The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is the greatest COACH in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who is the greatest COACH in Vancouver Canucks history?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as much as I love quinn, it's vigneault. best record, best individual seasons, made more out of less ('06-'07, alex burrows), had the same peaks, and helped the sedins reach their potential. additionally, while quinn had 2 jack adams (with 1 additional runner-up in toronto), av has the one jack adams plus FOUR runner-ups, all with different teams. he's literally been runner-up for coach of the year with every team he's coached. he's also top 10 all time for coaching victories, and the guy should still have a lot of good years in him. 

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

One thing about AV is the accent of the twins during his term.  How much of his success is based on them, or how much of their rise is based on how he deployed them, got them the match-up and helped them become really dominate players?

This is not trying to take away the recognition of either the twins or AV.  Easier to be a great coach when you have great players.  Easier to be a great player when your coach sets you up to succeed.  

And guys like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, or even Hansen were "elite prospects"?  These guys developed under AV not just when he was coach of the Canucks but when he was coaching the Manitoba Moose.  Damn even a creampuff like Wellwood turned into...

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

If Crawford wasn't saddled with Cloutier he'd have way more votes. I went with Quinn though. AV was out coached in too many series for me to pick him. 

Problem is, Crawford WANTED Cloutier as his starter.  Not 100% proof, but look at how when Crawford became head coach of the Kings, they traded for Cloutier immediately.

1 hour ago, dm_ranger said:

One thing about AV is the accent of the twins during his term.  How much of his success is based on them, or how much of their rise is based on how he deployed them, got them the match-up and helped them become really dominate players?

This is not trying to take away the recognition of either the twins or AV.  Easier to be a great coach when you have great players.  Easier to be a great player when your coach sets you up to succeed.  

you think PQ didn't have stars?

36 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

If Crawford wasn't saddled with Cloutier he'd have way more votes. I went with Quinn though. AV was out coached in too many series for me to pick him. 

I love Crow, but he completely ignored the defensive side of the game.  He was his own downfall, not Cloutier

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love Crow, but he completely ignored the defensive side of the game.  He was his own downfall, not Cloutier

We had the team to do that minus the goalie ;)

Crawford was schooled by Bowman in that Detroit series though. I went to all 3 home games. Damn that Wings team was good. 

Although PQ is my nostalgic choice, there is no doubt AV was the best.
I know he had a lot of talent to work with, but we have all seen teams loaded with talent that go nowhere.

Pat had a load of talent too work with too, but AV holds all the Canucks coaching records. 
Tough call to make, I love em both.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Bure, Linden, McLean, Courtnal, Ronning, Adams, Brown, Etc. Yes PQ had a pretty stacked team in retrospect.

The thing with Quinn's teams was that they didn't get pushed around/bullied.  Look at even when Quinn was coach of the Laffs.  *They* were the team that intimidated the Sens.  That 94 team didn't just have skill but they had alot of tough guys as well.  Granted, now I'm getting into more of Quinn's work as a GM (him getting those players).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

you think PQ didn't have stars?

honestly, PQ was before I started following the Canucks.  I started following them around 2001, so my personal votes are usually slanted into the recent.  

That said, I wasn't trying to compare the quality of rosters, but of wondering the relationship between star coaches and star players with AV as a great example within the context of this poll. 

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Quinn.  He not only taught the players how to play, he taught them how to be men.

He's the only coach, other then Neilson, who id give number two too, who's players respected and were in so much awe of, that they'd be willing to go through walls for.   Crawford and AV were both good too.   But Quin was on another level or complete plane then both those guys.   His PHI team record will never be beaten either and they also almost won a cup.   When he walked into a room he commanded authority like no other coach before or since.   A legend.   All-time coaching legend.   Nielson was too.   AV was fortunate with the teams he had and was fine.   Wish Quin was coaching that team though...

Quinn and Alain V are  a coin toss, I went with Quinn because for some time he was the coach, and GM and Club President.

Then Roger Neilson and Crawford are the next tier, also a pick em.

I couldn't help but notice the absence of Bill LaForge  on this poll.

Hey just because he lasted only 20 games while ruining our 40 goal man Darcy Rota, doesn't mean he should be excluded. :unsure:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Just by the numbers

PQ - 280 games coaches. 141 wins. 111 loses. 28 ties. 50.4% win. 2 division titles. SCF game 7

AV - 540 games coaches. 313 wins. 170 loses. 57 OTL. 58% win. 6 division titles. 2 presidents trophies. SCF game 7

One Jack Adams each with the Canucks. Quinn won his first 12 years earlier with the Flyers

Thanks for sharing. I never realized how short a time Quinn was our coach for. I'm actually switching my vote to AV as a result.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone remember in 94, we were playing the Rangers and all hell broke lose? Players were trying to spear each other (ok mostly Gino) over the glass...the hate was palpable and both Quin and Keenan were yelling hard at each other...the announcers said two things i won't ever forget - the game itself was also awesome - one "Keenan better be careful or Pat is likely to throw him into the rafters" and two "wouldn't it be great if this two teams played each other in the playoffs".... pretty sure it was late in the season too but can't remember.    It was premonitory sort of stuff.   Quin for me at least.   My favourite coach.   The players loved him and were willing to do more then normal to make it work.   AV... well defend the zero zero tie and all that.   He was great too.   So was Nielson.   Crow had an exciting style too. 

One thing about Vigneault which made me realize that he was a “very good” coach but not a great one:

Game 3 against Boston in 2011.  The Bruins had just made it 5-0 and yet Vigneault kept Luongo in the game.  Why not put in Schneider at that point?  Or why not start Schneider in the 3rd?  Instead, the Bruins scored three more times in the final few minutes and basically got in Luongo’s head for the rest of the series (sans Game 5).

• Vintage 1