The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which CANADIAN player in their CANUCKS prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Which CANADIAN player in their CANUCKS prime are you taking?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I feel like this should be tougher than it is, but it's not. It's Luongo for me, easily.

At his peak he was the best goalie in the league, a gamebreaker. Give that 06/07 team more forward depth and we probably could have contended. From 06-07 to about 11-12 he gave up top flight goaltending and that's been pretty rare throughout the history of this franchise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Lu was a great regular season goalie.  But you gotta include playoff performance too, and dealing with that kind of pressure.  Sorry, not good enough to top my list.

Linden was an honest, hard working leader.  Who rose his game in the playoffs. He was never an elite player in the league as a whole, but took his role seriously, and did it well.  His '94 playoff performance was epic.

I wasn't around for Don Lever, but he may have been our best Canadian, looking at his consistent point production.

But what does it say about our Canadian contingent through the years?  Why have we never had a true Canadian born superstar?  Especially considering how many NHL stars are born in our Province? 

So....I went with Cliffy.    Just for the reason that of all the Canadian born players, he was the most fun to watch on the ice.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Lu was a great regular season goalie.  But you gotta include playoff performance too, and dealing with that kind of pressure.  Sorry, not good enough to top my list.

Linden was an honest, hard working leader.  Who rose his game in the playoffs. He was never an elite player in the league as a whole, but took his role seriously, and did it well.  His '94 playoff performance was epic.

I wasn't around for Don Lever, but he may have been our best Canadian, looking at his consistent point production.

But what does it say about our Canadian contingent through the years?  Why have we never had a true Canadian born superstar?  Especially considering how many NHL stars are born in our Province? 

So....I went with Cliffy.    Just for the reason that of all the Canadian born players, he was the most fun to watch on the ice.

I considered adding Jake Virtanen but decided not to at the last minute. -_-

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I disagree with your assessment of Luongo’s playoff performances. It’s all to easy to always dump on the goalie. Has he had some stinker playoff games? Of course, but that doesn’t take away from the great games where he stood on his head. Just say this to yourself and you will remember….”Great save Luongo!”. 

No Canadian Canuck in his prime had the same level of impact over the years. And I disagree with you about him not being a superstar. He was.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, kilgore said:

If Luongo gets into the Hall of Fame then he definitely would be considered a super star...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Luongo gets into the Hall of Fame then he definitely would be considered a super star...

I'm sure he would be. 

But the question was which Canadian in their Canuck prime.  For me, even if you zero in on the goalie department, I'd choose Kaptain Kirk, in his prime, for his ability to handle the pressure of the playoffs.  If we had had McLean prime in 2011, we may have had a different outcome.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1