The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic season preview from Jeff Paterson.

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

31 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree with almost everything he said - in particular as it pertains to our D, and lack of true shutdown ability.

Only thing I don't agree with is Rathbone. While I believe he is ready, I still see OJ taking that 3rd pairing role to start the season unless he shows poorly in camp. The team has invested a lot into him, and it's time to give him a chance to show what he's really capable of.

And I don't believe Hunt is remotely part of the conversation. He's injury insurance.

I do too, I think they will want to give him playing time to build up his value a little bit, I could see him as a trade bait this season. I'm hoping we could trade him in a package with Myers for an upgrade on our RD. 

Ekman-Larsson - Hamonic

Hughes - TRADE

Rathbone - Poolman

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think Juolevi will get a roster spot before Rathbone.  Different than Jeff's opinion.

Green will play rookies. He also has Hughes to play the role most suited to Rathbone? 

Green is a also a system oriented bench boss.  The 3rd pair is usually a match up role, bonus points & extra minutes if you can plug PK minutes. That speaks much more to Juolevi as a larger two way D. Than Jack Rathbone as another PMD who's best suit is running a PP. We even have OEL to run our 2knd PP.

I think Rathbone will start in Abbotsford playing top minutes.  Unless he can bump OEL to 3rd pair.

sorry, nope, can't see it. one thing that this group, led by benning and green, has demonstrated time and time again is that they're not going to stifle a player by playing them beneath the level they've demonstrated they can handle. unless rathbone has taken a considerable step back from where he was at the end of last season, he's an nhl player. it seems crystal clear that he has the inside track for the third pairing and will have to play himself out of the role. juolevi will be competing with brad hunt for "4th pairing" with luke schenn (I expect the canucks to carry 8 d) unless he comes to camp lightyears ahead of where he was last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

sorry, nope, can't see it. one thing that this group, led by benning and green, has demonstrated time and time again is that they're not going to stifle a player by playing them beneath the level they've demonstrated they can handle. unless rathbone has taken a considerable step back from where he was at the end of last season, he's an nhl player. it seems crystal clear that he has the inside track for the third pairing and will have to play himself out of the role. juolevi will be competing with brad hunt for "4th pairing" with luke schenn (I expect the canucks to carry 8 d) unless he comes to camp lightyears ahead of where he was last year. 

Bang on. Under Green, best players make the team. Of course, it’s up to Rathbone to show he’s better, which I believe he will. But if OJ excels then I’ll be as happy as anyone in regards to that.

And yes, I feel a bit dirty to be on Patterson’s J-Pat’s side. ::D

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think Juolevi will get a roster spot before Rathbone.  Different than Jeff's opinion.

Green will play rookies. He also has Hughes to play the role most suited to Rathbone? 

Green is a also a system oriented bench boss.  The 3rd pair is usually a match up role, bonus points & extra minutes if you can plug PK minutes. That speaks much more to Juolevi as a larger two way D. Than Jack Rathbone as another PMD who's best suit is running a PP. We even have OEL to run our 2knd PP.

I think Rathbone will start in Abbotsford playing top minutes.  Unless he can bump OEL to 3rd pair.

You think that someone is going to bump OEL?  Zero chance.  He will be on our top pairing all season long.  

25 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Bang on. Under Green, best players make the team. Of course, it’s up to Rathbone to show he’s better, which I believe he will. But if OJ excels then I’ll be as happy as anyone in regards to that.

And yes, I feel a bit dirty to be on Patterson’s J-Pat’s side. ::D

Not incorrect; not the whole story either!  Best player for the role available is a more honest description. IMO he has to beat OEL or Hughes for top 6 minutes. Will that happen?

Dallas, for example, could have 6'4'' Jamie Benn & 6'3'' Dennis Gurianov on its second line? Winnipeg will have 6'5'' Dave Lowry, 6'4'' Pierre Luc Dubois. LA 

Vancouver may not be able to compete if we have 200lb Larsson, 185lb Hughes & we compliment that with 190lb Rathbone.  And we will certainly need two of the three killing penalties. Also not a role suited to Jack. Do we want Hughes blocking shots? We have to fill out a roster that has at least one  LHD strong enough to handle Matthew Tkachuk, Alex Tuch, Timo Meier, etc.. I dont disagree Jack Rathbone looks pretty exciting. We have to have a line up prepared for all match ups.

It simply means we may not have the right role to throw him in to...  

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You think that someone is going to bump OEL?  Zero chance.  He will be on our top pairing all season long.  

No I do not believe Rathbone will beat out OEL. That was the inference.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not incorrect; not the whole story either!  Best player for the role available is a more honest description. IMO he has to beat OEL or Hughes for top 6 minutes. Will that happen?

Dallas, for example, could have 6'4'' Jamie Benn & 6'3'' Dennis Gurianov on its second line? Winnipeg will have 6'5'' Dave Lowry, 6'4'' Pierre Luc Dubois. LA 

Vancouver may not be able to compete if we have 200lb Larsson, 185lb Hughes & we compliment that with 190lb Rathbone.  And we will certainly need two of the three killing penalties. Also not a role suited to Jack. Do we want Hughes blocking shots? We have to fill out a roster that has at least one  LHD strong enough to handle Matthew Tkachuk, Alex Tuch, Timo Meier, etc.. I dont disagree Jack Rathbone looks pretty exciting. We have to have a line up prepared for all match ups.

It simply means we may not have the right role to throw him in to...  

No I do not believe Rathbone will beat out OEL. That was the inference.

Ah gotcha...  well the size on our backend is a bit of a concern, not gonna lie.  That's why I really don't see Hunt even getting a sniff unless we suffer 2-3 injuries on the backend.  

I didn't mind the Myers-Rathbone pairing.  I think we can sneak in Hughes and Rathbone though...  the rest of our d-corps is actually pretty hefty now with the additions of Poolman, OEL and Schenn.  

I am super excited about uptick in speed, agility, athletes.

Garland >> has dazzling agility not seen in Loui Player Name in more than 5 years.

Podkolzin >> would skate circles around Antoine Roussel.

Juolvei > May not be better, but is certainly faster than a 35 year old Alex Edler.  So is OEL.

Dickinson is 10 years (?) younger than Jay Beagle.  

We get a 2knd year from Nils Hoglander, our best athlete. 

I think we can get in on the fore check.  And hound teams in our end instead of sitting back.

It should make us a much more aggressive & up tempo team this year; also suited to EP.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Pattersson seems to want Rathbone to start on the 3rd pairing this season but I’m still not sold on the idea.

I’m still not sure if Rathbone would benefit more from being a 3rd pairing NHL guy next season as opposed to being “the alpha of Abbotsford” (nickname I created for what I hope will be for Rathbone in Abbotsford), but I guess we’ll see how things play out. 

If Juolevi isn’t looking good at camp, then Rathbone should absolutely start on the big club.  

If Juolevi is Atleast 85-90% as good as Rathbone however, then I think you need to slot OJ onto the 3rd pairing for the purposes of asset management.  Even if Rathbone starts in Abbotsford, there’s a very good chance that he’ll still see tons of NHL ice-time during the course of this season (ie one or both of Hughes and OEL do not play a full 82 game season).

Edited by Patel Bure