life that fascinates me is when it became and how life became multi-celled.

Most life before snowball earth was single celled and we postulate that volcanism stimulated the process of single celled to multi celled.

https://theconversation.com/how-snowball-earth-volcanoes-altered-oceans-to-help-kickstart-animal-life-53280 

The earth is nearly 4 billion years old and snowball earth is believed to have occurred between 640-720 million years ago.

I first learnt about this watching Brian Cox's series The Wonders of life.

Edited by Ilunga

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

A huge leap towards Nuclear fusion ?

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/superconducting-magnets-needed-to-power-nuclear-fusion-reactors-exist-and-work/

I believe that our species has the intellects to make this is only a matter of when not if.

From the article:

"In fact, the CFS research and development team boasts that their reactor will be able to turn a glass of water into the electricity usage of one human for their entire lifetime."

Sounds good to me.   

But there's always a caveat:

"If such a powerful machine can produce more electricity than it uses..."

Thus far, hasn't that been the problem with fusion?  That it takes more power than it actually produces?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

"In fact, the CFS research and development team boasts that their reactor will be able to turn a glass of water into the electricity usage of one human for their entire lifetime."

Sounds good to me.   

But there's always a caveat:

"If such a powerful machine can produce more electricity than it uses..."

Thus far, hasn't that been the problem with fusion?  That it takes more power than it actually produces?

Yep that's been the problem so far.

However I do believe if we keep working towards making nuclear fusion a realistic,reliable form of power generation it will happen eventually.

• Cheers 1

William Shatner has a program on RT America called "I Don't Understand" wherein he interviews different people to learn about things he doesn't understand.

In his latest episode, he interviews Neil deGrasse Tyson on astrophysics.

It's kind of a rambling conversation but, hey, it's William Shatner and Neil deGrasse Tyson!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

As I have stated before I am on the spectrum-Aspy. 

When I was growing up their was no recognition of Autism let alone therapies to help those on the spectrum.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/a-breakthrough-therapy-reduced-autism-diagnoses-in-children-by-one-third/

I usually don't buy into the political spin, Australia is the smart country,however these guys deserve a shout out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, if anyone should go...might as well be him.

Star Trek's Captain Kirk is rocketing into space — for real

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/captain-kirk-blue-origin-1.6198720

Not before TJ Hooker!

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1