The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Australia to get nuclear-powered submarines, will scrap $90b program to build French-designed subs

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah was gonna say what is the point with the US next door and then thought that they would be useful to patrol the northwest passage when shipping becomes becomes year round.

We already have some that spend most of their time in dry dock.  Might as well upgrade to something that works if we're going to have them anyway.

Australian subs will be nuclear powered, does not mean equipped with nuclear weapons.

Underwater speed and endurance are huge advantages of  nuclear power, the down side is it is a noisier system than diesel/ electric and the various AIP systems.

That said, if you are looking for a non nuke powered sub, talk to the Germans. Same thing goes for tanks.

I'd like to see a derivative of the type U-214 or U-212 class, for Canadian usage. Built in some extra length for greater underwater range, and they would be able to work in the Canadian arctic.

Stock U 2-14's have the ability to stay submerged, with out snorkeling for 3 weeks. Bump that up to 4 weeks and they would be ok in the North.

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if something like the Japanese Soryu or Taigei class could be a good fit for Canada. Lithium-ion battery powered, so less complex, less maintenance, more under-water time. Not sure we need anything nuclear when we're under the US umbrella. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Australian subs will be nuclear powered, does not mean equipped with nuclear weapons.

Underwater speed and endurance are huge advantages of  nuclear power, the down side is it is a noisier system than diesel/ electric and the various AIP systems.

That said, if you are looking for a non nuke powered sub, talk to the Germans. Same thing goes for tanks.

I'd like to see a derivative of the type U-214 or U-212 class, for Canadian usage. Built in some extra length for greater underwater range, and they would be able to work in the Canadian arctic.

Stock U 2-14's have the ability to stay submerged, with out snorkeling for 3 weeks. Bump that up to 4 weeks and they would be ok in the North.

My buddy Alf bought his OWN sub!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, -SN- said:

I wonder if something like the Japanese Soryu or Taigei class could be a good fit for Canada. Lithium-ion battery powered, so less complex, less maintenance, more under-water time. Not sure we need anything nuclear when we're under the US umbrella. 

this would be the option I'd prefer. I like the idea of purchasing from Japan as well, it could be part of a much larger trade deal with them. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -SN- said:

My only complaint about being 'under the US umbrella' is exactly that.

We're going to be, whether we like it or not - but if we put ourselves in a position where we can say "we can also do this" when they try to pull 'that' umbrella card in other negotiations, it significantly lessens that impact as it were.

We're in NATO, we participate in the ADIZ, we are part of "fortress North America." again, like it or not. BUT having our own system abilities, particularly given our ability to mine and process uranium within Canada and tell off the yanks once in awhile for other things would probably do the nation good.

So I anticipate whatever government gets formed by whatever party [ies] to do exactly the opposite in time, and flush it down for some kickbacks at a later date.

• Upvote 1