The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Would you] Pettersson/Marner

Warhippy

3 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

no, probably matthews to arizona for Keller/Chychrun and 2 firsts and 4 seconds, seems like thats whats arizona might be up to

Actually what Arizona is up to is completely rebuilding their team from scratch, with 31 draft picks over the next 3 years and over $52 million in cap space next summer.  They can wait 3 years and sign Matthews as a UFA for free...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Actually what Arizona is up to is completely rebuilding their team from scratch, with 31 draft picks over the next 3 years and over $52 million in cap space next summer.  They can wait 3 years and sign Matthews as a UFA for free...

Sure that's the plan ...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

this is not even a realistic question. no GM will ever retain 35% of a 10mil+ contract just to sign another 9mil+ contract and then add the 3.5-4mil on top in retention lol unless you are giving them like 2-3 1st rounders on top

Yes.   The question should be, if EP is looking for 11.5 x 5 million and will hold out into he gets it, would we trade for Marner one for one.   We'd save a little cap, have Marner for one less year etc - and we all know Dubas would be happy to spend like that lol.   A little more realistic.   But still corny as heck. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Simple question.

Pettersson holds out.  Is asking $9+ million.

Toronto offers Marner 1-1 3.5 million retained

So

To Toronto:  Pettersson

To Vancouver:  Marner 3.5 million retained for a cap AAV of 7.4 million

Would you?

With MM at 7.4 on the cap, I would absolutely make that deal.  I’d make that deal with MM at 9 mil.  

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I recall you hating on how Marner plays, calling him flamingo boy.

Why the change of tune?

Marner is very responsible defensively (without the puck). He’s the Leaf’s best PK forward.  He never avoids blocking shots.  Nylander does the flamingo to avoid getting hit by the puck.  He also takes an angle to a shooter that he knows the puck won’t travel.  He’s a cowardly player.  

Marner is none of those things.  So MM at under 9 mil is a really good player to have.  

Marner at 8-9 mil is not a bad deal whether realistic or not. IMO though Marner has pretty much reached his ceiling whereas the ceiling for EP is unknown. Still believe EP will sign a reasonable bridge deal and then I'll take my chances with him going forward instead of dealing him.

10 hours ago, khay said:

Yes.

Put Miller on center and Marner at wing. Marner has produced 90+ points before and it is very likely that he will continue to do so. Besides, he kills penalties if I'm not mistaken and is defensively aware (unlike Matthews).

Either next to Bo or Miller he'll be solid (Hoglander, Boeser, Pearson and Podkolzin are all projected to be solid two-way wingers).  If coach wants to keep Bo's line as a shutdown line, Pearson - Bo - Marner would be a very strong trio (solid defensively like Loui, but with offense).  That being said, as you say, Marner with Miller would help cover any defensive miscues and they can feed off each other.

At that retention he'd be one of the few that I'd be down to trade Petey for.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

Marner is one of the best defensive wingers in the league. Amongst wingers, I’ll probably only rank Stone, Killron, and Marchard ahead of him. Since entering the league he’s 3rd in takeaways, and led his team in SH minutes played, the past two seasons.

Who is this Killron fellow?

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Either next to Bo or Miller he'll be solid (Hoglander, Boeser, Pearson and Podkolzin are all projected to be solid two-way wingers).  If coach wants to keep Bo's line as a shutdown line, Pearson - Bo - Marner would be a very strong trio (solid defensively like Loui, but with offense).  That being said, as you say, Marner with Miller would help cover any defensive miscues and they can feed off each other.

At that retention he'd be one of the few that I'd be down to trade Petey for.

You mean as good as he who must not be named?

You can't be serious!!! How dare you put a scrub like Marner on the same sentence as Player Name?

• Haha 1