The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic season preview from Jeff Paterson.

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

Anywho.

this season imo ,.. is going to be an exciting one. Alot of new player pieces are in place that just need to gell be on the same page and play as a team. 

Also exciting is Canucks got tons of players with highlight reel goal potential. 

its a Canuck team full of Bures . Both on Forward group and the leftside D group. Plus Demmmmko.

Go Canucks Go 

Drop the puck...lets go

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

He gave us his opinion of what he thinks will happen this season. His opinion is usually slanted to the negative.

Are you saying that our media should no longer give opinions and only report facts?

Facts certainly must feature high in journalism. I'd think fair and balanced is not too uch to ask for. Frankly I have no time for cheerleading, soft soaping or following the flock

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Facts certainly must feature high in journalism. I'd think fair and balanced is not too uch to ask for. Frankly I have no time for cheerleading, soft soaping or following the flock

Yet you have plenty of time for snivelling whiners who only spew negativity.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Well, as I noted in my post, guys like Miller (or Myers, Pearson, Hamonic, Halak etc) aren't probably here much longer, as Hoglander/Podkolzin (and others) eventually eat up his (their) ice time and cap space. IMO Horvat isn't going anywhere for a good while yet. He's here for another +/-8 years IMO.

Miller, IMO, isn't a 'core' guy. REALLY good support player.

So long as we can continue to hit on late first and later round picks to cycle in to the depth roles they, or their replacements, will be vacating, we'll be fine for the +/- 10 years that this core should still be competitive.

You would have to be crazy to think we're going to let Horvat go b/c he's aging out\up for contract.

• Cheers 1

I don't know if it's puzzling or funny (perhaps both) that so many people are offended that the media has been generally negative about a team during a time when said team has been a dumpster fire for the most part.

When we're ripping through the playoffs and you see a negative or nitpicky article let me know, Until then, get a grip lol

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, Shirotashi said:

Although before JB started his moves, JP was on the hater train as far as I remember so this is a surprise but like many others are/will be doing is eating crow, and an extra large helping... will I be laughing? uh huh as hard as I laughed at the media at the start of the JT Miller news and how we got fleeced...

On 9/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, kanucks25 said:

What works for you may not work for others.

Everyone deals with things differently, especially when it comes to mental health.

I’m pretty surprised this post is coming from someone I disagree with regularly, but I agree. Attack the ideas/opinions, not the people themselves. I sure remember a whole lotta personal elbows thrown at Botchford until he passed away. If we as humanity/society/civilization want a better world to live in we must create it ourselves and it starts with stopping the personal arguments. There’s no point to them other then to try to inflict pain, anger, fear, hate or sadness to another whom you probably know very little about. Why is that necessary to get your views/point across? It isn’t. You can vehemently disagree and refute Patterson without doing that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, Alflives said:

Not an athletic bone in that guy’s body.  

Yep, Canadian sports media is full of guys who’s only real experience with sports is being stuffed into lockers by the jocks! We have had some horribly non-athletic reporters in Vancouver like Tony Gallagher and Patterson but the rest of the country is not much better. I don’t think guys like Eric Francis or Travis Yost have even actually played sports before in there life either...Yost may be the worst reporter in Canadian sports I am not convinced the guy has ever been to a game in his life!! 

• Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Yep, Canadian sports media is full of guys who’s only real experience with sports is being stuffed into lockers by the jocks! We have had some horribly non-athletic reporters in Vancouver like Tony Gallagher and Patterson but the rest of the country is not much better. I don’t think guys like Eric Francis or Travis Yost have even actually played sports before in there life either...Yost may be the worst reporter in Canadian sports I am not convinced the guy has ever been to a game in his life!! 

Yup, these guys should stick to reporting facts, but when they interject their opinions (as some kind of expert) that’s when it’s laughable.  I remember Neil McRae calling the Sedins “sisters”.  He had no understanding of just how tough NHL players are, who handle the puck like Daniel and Henrik.  Do we have any sports’ reporters here who actually played at a high level?  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do we have any sports’ reporters here who actually played at a high level?  

Scott Rintoul is a marathon runner. He was participating in the Boston Marathon, that had the cooking pot terrorist attack. He was a university level small wide receiver.

Bob Marjonovich was a University level football player and coached football in his off time

Farhan Laljhi is a high school level foot ball coach.

Donnie Taylor played Lacrosse, not sure if he was playing up to "Salmonbelly" level or not.

Barry McDonald was a college/university baseball guy.

Julio Cara-can I buy a vette, was the  2nd, or 3rd to last Canadian Quarterback to start a CFL game.

Not sure about the rest.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Scott Rintoul is a marathon runner. He was participating in the Boston Marathon, that had the cooking pot terrorist attack. He was a university level small wide receiver.

Bob Marjonovich was a University level football player and coached football in his off time

Farhan Laljhi is a high school level foot ball coach.

Donnie Taylor played Lacrosse, not sure if he was playing up to "Salmonbelly" level or not.

Barry McDonald was a college/university baseball guy.

Julio Cara-can I buy a vette, was the  2nd, or 3rd to last Canadian Quarterback to start a CFL game.

Not sure about the rest.

So isn’t it interesting how the ones who actually played a sport (even at these lower levels of sport) have more respect for the NHL players than the guys who didn’t?  

Plus, no hockey guys.  Crazy in such a market there are no hockey guys.  

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2021 at 11:39 AM, RWMc1 said:

Yet you have plenty of time for snivelling whiners who only spew negativity.

Why are you afraid of facts, why are you afraid of other opinions. I have no desire to be part of a flock. I believe I praise good point but can find fault with other aspects, is that so bad. I'd say I'm 50-50 i n praise and faults. I certainly don't live in a Bubble. I enjoy healthy discourse

Edited by Fred65

9 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

The biggest hurdle for Rathbone is again, tie goes to Juolevi due to Rathbone being exempt from waivers. Rathbone can’t be as good or even slightly better then Juolevi. He has to be CLEARLY better then Juolevi.

And I'd add further that 'clearly better' needs to include at least at par with Juolevi, defensive play and ability to be a secondary pk'er. He can't just be 'ok' defensively and make a bunch of dynamic, offensive plays.

We don't need an additional dynamic, offensive/PP D, as exciting as those traits are (and Rathbone has them in spades). We need a guy who can start shifts in his own end, get the puck out and play some PK minutes.

Now by all means if Jack can do those things at that same level, on top of his more dynamic offensive play, the spot is his. I'd wager though that spending most of the year in Abby working on those things, playing big minutes in all situations (including those harder, defensive ones) will better prepare him for maybe earning that two way role, in the future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

So isn’t it interesting how the ones who actually played a sport (even at these lower levels of sport) have more respect for the NHL players than the guys who didn’t?  

Plus, no hockey guys.  Crazy in such a market there are no hockey guys.  

Yeah, its telling. They treat the players, and the sport, and the ups and down that come with it with respect and understanding while these other clowns (just like some CDC posters) just trash everything and act like being a GM or a professional athlete is easy stuff and they could do better. Lazy, out of shape no accounts that couldn't be bothered to put in the work themselves but oh so quick to pull up to the keyboard with a stack of pancakes and a coffee to rip apart those who have put in the effort.

• Cheers 1