The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nic Petan | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Nic Petan has played a fair amount of NHL games. Thoughts on where Nic Petan will fit in?  At 26 he could be a late bloomer 

He's no late bloomer he was sensational playing in the WJC 2015, but regretfully this was a player when size did cost him. 2nd round pick by the Jets 2013

Edited by Fred65

I'd have to agree that I think Petan is a good solid depth piece for the Canucks that can fill in when needed. 

But is probably not going to slot into the line up consistently. 

He hasn't even cracked 20 points in the NHL. 

But you never know. He's on the wrong side of 25 years old at this stage of his career, but maybe something clicks for him and he produces. who knows? 

If he surprises and puts in 20-25 points, that could be a major coup for the man. Give him some more confidence moving forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Petan has a pretty decent offensive skill set, but doesn't really stand out in terms of individual efforts in skating the puck or passing.  Decent shooting and reasonable hustle.  In his own end he's a bit behind the curve at times.  I'd classify him currently as a higher end tweener.  He is likely not going to be on the starting roster but he's the kind of guy who can slot in on the top six with any injuries.  I don't think he's necessarily what we'd want on the bottom six though.  I can see him getting in 20 games or so this year perhaps.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

If former Green-coached Winterhawk players like baerschi and leipzig couldn't fit in on the Canucks, what are Petan's chances?

I think Petan makes the club.  He’s proving to be useful in all situations.  He will need to continue playing hard on and off pucks though.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Petan makes the club.  He’s proving to be useful in all situations.  He will need to continue playing hard on and off pucks though.  

only question I guess is can he play the way he needs to and stay healthy?

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really don't know the history of his line mates on other teams but IMHO he needs to play with players that are skilled and think the game at the same speed. If they give him that chnace he could be a  keeper. Maybe a modern day Cliff  Ronning who also waited a long time to become a full time NHL player. He clearly has a lot of skill

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

He’s been good. Much better than I anticipated. I never doubted his talent, but wasn’t convinced he’d show well enough at camp to put himself in serious consideration for the opening roster. Credit to him for showing up motivated and never taking his foot off the gas. The Canucks run some of the most open camps of any NHL team, and NHL lineup spots can be won, if guys are hungry enough.

I’m always good with signing a guy like this who works hard and never gives up on playing in the NHL.

Good reminder to the vets of where they started off before the big contracts and the stardom.

That being said is he the type of player that can produce outside the top 6? Is he a good fit for the bottom 6? Can he be this years Leivo and move up and down the lineup on wing and center? Never bad to have a utility guy.

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That being said is he the type of player that can produce outside the top 6?

That is probably my burning criticism of his preseason play. Playing on the pp with Petey has looked serviceable but in other games playing with AHL talent he has looked horrendous and has been a give away machine. 

I doubt he gets a regular shift in the top 6 unless there are some deep injury troubles on the team so I'm not really sure where Green is wanting to go with this player.

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

That is probably my burning criticism of his preseason play. Playing on the pp with Petey has looked serviceable but in other games playing with AHL talent he has looked horrendous and has been a give away machine. 

I doubt he gets a regular shift in the top 6 unless there are some deep injury troubles on the team so I'm not really sure where Green is wanting to go with this player.

Maybe they just wanna boost his confidence by making him one of the last cuts.

Im sure we’ll need him at some point. Not sure he should be in the bottom 6 right now given the other options.

• Like 1

He did a great job in preseason and earned his spot on the team. Looked good on the powerplay and surprisingly well on penalty kill. He's also settled down in life and knows this may be his last shot. I could see him carving out a career like Paul Byron.