The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jaroslav Halak | #41 | G

-Vintage Canuck-

I keep hearing rumours of Halak being moved but he has no movement clause in contract? I guess he could wave deal in mid March if he feels team is out of playoffs? We need a solid #2 like Halak with all the games to be played in the next 2 months...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

So if Halak is unwilling to waive his NMC to get traded, why not just sit him and not let him play for the rest of the season? That 1.5M cap hit next year is gonna suck 

The contract was for 3M but Benning convinced him to have it spread over 2 seasons by making the conditions easily attainable - it was a cap trick so he could have more to spend this season.  How can they now go and tell him that his 3M contract negotiated in good faith will only bring him in half. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

The contract was for 3M but Benning convinced him to have it spread over 2 seasons by making the conditions easily attainable - it was a cap trick so he could have more to spend this season.  How can they now go and tell him that his 3M contract negotiated in good faith will only bring him in half. 

Easy. It's a business. The back handed deal he made was with a guy who is no longer with the org. His beef is with him.

With Martin playing extremely well, Demko almost back, and Halak only a couple of games from getting a huge bonus, you gotta think the team is considering any and all offers for Jaro. Even if the return is a bag of pucks, freeing up $1.5M off of next year's cap is a slam-dunk. Guess it just depends on if there's somewhere Halak wants to go, that needs him, and has enough cap space to absorb the bonus this year.

I wonder if the Devils might be a good fit. They've already lost Bernier for likely the season, and now Blackwood is back on I/R again with a reoccurring heel injury. Their goalies are Jon Gillies and Akira Schmid (who?). Playoffs are a pipe dream, but if the return isn't much, they might be willing to pay the cash bonus just so their team and fans can have an actual NHL goalie there. Halak will get to earn his bonus, play most of the games, and live in the New York area. Could be a win for all parties.

• Like 1

They should resign Martin for a couple of years. Two way deal and then he can win a spot at camp next year.  He is here on emergency call up so there is no waivers to be returned to Abby.

If they could move Halak then fine but he has a NMC , I think.

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

With Martin playing extremely well, Demko almost back, and Halak only a couple of games from getting a huge bonus, you gotta think the team is considering any and all offers for Jaro. Even if the return is a bag of pucks, freeing up $1.5M off of next year's cap is a slam-dunk. Guess it just depends on if there's somewhere Halak wants to go, that needs him, and has enough cap space to absorb the bonus this year.

I wonder if the Devils might be a good fit. They've already lost Bernier for likely the season, and now Blackwood is back on I/R again with a reoccurring heel injury. Their goalies are Jon Gillies and Akira Schmid (who?). Playoffs are a pipe dream, but if the return isn't much, they might be willing to pay the cash bonus just so their team and fans can have an actual NHL goalie there. Halak will get to earn his bonus, play most of the games, and live in the New York area. Could be a win for all parties.

I would gladly add something to Halak if we could get Bahl out of NJD!

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

What happens if we waive Halak.  Is that bonus still payable?

We can't waive him as he has a NMC.  But the bonus is only payable if he plays two more games.  The Canucks can very easily just sit him out for the rest of the year if he turns down deals.  

While that may seem like a unfair/petty move, Martin gives us a better chance to win, and saves us the bonus penalty next season.

Edited by BCNate
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

Not sure if Halak can even stop a beach ball nowadays. Guess he is happy though as he still gets to collect his bonus.

Such a piece of crap goalie.  Waste of cap on that craperolla.  Send his ass the the ECHL.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Not sure if Halak can even stop a beach ball nowadays. Guess he is happy though as he still gets to collect his bonus.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:32 PM, Mackcanuck said:

$1.25M bonus on next seasons cap night!

spacer.png

Guess the answer is No. Nice visual: Not sure why there is some much interest in trading Halak. Who would want him? The Canucks would to pay someone to take him. The only benefit would be to save a bit off the cap for next year to cover his bonus overage.