The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetical "modern-day" versus "teams of the past" matchups in the four major leagues.

Rubik

Modern-day team versus team of the past (can be any decade)  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People often talk about how easily a modern-day NHL team could beat a team from the 80s or sth... Do you think it's the same with NFL, NBA and MLB as well? Could you name any sport, any era where you think the team of the past would be competitive in today's league or even have an edge perhaps? I've also included a poll, but if you don't feel like filling it out it's more than enough if you just name your league/team (for example: '90s NBA or '70s Steelers) and give us some reasons why you chose that team.

It's a silly topic, but it's off-season so cut me some slack.

Edited by Rubik

28 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't follow that many sports, but I would say that even though today's players could probably skate circles around the players from the 70s and 80s (because many of them are built for lower-body power and speed), rats like Marchand and goons like Milan Lucic or Ryan Reeves would probably be drilled to the ice by enforcers of yesteryear.

However, today's goaltenders wearing pads of the 80s?  They'd get lit up like doobies at a 420 party.

This^^^

Also, the equipment used nowadays are far more advanced meaning faster skaters, harder shots, etc.

But pure toughness, the 70s and 80s bruisers would pummel every single player in the modern era into oblivion. 

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This^^^

Also, the equipment used nowadays are far more advanced meaning faster skaters, harder shots, etc.

But pure toughness, the 70s and 80s bruisers would pummel every single player in the modern era into oblivion. 

An elite pre-salary cap team would be too much for a modern team to handle.

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This^^^

Modern equipment makes even a 120 pound weakling with in virtually an Iron Man type of suit throwing an elbow to the head potentially a lethal weapon.  Back in the "old days", when you threw a hit, you had a chance to injure yourself as well as the opponent.  

I'd like to see Mc crybaby try to use a 70's style 2x4 stick.

I'd like to see Marchand try to take liberties ala he did with Daniel circa 2011 against gretzky... Mcsorely would pound him to oblivion.

I'd like to see Dryden, T.Esposito, Tretiak, etc use today's ultra lightweight pads. or today's goalies use the straw stuffed ones of yesteryear.

Modern wins with modern rules: Teams of the past would be shorthanded the entire game, Scott Stevens would get 5 and a game every shift.

Teams of the past would win with past rules: Modern teams would be too busy diving for a call while the puck ends up in their net. McDavid gets gooned up for his perfect 10's.

MLB, NFL, NBA, I don't watch, so I don't know.

I don't watch enough of other sports to participate in the poll, but I can speak to the NHL.

Modern day players would dominate players from the 20th century, especially in today's rules. If we went by 90s or 80s rules, some of the bigger guys of the days past may take advantage, but even then, players have generally been getting bigger over the years, but less physical.

The biggest difference, especially compared to the 80s and earlier is goaltending for sure. The butterfly style is far superior and any goaltender still using standup (80s style), would struggle mightily and be lit up. McDavid would score 5 goals a game with that goaltending.

Presuming we go best on best, it'd probably be the Oilers or Islanders from the 80's vs. the most recent Lightning squads. 
Ultimately I think the current day NHL squad comes out on top. 

Forwards: I think the current day snipers could pick apart the smaller goalies, esp. since their defenses would be more permissive of the current forwards' advances.
Defense: Hedman (6'6"), Cernak (6'3"), Sergachev (6'3") and McDonagh (6'1") would clean out the 80s skaters who would be used to going coast to coast.  Of course the Semenkos and others of the past would stand up for their stars but current day defensemen are really no slouch.  
Goaltending: Vasilievskiy (6'3") would dwarf greats like Billy Smith of the Islanders and Grant Fuhr of the Oilers (both 5'10").  Without having seen this era, I'd be surprised if they managed to see through screens and tips that are so much a part of current day strategy.  

NBA wise, as a fan it's less surprising to see so many current day stars already high in the all-time scoring rankings, and that in large part is due to the popularity of the 3 pointer.  Steph Curry and Klay Thompson made the shot from outside much more prevalent, and so compared to guys playing on the inside or taking midrange shots, most stars these days (besides Giannis/ Simmons) can regularly hit outside shots.  Heck if you put Jokic against someone like Shaq and he played him from the outside, he would light Shaq up and trade his poster dunks for 3 pointers.

Other sports I don't know.

Edited by Phil_314