The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which AMERICAN player in their CANUCKS prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Which AMERICAN player in their CANUCKS prime are you taking?  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we're talking Canucks prime that narrows the field quite a bit. Ryan Miller's prime took place in Buffalo, and we've yet to see the best of Boeser, Demko, and Hughes

We're seeing JT Miller's prime, but I'd still take Kesler's best over JT's. 

I'm looking for another "break season" from these three. I feel like they will be in running for "best American Canuck" by the time they hit their prime. If Boeser can surpass his rookie season which he was on pace for 72 points and 38 goals, he easily takes the lead. Same could be said for Hughes. Looking forward to this season!

11 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I'm looking for another "break season" from these three. I feel like they will be in running for "best American Canuck" by the time they hit their prime. If Boeser can surpass his rookie season which he was on pace for 72 points and 38 goals, he easily takes the lead. Same could be said for Hughes. Looking forward to this season!

I expect one of Hughes or Boeser will surpass him, but it'll take some impressive seasons to do it. Brock's yet to break 30, let alone 40 so it'll take some doing. And his offense will have to be enough to beat out Kesler's all around play. 

I figure it'll be Quinn who surpasses him tbh, I think his production as a D will do the trick. Comparing forwards to D is tricky, but I really expect Quinn to rip it up. 

Demko could end up being the most valuable of the bunch, but he'd have to climb to really impressive heights to be considered over a forward or D imo. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Demko is predicted to be a top ten goalie by some.   But hasn't made any lists yet.   Schneider did.   I remember when Boucher set an all-time record of five shutouts in a row,  and PHI thought they'd finally got a goalie like Parent again (and they had Hextal too)...never happened.   I'm cautiously optimistic.  So far Schneider did more.   Also not too long ago - a no name goalie in OTT won his first 22ish games coming into the NHL and now is gone.   Demko at least comes with a small pedigree unlike that guy who i can't even remember lol..Kesler wins this by a mile right now.   

I think too many fans forget how good Schneider was in his prime, both here and in New Jersey. I considered him a top 5 goalie for two or three years, both in Vancouver and especially during a couple years in New Jersey.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I honestly have dibs on Demko.  I think he will establish himself as a top 3 goalie in the league this year (if he stays healthy).  Demko was lights out in the bubble and was starting to play at that level again before the Covid outbreak last season.

Yeah. Is already an incredible goalie. Could easily get to the point where he not only compensates for our D's inefficiencies, but actually makes them look good. Personally, I think the best bet may be JT. Starting with this season, if the Canucks put it together, he could have not only one, but two or three monster years, changing this conversation entirely. 

*Okay, well done, self. I have convinced me that I need to go and bump JT up two rounds in my fantasy projections. Good thinkings, you.*

• Haha 1

It might be recency bias but I think J.T. Miller would be Kesler's closest competition.  Admittedly Kes was impressive as a shutdown C but one could argue that for a center you'd want someone who utilizes and connects with his wingers better, and Miller would be that guy (plus J.T. can be a #1 LW or #1 C, as well as play-maker or take-charge scorer). 

From an individual player standpoint Kes is still ahead, but if we were picking a guy to build a team around I might actually lean towards J.T. for the reasons listed above (of course he's not perfect and he had some defensive lapses but no one's perfect, and for team construction I'd prefer what he brings).

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think too many fans forget how good Schneider was in his prime, both here and in New Jersey. I considered him a top 5 goalie for two or three years, both in Vancouver and especially during a couple years in New Jersey.

I haven’t forgotten about Schneider’s peak.  

I just remember him always getting mysteriously injured before or during the playoffs.  I honestly think he was very

mentally fragile.  I always saw him as a superior version of Dan Cloutier (ie very good regular season goalie that couldn’t perform when it mattered most.....or in Schneider’s case, found a way to get injured).

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

It might be recency bias but I think J.T. Miller would be Kesler's closest competition.  Admittedly Kes was impressive as a shutdown C but one could argue that for a center you'd want someone who utilizes and connects with his wingers better, and Miller would be that guy (plus J.T. can be a #1 LW or #1 C, as well as play-maker or take-charge scorer). 

From an individual player standpoint Kes is still ahead, but if we were picking a guy to build a team around I might actually lean towards J.T. for the reasons listed above (of course he's not perfect and he had some defensive lapses but no one's perfect, and for team construction I'd prefer what he brings).

You definitely make a solid argument.  Having said that, Kesler flat out carried the Canucks through large stretches during that 2011 run (ie Chicago and Nashville).  If Kesler hadn’t gotten injured during the San Jose series, our outcome against Boston might have been very different.

Given Brock and Demko haven't reached their prime, I can only speculate. Speculation leads me to believe both those guys will be better, for longer, than the rest of the guys on the list. Brock would beat out Kesler due to Kesler's "trending toward evil" disposition.

I left QH out, cause I haven't seen Eric Karlsson win anything yet - and he looks a bit like a grown up QH.

I have to go with Demko, viewing him through the lens of 'semi-finals v. Vegas' Demko - who looked like a top five in the league goalie.

Couple years ago at a coaching clinic Sutter, Bowman, and Crisp were asked what it takes to be a successful coach.

Darryl says "well, ya know.... went to san jose, got a pretty good goalie in Mikey Vernon, then on to calgary, pretty darn good with Kipper, then L.A., well we had Quick. If you wanta be a good coach in this league, get a good goalie!".

Goalies make or break season/playoff dreams - see Jack Campbell (cough).

Edited by Team Bagues

On 9/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, Wanless said:

I think Kesler at his prime is a more valuable player than any on the list 

However, he really only had 3 years of his full potential before his body started to break down. It's a shame that he couldn't build off of the 2009-2012 years and be that perennial Selkie winner like Bergeron or Toews

Kesler had two dominant seasons. I think that Demko, Brock, and QH will give us more than that.

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, Team Bagues said:

Kesler had two dominant seasons. I think that Demko, Brock, and QH will give us more than that.

Demko especially.    

2020 Bubble Demko was actually up there with McLean 94 and Luongo 07 in my books even if it was a small 3 game sample size.  Demko was out of this world, and it looked like he was getting back to that form again before the internal Covid outbreak this last season.  

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that Demko, Hellebuyck, and Vasilevsky will be the three best goalies in this coming season.