The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is the greatest GENERAL MANAGER in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who is the greatest GENERAL MANAGER in Vancouver Canucks history?  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oooh this one might be good.  We might get some good debate happening here.  Who you got?  Who is the greatest one of them all?

Remember you can only pick one.  Have fun and enjoy...  :)

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

• Elias Pettersson changed the title to [DEBATE] Who is the greatest GENERAL MANAGER in Vancouver Canucks history?
1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oooh this one might be good.  We might get some good debate happening here.  Who you got?  Who is the greatest one of them all?

Remember you can only pick one.  Have fun and enjoy...  :)

My vote is for Burke as he was the man largely responsible for assembling the 2011 core (Schneider, Edler, Hansen, Kesler, Bieksa, and of course, Hank and Dan through our greatest trade in franchise history). Although Burke left before Burrows became a Canuck, I believe it was Burke’s scouting department that was responsible for Burrows ultimately coming here.  

Burke also helped the Canucks during the late 90’s turn the ship as he brought back some much needed organizational stability.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Burke also helped the Canucks during the late 90’s turn the ship as he brought back some much needed organizational stability.

Yeah and w/o Burke the team probably would be relocated 

Mike Gillis was basically 1 win from being the greatest GM in Canucks history ... now he will be forever known as the guy who created a goaltending controversy and poor drafting :lol:

Most liked would have to be Quinn. Best GM would have to be Burke, he drafted and traded for the core that went on the 2011 run. Sedin's, Kesler, Bieksa, + traded for Jovo, Salo, + signed Burrows and probably had a lot to do with the 2004 draft before being relieved of his position in May 2004

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

My vote is for Burke as he was the man largely responsible for assembling the 2011 core (Schneider, Edler, Hansen, Kesler, Bieksa, and of course, Hank and Dan through our greatest trade in franchise history). Although Burke left before Burrows became a Canuck, I believe it was Burke’s scouting department that was responsible for Burrows ultimately coming here.  

Without Keenan,  and Quin,  none of what Burke did would be possible.   That said he made it work.   Wasn't a bad drafter, but not great either.   Right now id have him second/third best - largely because we don't know how things will work out with JB guys yet - he also had a 4th (Allen), a second and third overall to work with.     Had some duds.   Milford still is and is likely to remain the best drafter we've ever had - too bad he traded some of those guys.    Also pretty sure Edler and Hansen were drafted by Nonis.  Same with Schneider.   Soooo...he drafted the Sedins and Kesler.   The rest came from Nonis including Luongo. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Burke was the right guy for the right era of hockey - that's my vote even though I don't agree with everything he did

People love Quinn but I disagree with the way he treated Bure's camp after bringing him over

Gillis did some really cool things - like hiring sleep doctors, acknowledging the travel issue. Tried to fix the underlying issues that he must have caught onto as a agent. He also took depth really seriously before the 2011 run, and of course led the team to one of two SCFs. The Luongo gimmicks will forever be a stain on his reputation though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Burke was the right guy for the right era of hockey - that's my vote even though I don't agree with everything he did

People love Quinn but I disagree with the way he treated Bure's camp after bringing him over

Gillis did some really cool things - like hiring sleep doctors, acknowledging the travel issue. Tried to fix the underlying issues that he must have caught onto as a agent. He also took depth really seriously before the 2011 run, and of course led the team to one of two SCFs. The Luongo gimmicks will forever be a stain on his reputation though.

Quin had to deal with escalating salaries and owners that didn't have the deepest pockets.    Different times then today.   Burke was fine.   Not great not bad just fine - biggest mistake was not bringing in a top ten goalie.   Also had a big gigantic present gift wrapped thanks to Linden and Keenan.  

Mike Gillis?  Well...both Burke and Quin had jobs after for a reason.  Gillis was super lucky to be gifted that team.  And of course made a complete mess of it. 

Edited by IBatch

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Without Keenan,  and Quin,  none of what Burke did would be possible.   That said he made it work.   Wasn't a bad drafter, but not great either.   Right now id have him second/third best - largely because we don't know how things will work out with JB guys yet - he also had a 4th (Allen), a second and third overall to work with.     Had some duds.   Milford still is and is likely to remain the best drafter we've ever had - too bad he traded some of those guys.    Also pretty sure Edler and Hansen were drafted by Nonis.  Same with Schneider.   Soooo...he drafted the Sedins and Kesler.   The rest came from Nonis including Luongo. 

Will comment more on this later, but I think Edler, Hansen, and Schneider was a result of Burke’s thoughts and scouts even if Nonis was the guy in the chair at the time.  I might be wrong on this though.  If Nonis and (his scouts?) were the guys responsible however, then my answer from above will need to change.

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

Most liked would have to be Quinn. Best GM would have to be Burke, he drafted and traded for the core that went on the 2011 run. Sedin's, Kesler, Bieksa, + traded for Jovo, Salo, + signed Burrows and probably had a lot to do with the 2004 draft before being relieved of his position in May 2004

I disagree.   I'm betting, most folks that have been around since the start or since Quin, are voting Quin.   Burke got his riches from Linden and Keenan.   I also liked him a lot.   He didn't mess around and was great behind a camera (Lowe would approve lol).    He's a great hockey mind that i appreciate to this day - been belly aching about second contract money becoming third contract money since his ANA days.     Had a lot of spine.   But he's not Mighty.   That is Quin.   He was also Quins right arm man in some ways during his era.   But he's still the second fiddle.    Quin was responsible, for finally making this franchise relevant.    His teams were big, tough, and skilled.    If Burke traded Cloutier maybe i'd give him my vote.   

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Basically whatever previous GM did had a hand (both good and bad) in the work of the next GM.  Even the Keenan years for the points you already stated.  

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Will comment more on this later, but I think Edler, Hansen, and Schneider was a result of Burke’s thoughts and scouts even if Nonis was the guy in the chair at the time.  I might be wrong on this though.  If Nonis and (his scouts?) were the guys responsible however, then my answer from above will need to change.

Well he didn't draft them.  Nonis did.   Like giving MG all the credit for JB first draft which is nonsense.  

• Cheers 3