The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden Hockey Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Nucks89

52 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol his regular season is not HHOF worthy.. his post season other than 1 great run he had no playoff success.. doesn't matter if u put up points if u can't win.. he's not even close to being considered let alone a mention for the hhof

For a player like Linden a cup in 94 was his HHOF entry that series was legendary and his game 7 performance in a win would have vaulted him into a stanley cup legend giving him pretty much a HHOF bye

Part of me thinks the NHL will need to start changing its criteria for hockey hall of fame. Back 30 years ago, there were fewer teams and better odds that players would win a cup. Now there are 32 teams, and lots of superstar types won’t win a cup. Linden was an amazing playoff performer, and that should count for something.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Jersey retirement is based on contribution to the team. Linden was well deserving of the jersey retirement.

HOF is based on contribution to the game of hockey combined with individual accomplishments that separated the player from the his peers.

Linden is probably not HOF worthy.

Sedins are probably going to make it though. They made great contributions to the game. They took the cycle game to another level and invented many creative plays during their careers. They were cerebral players who played at an elite level despite not being gifted with physical attributes. They have enough individual accomplishments: MVPs, Art Rosses, President's trophy, a cup appearance, all while being identical twins, which is very unique. If the Sedins won a cup, they would be a shoe in; without a cup, I still think they make it in but we will see.

No Canadian team has won a cup since 1993. Since 1993, Canada has had no shortage of great players play in its cities and yet, none of those great players could win a cup for their team.

I feel like holding a player out of HOF because they didn't win a cup doesn't make much sense especially if that player played his entire career for a Canadian team.

Sedins should get in.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

To me guys like Keith Tkachuk, Roenick, and especially Turgeon need to be looked at before the Sedins.   Possibly Mogilny and Alfie too. 

These guys were never the best players in a given season.  The Sedins' had a run where they were the best players in the league for a few seasons.  That's the difference between these players.  Plus they changed how the game was played.  They changed the game with their cycle play, the slap pass and they were the first to do the ally-oop play. Not to mention the bank off the end board pass plays.

2 hours ago, bbllpp said:

For a player like Linden a cup in 94 was his HHOF entry that series was legendary and his game 7 performance in a win would have vaulted him into a stanley cup legend giving him pretty much a HHOF bye

1 cup run even if he win doesn't mean anything.. otherwise cam ward would be in the HHOF Tim Thomas would be in the HHOF 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Of course not.   But believe it or not, there was a time when he was considered one of the best young rising stars in league.   For sure he had a great career. 

oh yes great career no doubt it was amazing to watch him on the canucks. he was considered one of the best young rising stars hell he was one of the stars in this league period. just not the super star elite level. great player great teammate amazing leader.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

To me guys like Keith Tkachuk, Roenick, and especially Turgeon need to be looked at before the Sedins.   Possibly Mogilny and Alfie too. 

No individual awards for Keith Tkachuk though.  Both Sedins have won the Art Ross.  Hank has also the Hart & King Clancy.  While his brother has also won the Ted Lindsay (as well as the King Clancy once).  My bias aside, I think the Sedins have a leg up on..

:P

8 hours ago, Slegr said:

Part of me thinks the NHL will need to start changing its criteria for hockey hall of fame. Back 30 years ago, there were fewer teams and better odds that players would win a cup. Now there are 32 teams, and lots of superstar types won’t win a cup. Linden was an amazing playoff performer, and that should count for something.

I strongly agree with this actually. Winning the cup is an unreasonable expectation in this day and age and as more careers with a 30+ team league finish, we'll see more and more legends retire without a Cup.