The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden Hockey Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Nucks89

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hey nice to see you back - missed having you around.   Those are all good points - i agree the Sundin thing for sure had a big TO influence, sure he deserves to be there, but first ballot for the time and given who else was outside looking in, i agree if Turgeon keeps getting snubbed and if Sundin played on the same teams and all things being equal, maybe he'd also be outside looking in.   Virtually the same PPG, Turgeon a little higher - Sundin played 1/2 a season longer.    Both guys were considered very good, but never top of the class although Turgeon did have one more monster season then Sundin.   505 goals too...another guy who was almost in the Bure/Lindros catagory was Tim Kerr.   Almost certainly would have made the cut with 3 more boffo Kerr seasons.   Big scary dude too.   I always forget Nichols.   Guy was treated poorly by management, after his first WG wingman explosion, asked the GM if he should be worried if he bought a house - as in he won't be traded ... said you bet your safe go buy your house .... if not imagine he'd of had a ton more points at least and be a first ballot guy.   Also imagine WG would be well over 3000 points too lol.  

Good call on Alfie...but i do feel he was better for longer then the Sedins were.  Just didn't have the same explosive year they both did.    Always in the top ten during the 2000's just never (or rarely) a top player - like Sundin and Turgeon.    Hard to understand why everyone around him (Turgeon) got in - some without cups like Sundin.   Dale breaking his collar none was a moment i haven't forgotten.   What a mean bastard lol. 

Good to see you.

I wonder how much of Turgeon's rough times with the HOF committee has its origins in his chickening out of the brawl at the World Juniors.  That seemed to follow him around, I guess just like whatever people don't like about Barrasso and didn't like about Glenn Anderson.  I figure Turgeon eventually gets in just like Andreychuk did.  He just has too many points to sit on the outside forever.

Tim Kerr was guaranteed to get into the Hall of Fame without those injuries.  Kerr had the big seasons, Propp had the longevity and the playoff runs, and neither quite got over the hump.  Kerr is really a lot like Charlie Simmer when you look at the numbers.  Barry "not Cam Neely" Pederson was also en route to the Hall of Fame as well before his shoulder problems.  Who knows what that guy would have done, he was insanely good in Boston, more or less opened his career with three 100 point (ish) seasons.  In his second and third years he was 3rd and 4th for the post-season All-Star team.  At CENTER.  In the 80s.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Good to see you.

I wonder how much of Turgeon's rough times with the HOF committee has its origins in his chickening out of the brawl at the World Juniors.  That seemed to follow him around, I guess just like whatever people don't like about Barrasso and didn't like about Glenn Anderson.  I figure Turgeon eventually gets in just like Andreychuk did.  He just has too many points to sit on the outside forever.

Tim Kerr was guaranteed to get into the Hall of Fame without those injuries.  Kerr had the big seasons, Propp had the longevity and the playoff runs, and neither quite got over the hump.  Kerr is really a lot like Charlie Simmer when you look at the numbers.  Barry "not Cam Neely" Pederson was also en route to the Hall of Fame as well before his shoulder problems.  Who knows what that guy would have done, he was insanely good in Boston, more or less opened his career with three 100 point (ish) seasons.  In his second and third years he was 3rd and 4th for the post-season All-Star team.  At CENTER.  In the 80s.

These to me at least, are all reminders of just how hard it is to get into the HOF.    I think Vernon also deserves serious consideration - guy was only 5'7" and a remarkable goalie both in CAL, and in DET...Tanti, Linden et al had great shots which he stopped to keep his team from losing the first round and it took OTTO kicking it in for them to get past us.   Sure AL MAC won the Smythe, but he would never had the chance without Vernon.   Also did it in Detroit. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

These to me at least, are all reminders of just how hard it is to get into the HOF.    I think Vernon also deserves serious consideration - guy was only 5'7" and a remarkable goalie both in CAL, and in DET...Tanti, Linden et al had great shots which he stopped to keep his team from losing the first round and it took OTTO kicking it in for them to get past us.   Sure AL MAC won the Smythe, but he would never had the chance without Vernon.   Also did it in Detroit. 

I'd have had both Vernon and Barrasso in a long time ago.  I don't think there's even much of a case to make against them.

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'd have had both Vernon and Barrasso in a long time ago.  I don't think there's even much of a case to make against them.

Yes me too.    Barrasso - what he did i doubt will ever happen again, coming out of high-school hockey and shocking the hockey world with a Vezina worthy  season.    It's not like he didn't have some heavy competition either.    Won a couple cups...and if you take the loser points away from the goalies today (Lundqvist and Luongo et al) both him and Vernon aren't far behind as far as actual wins go.   Sure he was prickly...so was Belfour.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Good to see you.

Wasn't there off ice rumors surrounding Anderson?  I obviously didn't follow the Oilers then so perhaps my memory is off.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, IBatch said:

Henrik has a case to go into the Hall ahead of Daniel .... wouldn't that be something we could all b!tch about lol...

I think the Sedins won't be first team ballot guys and will have to wait.   I could be wrong.   To me the only guys playing right now or retired recently, are Thornton, Crosby and Ovi - that's it.  Even Luongo should wait a couple years. 

Should might be another question but I think Chara, Kane, Toews, Malkin, Hedman, Stamkos and maybe Doughty and Bergeron will be first ballot as well.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Should might be another question but I think Chara, Kane, Toews, Malkin, Hedman, Stamkos and maybe Doughty and Bergeron will be first ballot as well.

Good points.   Your right they should be and likely will be.   Best of this era.   If EK didn't get foot chomped, he'd also be a lock.    Only Potvin, Orr and Coffey managed to be top ten in scoring three times as a defenseman or more.  Too bad.   Still things could change for him, it's still possible for him to crack 1000 points as a D given his age.   SJ doesn't help his situation much though does it.   

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good points.   Your right they should be and likely will be.   Best of this era.   If EK didn't get foot chomped, he'd also be a lock.    Only Potvin, Orr and Coffey managed to be top ten in scoring three times as a defenseman or more.  Too bad.   Still things could change for him, it's still possible for him to crack 1000 points as a D given his age.   SJ doesn't help his situation much though does it.   

I suppose McDavid goes without saying as well.

I think Erik Karlsson gets in even if he retires tomorrow.  Probably not first ballot but eventually under the Lindros / Neely / Bure formula.  Even though Neely didn't really have to wait.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Same with "Wendy" Clarke...one of my favourite non-Canucks ... guess he's a sadist too for fighting guys like Probert and McSorely lol. 

Yeah those were the two that people talked crap about.  Maybe it was just the Blue Oyster Bar mustaches, who knows.

2004a219ce7c752f40f007f5f7ab5a0e.jpg

That actually does kind of look like Glenn Anderson in the studded leather mask...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2021 at 1:03 PM, Patel Bure said:

“Possibly cost us the cup by not having another healthy body in the line-up?”

Are you sure about that?  Linden had two goals in Game 7.  

and NO CUP. 

A healthy player replacing the injured Linden would have caused a completely different game to be played, including all the scoring, and possibly a different outcome: but you go on keep clinging to the guy who lost.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1