The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

“New World Order”

CBH1926

24 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

haha my brother - never gonna happen - I have the utmost respects for others beliefs when it comes to religion (not just Christianity) even though I consider myself an Atheist. I have witnessed the comfort Religion has brought many in their time of need and although it's not my cup of tea does not give me the right to run down those who follow/practice it.

I don't believe in atheists.  If that offends you imagine how God feels.  :)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

yeah... people don't care what you choose to believe, just don't make your personal beliefs the cornerstone of my daughters healthcare rights. e.g. 

There is no conflict between religion and science. They seek very different answers. 

Separation of church and state is a very good thing.  Frankly it's none of my business what people believe in as long as they treat people with respect.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

You're smart man for believing in God and Christ..

I never understood why anti-religious people think it is their business to tell other people who or what they should worship.

They mostly want people to not worship anyone and just believe in man made science....  

Do you honestly expect people to believe in Neil Degresse Tyson or a book that has survived through tests of time. 

IF there is an afterlife I hope you find peace and prosperity there. 

That's freakin hilarious !

I have never known one agnostic who has or wants to tell anyone what to believe.

History however is littered with people who have murdered and tortured people trying to force their religious beliefs on them.

What I expect is that the facts that Neil teaches are facts and will stand the test of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I don't believe in atheists   

But I believe you 

What about agnostics ?

Do you believe in us ?

Actually I am in 2 minds about a goddess 

Slight language warning one dirty word 

28 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I don't believe in atheists.  If that offends you imagine how God feels.  :)

You don't believe in atheists ?

Are you denying their existence ?

How your God feels ?

People who share your beliefs tell others that your God feels that

LGBTI people shouldn't have the same rights as others.

That women shouldn't have control over their own bodies. 

That my friend is unacceptable.

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agnostic is the way to go.

How can anyone truly know?

If I did believe... I do have a question.

Since god isn't from our planet and isn't human, can I call it an Alien? 

Totally Brother 

It's a no brainer actually actually.

One cannot absolutely prove to me there is god.

Conversely one cannot absolutely prove to me there is not a god.

What I am reasonably certain of,if on the off chance there is a creator figure he is not the man made construct/control mechanism that certain members of our species use to control other members of our species with.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Totally Brother 

It's a no brainer actually actually.

One cannot absolutely prove to me there is god.

Conversely one cannot absolutely prove to me there is not a god.

What I am reasonably certain of,if on the off chance there is a creator figure he is not the man made construct/control mechanism that certain members of our species use to control other members of our species with.

Exactly, and what created this creator?

or what was before the big bang?

There had to be something, I struggle with the idea of beginnings and endings, as I also struggle with infinity...trying to figure out the answers to these questions are beyond our comprehension. So far. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There had to be something, I struggle with the idea of beginnings and endings, as I also struggle with infinity...trying to figure out the answers to these questions are beyond our comprehension. So far. 

if the parallel worlds theory is correct, you could be on an infinite number of CDC threads. What I want to know is, is there a universe where we've won the frickin' cup?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

We're in it Jim.

This is the year the Nucks win the cup!

I actually do find something comforting in the idea of multiple universes, not exactly sure why. Maybe we need a philosophy thread. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/12/2021 at 3:11 AM, Ilunga said:

Well if you were spending money on Amazon you contributed to Bezos's power.

I am of the opinion that the people we elect, cover up/try to keep hidden certain information, investitigive journalism/ journalists prove this quite often.

One example is the thread I started about operation Trojan horse. 

As for a cabal involving the people I mentioned as well as others running the world,well one just has to observe the world to see this is not really probable.

If you believe that others are not searching for answers then it is you who cannot ratiocinate. 

The Bible is a metaphor.

Do the the people who adhere to the teachings of the Bible believe in slavery  ?

Because the Bible condones it.

Ephesians 6:5-8 

"Slaves be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart,As to christ"

There are also justifications for slavery to be found in Colossians 3:22-24 

Timothy :1-2 

Titus 2:9-10 

And what makes Abraham more believable than Mohammed or Joseph Smith ?

Is it because he was the first one to claim he wandered out into the wilderness and a God spoke to him ?

The Harry Potter series of books has sold to over 500 million copies and there are groups of people all over the world who play quidditch.

Should I believe in that to.

And those people you say adhere to the teachings of the Bible,it also teaches tolerance and compassion something many of your co- religionists don't seem to show to others.

If you are interested actually interested in finding out the truth behind religious mythology Start with the allegory of Horus Isis,Osiris.

Contains virgin birth, resurrection a whole bunch of things that have been incorporated into other religions.

Mithra,Attis,Krisnhna,Jesus same stuff different buckets.

Wouldn't those terms slaves in those days simply mean employees in our time.? 

I wonder what percentage of people in the world believe in God ( of one name or another) 

I would think it would be upwards of 90 %.

It there isn't a God it would seem odd that so many people from so many walks of life would invent this imaginary friend. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't pretend to understand physics beyond a basic level however there are some physicists whose work I admire.

I simply admire the fact they are endeavouring to come up with answers to questions that ATM we do not have answers for.

https://www.space.com/amp/what-came-before-big-bang.html

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I wonder what percentage of people in the world believe in God ( of one name or another) 

It there isn't a God it would seem odd that so many people from so many walks of life would invent this imaginary friend. 

IMO its very experiential and very personal. People feel the existence of it. Faith is very much rooted in how someone feels since you by definition have to suspend concrete evidence at some point. People interpret this feeling based on their experiences, so we get a lot of different interpretations. 

Many moons ago when I was doing my BA, I remember taking an anthropology course on religion. One paper I read talked about ethnographers who documented Inuit ceremonies where people really thought they saw spirits and interacted with them. They really thought this was happening, and to them in some ways it really was. But what are you and I supposed to do with that experience? 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think it is more of it being passed on through history because religion was a way to explain the unexplainable. Which is why numbers of people who identify as religious are dropping, particularly in the western world. And it's not like religious groups have the same god. Some religions have several, some have one, but they aren't all the same. Having x% of people (90% seems too high imo) believe is some god(s) doesn't mean they are right. In fact, most people are wrong, in one way or another - which I think is where agnosticism comes in. There is no way to know, which you addressed a few pages ago quite eloquently by saying that is where faith enters the chat.

Personally, I think there is a lot of hypocrisy in a lot of the major religions. The Catholic Church covered up a pedophile ring. The bible says "x" so we must do "y" - while turning a blind eye to other biblical teachings. We've talked about this aspect of things previously so I'll leave that there. Radical muslims degrade women's rights and murder viciously. How many wars have been waged and how many people have died in the name of a God?

Edit: I actually want to give you props erkay for discussing this in a largely non-religious space. Good on you.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think it is more of it being passed on through history because religion was a way to explain the unexplainable. Which is why numbers of people who identify as religious are dropping, particularly in the western world. And it's not like religious groups have the same god. Some religions have several, some have one, but they aren't all the same. Having x% of people (90% seems too high imo) believe is some god(s) doesn't mean they are right. In fact, most people are wrong, in one way or another - which I think is where agnosticism comes in. There is no way to know, which you addressed a few pages ago quite eloquently by saying that is where faith enters the chat.

Personally, I think there is a lot of hypocrisy in a lot of the major religions. The Catholic Church covered up a pedophile ring. The bible says "x" so we must do "y" - while turning a blind eye to other biblical teachings. We've talked about this aspect of things previously so I'll leave that there. Radical muslims degrade women's rights and murder viciously. How many wars have been waged and how many people have died in the name of a God?

I've spent alot of my years going to church. I would not say I was raised in a Christian home but a religious one. Big difference. 

I go by the same book my parents did but have a very different faith and a very different take on things that they did .  I raised my kid in a completely different way than they raised us. 

Jesus said, " beware the traditions of men" and they did not adhere to that

What I have observed is that alot of Christians bend the word to there own will instead of the other way around.   

Take the wives submitting to your husband thing.....taken way out of context. 

And prosperity (TV preachers)   using that for there own gain instead of helping other. 

Spare the rod spoil the child means beat the $&!# out of your kid. My parents were harsh. You do something wrong you don't sit for a week. We were a screwed up family. I never spanked my kid. She's a happy successful adult. Figure it out@!!!

And when your doing things like that "in the name of God" as you say, then it isn't a wonder when people don't believe in him or hate religion. 

I hate religion but believe in and love God. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I don't pretend to understand physics beyond a basic level however there are some physicists whose work I admire.

I simply admire the fact they are endeavouring to come up with answers to questions that ATM we do not have answers for.

https://www.space.com/amp/what-came-before-big-bang.html

Good article.

Love the M/String theory ideas that I can understand.

I get stuck on the concept of time in all of it. Early universe? what is...early?  just a measurement that we can record?...what is scale too? a small singularity...

What was before.....it's the type of thought that can drive you nuts...can something come out of nothing? ..what is nothing...ugh

This is the weed thread, right?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

No slaves were slaves mate.

They were not paid wages or allowed to return to their families at night. 

It seems in my own country between 55-70 percent of people believe in the possible existence of a god.

Yes it does seem odd to someone who thinks in a rational,logical,reasonable manner that so many people believe in something whose existence cannot be proved.

Edited by Ilunga

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

IMO its very experiential and very personal. People feel the existence of it. Faith is very much rooted in how someone feels since you by definition have to suspend concrete evidence at some point. People interpret this feeling based on their experiences, so we get a lot of different interpretations. 

Many moons ago when I was doing my BA, I remember taking an anthropology course on religion. One paper I read talked about ethnographers who documented Inuit ceremonies where people really thought they saw spirits and interacted with them. They really thought this was happening, and to them in some ways it really was. But what are you and I supposed to do with that experience? 

I would ask this enthographer what the purpose of the ceremonies was in the first place. That's what lead to them seeing the spirits in the first place.  To the best of my knowledge those people had no bibles or formal "christian teaching".  Who am I to say that these ceremonies weren't there way of seeking God. 

The bible says we all have a built in knowledge of him .  It's why I struggle with atheism.  When you see people like these you mentioned doing ceremonies and having a spiritual experience seems to enforce that. 

Also, if more than one of them saw the same thing then that would seem to indicate they actually saw something?

Edited by erkayloomeh

56 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Edit: I actually want to give you props erkay for discussing this in a largely non-religious space. Good on you.

The Abrahamic God is the one most followers of religious beliefs,believe in.

You say potato,I say potato 

I say tomato,you say tomato 

Let's call the whole thing off.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1