The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Senators sign GM Pierre Dorion to contract extension

Rate this topic

Initially I figure Melnyk hired him as a GM he could control. PD would do his bidding, mostly ensuring pricey vets were flipped & filtered out for upcoming youth.

As he progresses, would imagine EM gives perhaps 5-10% more leeway(yr by yr) to PD, towards more GM-autonomy.

Long as the scouts keep unearthing gems, PD keeps the gig.

Should it ever blow up, the GM goes from puppet to pinata, pdq.

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Initially I figure Melnyk hired him as a GM he could control. PD would do his bidding, mostly ensuring pricey vets were flipped & filtered out for upcoming youth.

As he progresses, would imagine EM gives perhaps 5-10% more leeway(yr by yr) to PD, towards more GM-autonomy.

Sens owner is so cheap, he makes his employees use both sides of the toilet paper in the office restrooms.

• Haha 1

Wonder what our fans would be saying if we unearthed such gems as Stone, Zinbanejad etc over the past decade.   Go a little longer EK.   Go a little closer we'd be talking about a bunch of tweeners, that were not drafted 6th overall and going wow, great job.   Fact is, OTT has done a way better job of drafting they our club has the last 15 years.   Make it five and it gets a little blurrier.   MG sucked, simply sucked at drafting.   OTT has been one of the better drafting franchises for a long time now.   Dorian .... well ... who wishes we had him instead?  I kind of do.  On Melnyk.   He gets a lot of flak and deservedly so.   Says stupid things and asking and paying for a new liver from his fan base is some Harold Ballard stuff.   Also kicked out of his own company is some heavy stuff too.  Thing is you'd be very hard pressed, just like Wirtz SN, to find anyone in hockey they didn't like him or appreciate him.   A paradox. 

56 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Melnyk will spend to the cap soon.  He says he will.   Also doubled down before blowing it up with Duchene.   What happened next was a comedy of errors maybe, but for sure i can't think of a franchise, that will turn it around as fast as they will lately aside from the TO luck of the draw/Tavares thing.    Better job then NYR.   OTT is doing it right at least. And the dividends started to show last year.   And as for TO.   OTT will beat them every off season which makes it better. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Melnyk will spend to the cap soon.  He says he will.   Also doubled down before blowing it up with Duchene.   What happened next was a comedy of errors maybe, but for sure i can't think of a franchise, that will turn it around as fast as they will lately aside from the TO luck of the draw/Tavares thing.    Better job then NYR.   OTT is doing it right at least. And the dividends started to show last year.   And as for TO.   OTT will beat them every off season which makes it better. 

Haven't been a baseball fan since my youth(ignoring the past 3 decades), but I get a flashback to the tyrannical Steinbrenner/Billy Martin vibe, as a refernce for these 2.

EM seems a mighty calculating sort, now he's got a healthy stash of youth, & will prob try to stay close to the floor(ostensibly to sign all this coming talent). Is this a time he might go after a dwtn arena deal, or threaten to move, and/or sell, to Quebec?

• Cheers 1