The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Burroughs | #44 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

• -AJ- changed the title to Kyle Burroughs | #44 | D

I like a few things about Burroughs so far.  First, he plays a decently physical game.  Secondly, he plays within his limitations and doesn't make a lot of mistakes trying to do too much.  He's been responsible defensively.  We'll have to see if he can manage more minutes as time goes on.  He might be one of those d-men who doesn't really reach his potential until 27 or so, which would be good for us.  I don't think that his potential is elite, but here's hoping he can be solid defensively and a physical presence.  If Burroughs is small, does that mean Bo is fat at 220?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I like a few things about Burroughs so far.  First, he plays a decently physical game.  Secondly, he plays within his limitations and doesn't make a lot of mistakes trying to do too much.  He's been responsible defensively.  We'll have to see if he can manage more minutes as time goes on.  He might be one of those d-men who doesn't really reach his potential until 27 or so, which would be good for us.  I don't think that his potential is elite, but here's hoping he can be solid defensively and a physical presence.  If Burroughs is small, does that mean Bo is fat at 220?

He is also fairly quick getting to the puck, much quicker than Juolevi. He had fewer brain dead moments than Luke Schenn. He handled pressure from opposing forechecks better than Brad Hunt. I am very impressed how confident he is with the puck. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

He is also fairly quick getting to the puck, much quicker than Juolevi. He had fewer brain dead moments than Luke Schenn. He handled pressure from opposing forechecks better than Brad Hunt. I am very impressed how confident he is with the puck. 

I liked what JB did signing both Burroughs and frankly Bowey. Bowey played mostly an error free game but limited. Burroughs seemed much the same exceept he pushed the play more IMO

Wish Travis Green and Nolan Baumgartner would do a better job at load management on the blueline and give Rathbone and Burroughs some more minutes.

I know he is trying to protect this pairing, but they have shown through 3 games they have been very reliable in getting the puck up quick and playing simple and safe hockey. Hughes' and OEL's pairing cannot be logging 25+ minutes a night without potential injuries occurring. 

I've really liked Burroughs just keeping his game simple and steady. Thats all we need from a third pairing guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wish Travis Green and Nolan Baumgartner would do a better job at load management on the blueline and give Rathbone and Burroughs some more minutes.

I know he is trying to protect this pairing, but they have shown through 3 games they have been very reliable in getting the puck up quick and playing simple and safe hockey. Hughes' and OEL's pairing cannot be logging 25+ minutes a night without potential injuries occurring. 

I've really liked Burroughs just keeping his game simple and steady. Thats all we need from a third pairing guy. 

Is there any chance that Nolan Baumgartner / Shaw actually do the best job possible when it comes to load management? I mean it could entirely possible that Baumgartner/Shaw give Burroughs exactly the ice time he is capable of. There is good chance that more ice time for Burroughs could overwhelm him.

I agree that the heavy workload for Hughes might result in injuries sooner or later. Edmonton Oilers played Darnell Nurse almost 30 minutes per night last season. In the second half of the season Darnell Nurse has been out with an injury for several weeks. That's a scenario I can envision also for Hughes. Playing that many minutes per game might make him more susceptible to injuries.

What's the root cause for the actual load management at D? Simply it is the absence of Hamonic. He was supposed to play in the top 4 averaging 20+ minutes per night. Now that he is absent Baumgartner / Shaw have to find ways to compensate for Hamonics absence.

I find it interesting that neither Jett Woo nor Luke Schenn play on the third pairing. I mean Schenn is a veteran and very experienced, physically strong displaying strong leadership.

In case Hamonic is not only weeks but months out I guess this load management is going to hurt this team.

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Is there any chance that Nolan Baumgartner / Shaw actually do the best job possible when it comes to load management? I mean it could entirely possible that Baumgartner/Shaw give Burroughs exactly the ice time he is capable of. There is good chance that more ice time for Burroughs could overwhelm him.

I agree that the heavy workload for Hughes might result in injuries sooner or later. Edmonton Oilers played Darnell Nurse almost 30 minutes per night last season. In the second half of the season Darnell Nurse has been out with an injury for several weeks. That's a scenario I can envision also for Hughes. Playing that many minutes per game might make him more susceptible to injuries.

What's the root cause for the actual load management at D? Simply it is the absence of Hamonic. He was supposed to play in the top 4 averaging 20+ minutes per night. Now that he is absent Baumgartner / Shaw have to find ways to compensate for Hamonics absence.

I find it interesting that neither Jett Woo nor Luke Schenn play on the third pairing. I mean Schenn is a veteran and very experienced, physically strong displaying strong leadership.

In case Hamonic is not only weeks but months out I guess this load management is going to hurt this team.

Hughes and OEL are both top D men (with pretty 'effortless' skating). Top D men regularly play 24+minutes, around the league (regular time).

It only really becomes an issue when you start approaching 30 regularly (not just occasional OT games).

Honestly, our ability to have one of those two guys out there for near 50 minutes of a 60 minute game is delightful.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I’m enjoying Burroughs progress with the Canucks,  more mins, bring more confidence, he’s not a afraid to get in the face of anyone.

We were all focussed on his partner Rathbone and yet Burroughs is stealing the show. He is pretty physical which is a good thing for his game.

• Cheers 1