The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spencer Martin | #30 | G

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

How are "we" missing out?  You really want to pin the near term future on a goalie who had a spectacular 3 game run in the NHL when you have arguably one of the top five goalies in the NHL backstopping and stealing games for you? 

Marky may be the best goalie in the NHL this season, but that wouldn't have served the Canucks needs/timelines.  And you may be the only alien here that is lamenting Demko as an asset for the Canucks. By the time Canucks graduate from pretender to contender status, Marky will be all but coming to the end of his run as a top five NHL goalie, whereas Demko may very well be the leading Vezina and Conn Smythe candidate.

I'm sure Spencer Martin will garner a lot of interest in the UFA market (probably in the realm of 2022 version of Chris Dreidger).  At the very least, JR/PA should be talking to Martin's agent about an extension (multi-year, one way deal with surety that the no. 2 position is his to lose).  You may also want to keep in mind that pro hockey is littered with goalies with spectacular one season performances in the AHL to never amount to much in the NHL (e.g., Garrett Sparks, Dany Sabourin are two that come to mind...and it took Marky 4 seasons to become a legit NHL goalie after his unforgettable season in Utica).

Obviously you and I differ on Demko's status as an untouchable.

Demko isn't a Vezina candidate.  He can be, when he's bubble boy.  Martin is the same age, and proving to be just as good.  The time is now.  Strike while the iron is hot.  Let's not lose Martin for nothing, when we could keep him and get HUGE return for Demko.  There would be a bidding war.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Demko isn't a Vezina candidate.  He can be, when he's bubble boy.  Martin is the same age, and proving to be just as good.  The time is now.  Strike while the iron is hot.  Let's not lose Martin for nothing, when we could keep him and get HUGE return for Demko.  There would be a bidding war.

did you have to take your space ship to get this far-off base.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The whole Canuck nation has been pulling for Mikey DiPietro to emerge as the next backup for us. 

I've seen so much criticism this year for letting Martin Spencer get starts. 

Spencer Martin's record: 11-2-2 , 2.46 GAA , 0.917 SV%  

DiPietro: 8-10-2 , 2.95 GAA, 0.898 SV%  

15 hours ago, Quantum said:

I won't be shocked if Martin gets an extension. Sign him for 2 years at 800k and make him the backup next season.

Ride this boy to the Calder championship! Then sign him for a backup to Demko next year. Rathbone and Juulson anchor the backend for the run. What’s happening in Abby is as exciting as the big team. A long Calder run will be huge for Martin, Juulson and Rathbone who all will be with the big club next year. Maybe even Lockwood. Go. boys!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I would be shocked if Martin wasn't offered an extension. If I'm JR/PA, I would do 2 years at $1.25M AAV, one way contract, and give Martin the surety that the back up job is his to lose. 

Means Canucks will have $8.4M tied up in goaltending factoring in Holtby buy out and Halak's bonus, which is still too much to be tied up in goaltending, but since Demko is grossly underpaid, I suppose it's good allocation of cap for the goalie position.  Thank goodness Luongo's cap recapture penalty is done after this season.

Yeah we get rid of almost all bonuses and buyout money so it won't be that bad. 

Is love to get Spencer back on a two-three year deal. 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Spencer Martin made 35 saves in his 13th win of the season.

Spencer: For Hire.

A tv reference for all the old timers like me out there...never mind the spelling difference from the show from the 80s vs. Spencer Martin.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Spencer Martin, who made his fifth start in seven games, made 21 saves last night. It marked his 14th victory of the season.

Can't believe they won that tilt. Saw someone here post yesterday it was 4-1 for the Moose. Just checked the summaries, to see they tied with 3 straight goals in the 3rd p.

That's quite a win.