The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Tyler Bozak

Wow... this FA market is nuts.... we've seen some players getting insane $ for scoring 30+ pts a season and this Bozak guy who's been consistently putting up well over 0.5 pt per game only gets league minimum?? 

I sure JB is taking note... getting ready to pick up good bargains to add to our forward depth! 

Looking at remaining UFA's.... not a whole lot of choices.... Eric Staal, Alex Chiasson, James Neal, Alex Galchenyuk, Bobby Ryan, Gusev... and most of these aren't even a good fit!

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Wow... this FA market is nuts.... we've seen some players getting insane $ for scoring 30+ pts a season and this Bozak guy who's been consistently putting up well over 0.5 pt per game only gets league minimum?? 

I sure JB is taking note... getting ready to pick up good bargains to add to our forward depth! 

Looking at remaining UFA's.... not a whole lot of choices.... Eric Staal, Alex Chiasson, James Neal, Alex Galchenyuk, Bobby Ryan, Gusev... and most of these aren't even a good fit!

I'd take Staal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

I would take a flyer on Staal or Chucky at league minimum.  That being said want to get some youth in the bottom 6, time to see if Gadjo can sink or swim.

18 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I would take a flyer on Staal or Chucky at league minimum.  That being said want to get some youth in the bottom 6, time to see if Gadjo can sink or swim.

Yes... my #1 choice would be Staal... he can help out on PP a bit...  Chucky... I'm not so sure.. he seems to be so inconsistent... just like Godolbin.. so much talent wasted...

I'm not so optimistic about Gadj... he still needs more time in AHL

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Me too... if he's happy to join a younger, rebuilding team that's not quite ready to contend yet!! Staal and Sutter should work well together!

I mean, Montreal was in that position and Staal did pretty well there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

He's a 35+ player that missed a large part of last season with a concussion I believe. He's got bonuses in his contract that could bump his dollar amount up. He was probably looking for guaranteed money elsewhere, but chose to bank on himself and give a friendlier deal to stay in St Louis.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's a 35+ player that missed a large part of last season with a concussion I believe. He's got bonuses in his contract that could bump his dollar amount up. He was probably looking for guaranteed money elsewhere, but chose to bank on himself and give a friendlier deal to stay in St Louis.

This makes the most sense.  I would imagine that older players with school age children would be more willing to take a friendly deal with the team based where they have settled down.  Bozak has been with the Blues for the last 3-years already so his family is probably pretty integrated into the community there.  At 35+, I doubt any other team would be offering Bozak more than a 1-year contract, so getting to stay "home" with his family makes a lot of sense.  Bozak also already won a cup with the Blues so perhaps the motivation to go elsewhere might also be a bit lower.  He's more of a depth piece to a contender at this point of his career than anything more critical to a roster.

Bozak has managed to build a solid career in the NHL ever since leaving college.  If I remember correctly, then the Canucks were pretty gungho about signing him out of college but eventually lost out to the Leafs.

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Didn't Leaf fans gush about him years ago? 

Back when he was their 2nd line center. I wasn't a fan of him then (I think he was rumoured in Luongo deals), but think his current role is a much better fit.