The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Jimmy Vesey, Mark Jankowski, Tyler Wotherspoon with Devils

52 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

About Mark Jankowski being the steal of the 2012 draft...

That was King , in Calgary saying how the high schooler was going to be the next Bobby Orr.

Jankowski played D most of his non professional career, I’m surprised they weren’t patient with the young man and groom him a bit more.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I guess he’s still available. I thought maybe he was similar to Parise where the Islanders had a contract done but hadn’t yet filed it or done an official confirmation, but now looks like that may not be the case.

I guess in addition to Zajac, there’s also Neal, Chiasson, Gustafsson, and Dubnyk still out there (as well as the several players I mentioned earlier), when it comes to PTO candidates with name recognition.

I really would like to see a PTO go to a guy that can provide center depth, especially to our bottom 6. I don't want to see Miller dragged into a 3C role, his 1LW role is too important to our success. Galchenyuk, Staal and Zajac are the 3 available UFAs with name recognition. I think Zajac is the better of the 3, from last season:

Center PTOs.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I really would like to see a PTO go to a guy that can provide center depth, especially to our bottom 6. I don't want to see Miller dragged into a 3C role, his 1LW role is too important to our success. Galchenyuk, Staal and Zajac are the 3 available UFAs with name recognition. I think Zajac is the better of the 3, from last season:

Center PTOs.JPG

Yeah, definitely as far as last (regular) season goes, Zajac looks to be the better of the three (although there’s an argument for Galchenyuk having better underlyings, and he’s certainly on the more favourable side of the age curves).

Staal seemed to have gotten old and slow very quickly, going from being a legitimate top-six player just a year ago, to being well in the sub-replacement level tier for most of this past regular season. I think he’s probably not quite as bad as that, and he had some good moments in the playoffs, but he’s certainly declined rather quickly.

Still, for a 5C/depth player, probably any one of them could fit the bill. 

I definitely wouldn’t be against adding some veteran “graybeard” depth at 750K. Especially if they’re also willing to go down to Abby, if the roster situation demands it, and help mentor some of the kids.

Not sure there’s a great chance of getting either Zajac or Staal to choose Vancouver (if they have other options), but we’ll see what happens. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, definitely as far as last (regular) season goes, Zajac looks to be the better of the three (although there’s an argument for Galchenyuk having better underlyings, and he’s certainly on the more favourable side of the age curves).

Staal seemed to have gotten old and slow very quickly, going from being a legitimate top-six player just a year ago, to being well in the sub-replacement level tier for most of this past regular season. I think he’s probably not quite as bad as that, and he had some good moments in the playoffs, but he’s certainly declined rather quickly.

Still, for a 5C/depth player, probably any one of them could fit the bill. 

I definitely wouldn’t be against adding some veteran “graybeard” depth at 750K. Especially if they’re also willing to go down to Abby, if the roster situation demands it, and help mentor some of the kids.

Not sure there’s a great chance of getting either Zajac or Staal to choose Vancouver (if they have other options), but we’ll see what happens. 

All good points. And agree any one of those guys would be good depth. I like Zajac primarily because he is so defensively responsible (look at his +/- compared to the other two). He is like Sutter with a bit more offensive upside.

19 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Center PTOs.JPG

Galchenyuk is good too. I've always thought he was a good player. 

Zajac is too old for our team and Staal has declined too quickly. All good points, but I take Chucky over Zajac. In this league it's all about youth and potential and I still see Galchenyuk as a top nine forward, a potential option down the middle if there's an injury, that kind of stuff. Sutter's definitely a better option as a 4C, but Chucky could probably displace Highmore in some games. 

Then there's that bit about Jankowski being the "steal of the 2012 draft", which somebody mentioned. Seriously, I don't see how that's they could've seen that in him. Did they not see the league he was playing in? 

I like Jankowski. He is horrible offensively but when you can pay a guy league minimum to play solid defensively in a 4th line role and kill penalties it opens up cash to spend higher up in the lineup. He is kind of like what we hoped Beagle to be, except paid Beagle 3 million per year as well.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Mark Jankowski has been released from his PTO.

ok Jankowski is actually a player that can PK. He was 2nd amongst CGY forwards 2 years ago in SH TOI/GP two years ago and 4th amongst forwards on a deeper Pens team last year. He's a big body, has put up 30+ points, former first round pick, has scored a bunch of short handed goals. Could actually be a longer term Sutter replacement with two high energy wingers like Motte, Highmore and/or Lockwood on the side - and it seems like he could be had for league minimum.

Edited by Teemu Selänne

On 9/14/2021 at 10:03 AM, Devron44 said:

Vesey was such a plug lol

On 9/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, Dazzle said:

He had a great opportunity to play with some good players, but it just never worked out.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, DeltaSwede said:

Vesey was so underwhelming with the Canucks. A true floater. 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, sassbs said:

lmao vessel, the player that was touted to be the next best… holding out not wanting to play for thr team that drafted him.   This kid is a fringe nhl player.  

On 9/14/2021 at 1:43 PM, RWMc1 said:

I thought that Vesey had decent skills but he doesn't play with any sort of passion or intensity. It's like he doesn't care if his team wins or loses.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, he's not someone I'd want to count on when push comes to shove. 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, cuporbust said:

Vesey is a d bag . Hope he gets cut 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:22 PM, cuporbust said:

Selfish from the moment he got drafted.  Why would he play any different?

I'm not going to speculate too deeply based on the limited amount of screen time he got, but have you guys seen that Laffs documentary on Amazon prime? His attitude was inexplicable. He's a fringe NHLer with a career at risk and still acting like he's the best and any coaching is a personal affront to his greatness. Complete lack of self awareness.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

I'm not going to speculate too deeply based on the limited amount of screen time he got, but have you guys seen that Laffs documentary on Amazon prime? His attitude was inexplicable. He's a fringe NHLer with a career at risk and still acting like he's the best and any coaching is a personal affront to his greatness. Complete lack of self awareness.

So much for selecting people based on character. I really question Green's choices of players.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

So much for selecting people based on character. I really question Green's choices of players.

He played 20 game with us when we needed warm bodies and wasn't coming back. I wouldn't put this on them at all, if anything they learned and stayed away. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, McBackup said:

He played 20 game with us when we needed warm bodies and wasn't coming back. I wouldn't put this on them at all, if anything they learned and stayed away. 

They really didn't need Vesey.

• Wat 2

On 10/8/2021 at 7:22 PM, Teemu Selänne said:

ok Jankowski is actually a player that can PK. He was 2nd amongst CGY forwards 2 years ago in SH TOI/GP two years ago and 4th amongst forwards on a deeper Pens team last year. He's a big body, has put up 30+ points, former first round pick, has scored a bunch of short handed goals. Could actually be a longer term Sutter replacement with two high energy wingers like Motte, Highmore and/or Lockwood on the side - and it seems like he could be had for league minimum.

He looks like the perfect stop gap while Sutter and Motte are out 

C10F7566-4F52-43B4-B8F5-3F947802E0E0.jpeg

• Upvote 1