The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spencer Martin | #30 | G

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/10/2022 at 7:59 AM, bigbadcanucks said:

I would be shocked if Martin wasn't offered an extension. If I'm JR/PA, I would do 2 years at $1.25M AAV, one way contract, and give Martin the surety that the back up job is his to lose. 

Means Canucks will have $8.4M tied up in goaltending factoring in Holtby buy out and Halak's bonus, which is still too much to be tied up in goaltending, but since Demko is grossly underpaid, I suppose it's good allocation of cap for the goalie position.  Thank goodness Luongo's cap recapture penalty is done after this season.

Spencer Martin is a UFA in the summer. The way he is playing now he could be a starter for several NHL clubs including Edmonton and Toronto. 

Mu guess is he will test the UFA market rather than sign as a backup in Vancouver. 

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Spencer Martin is a UFA in the summer. The way he is playing now he could be a starter for several NHL clubs including Edmonton and Toronto. 

Mu guess is he will test the UFA market rather than sign as a backup in Vancouver. 

Being signed as a starter might be a stretch that most teams won't risk. Being signed as a backup is a reality. I am hoping Vancouver is that team. If he signs and has a solid season Vancouver could move him. Martin should sign a 2 year deal with Van and establish himself in the NHL then look for his big opportunity.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Being signed as a starter might be a stretch that most teams won't risk. Being signed as a backup is a reality. I am hoping Vancouver is that team. If he signs and has a solid season Vancouver could move him. Martin should sign a 2 year deal with Van and establish himself in the NHL then look for his big opportunity.

What if Martin proves he's a starter as Demko's back-up next year?  Then what options does that create?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Backing up one of the best goalies in the league may not be the route that he wants to take. He may not get as many games backing up Demko versus backing up someone else of lesser quality. 

Neither Edmonton nor Toronto have a legit starter for next year and neither have cap space. I could see both teams taking a shot at Martin, especially if he leads Abby to the Calder Cup. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Backing up one of the best goalies in the league may not be the route that he wants to take. He may not get as many games backing up Demko versus backing up someone else of lesser quality. 

Neither Edmonton nor Toronto have a legit starter for next year and neither have cap space. I could see both teams taking a shot at Martin, especially if he leads Abby to the Calder Cup. 

What could Demko return in trade?  A lot, right?  Maybe Martin and a smart UFA signing could be our goalies next season?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What could Demko return in trade?  A lot, right?  Maybe Martin and a smart UFA signing could be our goalies next season?  

I would only trade Demko for one player. Draisaitl. That’s about it. Then we could trade Miller to fill our other needs. Other than that I would keep him, as a goalie can win you a Cup all by himself. A goalie is the most important player in the Stanley Cup final. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would only trade Demko for one player. Draisaitl. That’s about it. Then we could trade Miller to fill our other needs. Other than that I would keep him, as a goalie can win you a Cup all by himself. A goalie is the most important player in the Stanley Cup final. 

Oilers lose again in round one because of crappy goaltending and we might get dr. Drai for Demmer.  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oilers lose again in round one because of crappy goaltending and we might get dr. Drai for Demmer.  

Maybe if Edmonton had drafted Wallstedt like they should have, we'd do Demko + Boeser for Drai + Wally.

I'm not really interested in entertaining trade scenarios for Thatcher Demko, but I do appreciate the sentiment that no stone should be left unturned here. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

In the Demko draft, 2014, Calgary took a goalie 2 places ahead of Vcr's Demko. His name is Mason McDonald, think about it. Mason plays for Tulsa Oilers in the ECHL. If if's were buts etc 

Interesting.  We took Virtanen over Tkachuk.  They took McDonald over Demko.  The draft really is a lottery...

• Cheers 1

Spencer Martin has been a pillar of Abbotsford’s success so far this season. His 16 wins is the ninth most by a netminder, and by far the most by a goalie who has played 21 games or fewer. Next on that list would be the 9 wins put up by Matt Jurusik of the Texas Stars, who has the 36th most wins in the AHL.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 7:04 AM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

It was Juolevi over Tkachuk.

And Burke rated both of those guys equal. You never know how someone's going to develop, or be derailed buy multiple season ending surgeries, like Juolevi was. It's time to move on from that controversy. Calgary would have been thrilled with Juolevi if Vancouver had taken Tkachuk.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Many goalies only hit their real peak in their late 20's, and considering we have the goalie whisperer, that may have a big part of his success this season.

He's making 800k in the NHL this year and 105k in the AHL.

I'd offer him a 2 year, one way deal at 750k - 800k whether he's playing in the NHL or AHL.

If he performs next year, then he's a perfect backup for Demko at a really good rate. If he struggles a little, he still gets paid at an NHL level in the AHL while he works the kinks out. On a 1 way deal, he might accept the 750k, guaranteed salary.

Given Demko's play, I would be totally down with the Canucks signing Martin to back him up next year.  Martin could try UFA but despite his strong play in the 3 games he started as well as his solid AHL play, I still can't see that moving the needle sufficiently for a team to not only sign him to a more lucrative NHL contract than what the Canucks could offer, but also entice him with the chance of being a starter. 

Martin is 27-years old this year.  While that's by not "old" by any means and while some goalies are late bloomers, this would be very late.  When I think of a late bloomer, I think of a guy like Dwayne Roloson but in his case, he had steady NHL time for many years before elevating to starter level.  Chris Driedger might be more of a comparable and while he had two solid years with FLA, he's been pretty underwhelming with SEA (who have him for 2 more years at $3.5M AAV).

I think the Canucks are Martin's best shot.  He gets at least another year to work with Ian Clark if he re-signs for one year, and if he can solidify his hold on the backup role, then that gives him big league money for one year and more importantly, it positions him better to look at the rest of the league the next year.  It also gives the Canucks another year to evaluate Silovs and DiPietro.