The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Toronto - Vancouver

To Toronto: Zack MacEwen (40 percent retained), 2nd round pick 2023, 7th round pick 2023

To Vancouver: Ilya Mikheyev, 4th round pick 2023

Why?

- Toronto has no cap space and has only 6 defensemen signed, they'll likely want to clear cap space to make that last depth signing. This is one way of doing it will while retaining some forward depth

- Mikheyev, per Friedmann, quietly asked for a trade at the end of the season. Other Toronto bloggers are encouraging management to pursue that, although the Toronto Star journalist has said to let him stew

- Mikheyev is fast - would be the fastest player on Vancouver

- Mikheyev is big (6'3, 200 pounds)

- Mikheyev showed big offensive potential in the KHL and his rookie NHL season (23 points in 39 games), but was left out of the top-6 last year with Toronto having a pretty deep top-6. Has also been utilized on the PK and is seen as a player who plays 'both ends of the ice'

- With Canucks looking to line-up two smaller wingers on the 2nd line (Garland, Hoggie), Mikheyev offers another option - and can play either side

- MacEwen has been beat out on paper by Highmore and Di Giuseppe, although training camp could change that - but not a huge loss for Vancouver

- Mikheyev was seen as signing a team-friendly contract at the time of his signing - and is fairly cheap for what he brings. Canucks would take on 1.2M in this trade - sending one player down on waivers would essentially make the difference

- The Russian factor: “I think it would help…having another Russian player on the team,” Benning told Sportsnet’s Iain McIntyre. “So, we’re looking at that and seeing if there’s a fit that works either through trades or free agency. We may look to do something like that.” I don't know if Benning is still pursuing this option, but this is one way of completing that task

- The 2nd round pick allows Toronto to get some value back

Miller - Petey - BB

Mikheyev - Horvat - Garland

Hoggie - Dickie - Podkolzin

Pearson - Sutter - Motte

Highmore

One of Gadjovich, Petan, Dowling, Lockwood, Focht, Stevens if Motte starting the year injured

solid!!

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

To Toronto: Zack MacEwen (40 percent retained), 2nd round pick 2023, 7th round pick 2023

To Vancouver: Ilya Mikheyev, 4th round pick 2023

interesting idea, but I don't think we need to add our 2nd in or TO their 4th. 

If we can fit this in under LTIR it might be worth a look once the big RFA deals are done. 

• Vintage 1

To Toronto:  Olli Juolevi 

To Vancouver: Mikheyev 

I would be very intrigued with adding Mikheyev, although he wouldn't crack our top 6 either right now.  That would be another $800,000 down for the big two holdouts for us.  Kinda getting sick and tired of the long drawn out process and JP Barry and Pat Brisson dragging this out. 

Don't really see this happening, Toronto seems to want to hold onto him (at least they'll say that) and as a supposed contender they'll want a replacement who can provide what he does, instead of a future, plus a depth guy.  Vancouver might go for it, though we're really stacked on the wings and adding a 2nd on top of Big Mac for someone who might not figure prominently in our top 9 (due to Miller - Hoglander - Pearson as the incumbents) seems a bit much.

What happened to Pearson?  Did we trade him to Toronto as well?

Also, Mikheyev is a UFA next summer so if he wants to come to Vancouver we can just sign him for free.  We would need to get rid of Pearson's contract to do that to fit him under the cap.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What happened to Pearson?  Did we trade him to Toronto as well?

Also, Mikheyev is a UFA next summer so if he wants to come to Vancouver we can just sign him for free.  We would need to get rid of Pearson's contract to do that to fit him under the cap.

In that case he'd have also have to choose Vancouver; and I don't think forgoing a year of depth is the same thing, it would definitely be a different strategy. I wanna see the Canucks' go as deep as possible this year after last year's catastrophe - and I believe they can.

and you're totally right - forgot about Tanner Pearson. But a Pearson - Sutter - Motte 4th line is pretty impressive.

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would be very intrigued with adding Mikheyev, although he wouldn't crack our top 6 either right now.  That would be another $800,000 down for the big two holdouts for us.  Kinda getting sick and tired of the long drawn out process and JP Barry and Pat Brisson dragging this out. 

That trade also intrigues me - allows Toronto some defensive depth and fills out the Canucks' forwards. Since Olli's cap hit is so small, they could retain some on Mikheyev IMO.

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

interesting idea, but I don't think we need to add our 2nd in or TO their 4th. 

If we can fit this in under LTIR it might be worth a look once the big RFA deals are done. 

I think Mikheyev has a higher value that MacEwen - and could fit into a lot of team's cap structure. I think Vancouver would have to even the scales a little bit. A 2nd has decent value but a 4th softens the blow a bit. Fair enough tho

There will be lots of teams wanting to trade for this talented player.. 

Mikheyev 27, October, 6'3, 200 lbs

2019--20 GP 39----23 PTS

2020-21  GP 54 --- 17 PTS

Only maybe trade 3rd rounder  ---We have strong depth top 9...

If anything we could use a big Nick Ritchie 6'3, 225 lbs -- 16--20 goal guy, big and tough winger...

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think Mikheyev has a higher value that MacEwen - and could fit into a lot of team's cap structure. I think Vancouver would have to even the scales a little bit. A 2nd has decent value but a 4th softens the blow a bit. Fair enough tho

true, but he's asked to leave the precious Leafs, so fans there won't like that. I wouldn't add in the 2nd for the next draft. 

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

There will be lots of teams wanting to trade for this talented player.. 

Mikheyev 27, October, 6'3, 200 lbs

2019--20 GP 39----23 PTS

2020-21  GP 54 --- 17 PTS

Only maybe trade 3rd rounder  ---We have strong depth top 9...

If anything we could use a big Nick Ritchie 6'3, 225 lbs -- 16--20 goal guy, big and tough winger...

48 minutes ago, JM_ said:

true, but he's asked to leave the precious Leafs, so fans there won't like that. I wouldn't add in the 2nd for the next draft. 

Maybe MacEwen + a 3rd in 2023 or 2024 for Mikheyev would be more palatable.

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sorry, but I don't like the idea of throwing away Juolevi so fast. Yes, he had bad luck with injuries to begin with, but he has great potential even at a younger age. 

He's another player that falls into that ugly "in-between" space. As players come up through AAA ranks they learn to play their role (Top 6 or Bottom 6)...and then there's those in-betweeners. He is a top 6 player in the K, but a 3rd liner in the NHL. Problem is, he's pretty much always been a top 6 guy until he hit NA, and a lot of guys can't adapt, they still believe (and their agents push for it) that they are top 6 guys like they were in Russia, Sweden, Finland etc. I truly honestly think this kids best place is in the K...he kind of reminds me of another in-betweener we had, big defenceman, now plays in the K...

• Upvote 1