The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

“Miracle in Manchester: The Wade MacLeod Story”

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Came across this story today, and thought it was worth sharing:

https://kencampbell.substack.com/p/miracle-in-manchester-the-wade-macleod

Wade MacLeod is a local professional hockey player (born in Coquitlam, now lives in Port Moody) who’s returning to the game after losing the last three years, and also several interruptions during his seven pro seasons, due to uncontrollable seizures related to a series of 4 brain tumours, the most recent one being cancerous and highly aggressive. 

The man is 34 years old, has had several brain surgeries, been unable to play hockey for the past three years, had lost and since recovered his speech, and is now finally cancer free, physically and mentally recovered, and about to return to the game, having secured a contract for 2021-22 with the Manchester Storm of the EIHL.

I’ll just let people click the link and read the article, rather than try to summarize it all here, but it’s an inspiring story of perseverance and overcoming tremendous odds.

MacLeod went from sleeping 16 hours a day in a hospital bed, and unable to speak, and given only 3-5 years to live, to training and building back his mind and body to the point where he’s going to be playing professional hockey, and believes he can be one of the EIHL’s top scorers in his first season back on the ice.

Here’s rooting for Wade.

I hope he plays another ten years (like he  says he plans to), and more so, I hope he lives a long, happy, productive life for himself and his young family.

Such a heart warming story Sid. Thank you for sharing

• Like 1

"But this one was different. The three previous tumors caused uncontrollable seizures, but were all benign. This one wasn’t. It was full of cancer, aggressive and lethal. “That pesky tumor regrew,” MacLeod said, “and it regrew aggressively.” That was his fourth brain surgery, after each of which he had to relearn to walk and talk, and he calls it a “pesky” tumor. Man, hockey players. "

4 times of learning to walk and talk- not including the first time we all have to learn those things.

What an incredible human being.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Such a heart warming story Sid. Thank you for sharing

Glad you enjoyed reading it. 

I was just poking around Northeasten news this morning (he played his college hockey there) and came across the story and figured it was worth a share.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

"But this one was different. The three previous tumors caused uncontrollable seizures, but were all benign. This one wasn’t. It was full of cancer, aggressive and lethal. “That pesky tumor regrew,” MacLeod said, “and it regrew aggressively.” That was his fourth brain surgery, after each of which he had to relearn to walk and talk, and he calls it a “pesky” tumor. Man, hockey players. "

4 times of learning to walk and talk- not including the first time we all have to learn those things.

What an incredible human being.

Pretty inspiring stuff.

I’m definitely going to track his progress this season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

There’s also some more information about the MacLeods’ story here, with updates from Wade and his wife Karly, as well as an opportunity to donate to the family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/wade039s-treatment-fund

And they’ve done some podcasts as well, sharing more of the details of their journey:

https://alivingbreakthrough.podbean.com

https://beyondthebigredtruck.com/episodes/

• Thanks 1

Wade embodies the Plutarch quote 

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.

Wade is an example of the sort of person I really admire.

One who never gives up and has total belief in themselves.

Watch him light it up.

• Like 1