The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Workplace Harassment & What to Do

Tortorella's Rant

Suggestions needed.

Someone near and dear to me has been dealing with harassment and intimidation in the Abbotsford school district for the past 8 months now and it has got to the point where she is visibly emotional about it and is being threatened with suspension without pay and possible termination altogether. She has been accused of and reported to HR for not doing her job, being late and leaving early, violating covid protocol in the office. It is particularly worrisome because it is the principal and the vice principal of the school collaborating these complaints against her and without evidence. And by default because of their titles, HR simply takes their word for it hence she is now facing suspension.  I don't have all of the details which is part of the problem in explaining what is going on here in greater capacity, but from what she tells me there it appears there is a conspiracy against her to forcefully make her leave or be fired for reasons unknown. I have no reason to not trust her on this especially when she has been in the school district for 25 years without a prior complaint, but now numerous complaints in the past 8 months.

The district is unionized of course but they are unable or unwilling to help. Her union rep has been absolutely useless.

She has a couple coworkers who can substantiate, at least in theory, that she is being mistreated, and she has over 200 images on her phone of her signing into her computer in the morning and logging out at the end of the day to dispel these notions that she is late and leaving early. Unfortunately she doesn't have much in writing from the principal and VP regarding requests and job tasks so when they accuse her of not doing her job or or completing tasks on time, she has proof to the contrary.

Aside from speaking with an employment lawyer real soon here I'm not sure what the hell to do for her. It's a code red type situation at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The district is unionized of course but they are unable or unwilling to help. Her union rep has been absolutely useless.

I would go above the union rep and go straight to the union president.  She has a right to proper representation and her union should not hang her out to dry like that.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

it appears there is a conspiracy against her to forcefully make her leave or be fired for reasons unknown. 

When someone says something like this it makes me wonder, there is probably more to this story than you have been told.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Suggestions needed.

Someone near and dear to me has been dealing with harassment and intimidation in the Abbotsford school district for the past 8 months now and it has got to the point where she is visibly emotional about it and is being threatened with suspension without pay and possible termination altogether. She has been accused of and reported to HR for not doing her job, being late and leaving early, violating covid protocol in the office. It is particularly worrisome because it is the principal and the vice principal of the school collaborating these complaints against her and without evidence. And by default because of their titles, HR simply takes their word for it hence she is now facing suspension.  I don't have all of the details which is part of the problem in explaining what is going on here in greater capacity, but from what she tells me there it appears there is a conspiracy against her to forcefully make her leave or be fired for reasons unknown. I have no reason to not trust her on this especially when she has been in the school district for 25 years without a prior complaint, but now numerous complaints in the past 8 months.

She has a couple coworkers who can substantiate, at least in theory, that she is being mistreated, and she has over 200 images on her phone of her signing into her computer in the morning and logging out at the end of the day to dispel these notions that she is late and leaving early. Unfortunately she doesn't have much in writing from the principal and VP regarding requests and job tasks so when they accuse her of not doing her job or or completing tasks on time, she has proof to the contrary.

Aside from speaking with an employment lawyer real soon here I'm not sure what the hell to do for her. It's a code red type situation at this point. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. But are we sure she's being harassed? If she's not doing her job or violating rules, maybe that's why the union is not getting involved.

I know it's someone you care about. If the principal and vice-principal are not documenting things that raises a red flag. Can the union maybe transfer her to another school? 

Everything needs to be documented. Images on her phone is one thing. Her union should be able to pull the computer logs when she signs in and out. I agree if her representative isn't helping her out, she should push up the chain of command. 

So these two just randomly decide to try to make her leave? I'm thinking there's a lot more going on here than just a personality clash. 

• Cheers 1

Sorry but something doesn't add up completely.  Two administrators risking their own careers and potential legal actions against themselves to collaborate against a random employee who otherwise is completely innocent?  For what reason exactly?  

My only advice, since you asked, is for this person to document everything she does, every day - and by everything I mean do not leave a single minute of the day unaccounted for because I can guarantee that it will be necessary to account for their time/work if/when it comes to that - do NOT leave it in the hands of others to corroborate her whereabouts. Furthermore,  I would advise that this person not say anything against the administrators or the school or the district regardless of their personal feelings as that could potentially be deemed as slander and not helping their position. 

Oh, and sorry if this sounds harsh, I realize if this person is close to you it's difficult to set emotions aside,  but if you really want to help them get the full facts of the situation clear before moving forward. 

• Cheers 2

If you don't have all the details...why is that?  You can't go to bat for her unless she's completely open and honest.

How is she violating COVID protocol?  In a school, it's very important to follow the rules because kids will be put at risk.

I, too, feel there's some missing information that could be vital in this.  Doesn't make sense that they'd harass her for no reason and randomly.  

• Cheers 1

There's always more to it than meets the eye.

In the Covid-19 thread, I mentioned my wife's co-worker.  She was never written up before either in the years prior.  Reason - no manager wanted the headache of dealing with the union and all the extra paperwork involved.  That co-worker would routinely be late (verified by swipe in card), take extended lunch hour breaks (would come back from lunch with a new hairdo / color...that takes time).  And leave early when management already left.  She was finally reprimanded when she used company property for her own benefit.  She still works there but she hasn't changed. 

Mind you, the OP friend may have a case of harrassment.  Have the union do their job.  It protected my wife's lazy ass co-worker. 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

O.P. hope it works out ok for your mom.

An event like this should not be handled at a "shop steward" level. This stuff is  the union's "business agents or" labour relations officers" level

I wouldn't rely solely on the union, they sometimes don't support everyone. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I wouldn't rely solely on the union, they sometimes don't support everyone. 

1st try- shop steward

2nd try- local union prez

3rd try  is the  union's L.R.O's or business agents

4th try is the union president.

5th try is union trustees

6th  try  is lawyer time.

It is important to follow the flow chart, without skipping steps. Skipping steps can be harmful to ones case.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

1st try- shop steward

2nd try- local union prez

3rd try  is the  union's L.R.O's or business agents

4th try is the union president.

5th try is union trustees

6th  try  is lawyer time.

It is important to follow the flow chart, without skipping steps. Skipping steps can be harmful to ones case.

thats a lot of steps. Who's there to help walk people through that? particularly if your 1st step person is against you?

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats a lot of steps. Who's there to help walk people through that? particularly if your 1st step person is against you?

A different shop steward, there should be a few at any school, or a long term employee.

Most grievance procedures should be listed in the CBA.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

A different shop steward, there should be a few at any school, or a long term employee.

Most grievance procedures should be listed in the CBA.

well, having some independent advice while you do those steps may also be a good idea. If the union black lists you for that, then what good are they? 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

well, having some independent advice while you do those steps may also be a good idea. If the union black lists you for that, then what good are they? 

If your head office union is doing nothing, most unions have a "parent" union. Ferry Workers are affiliated with the BCGEU, have issues with Ferry Worker Union, talk to the BCGEU. There is also the BC Federation of Labour.

I'd venture a guess that the person that is in this grief rarely, if ever, went to a union meeting and likely never read the collective agreement; which is typical of most people in a union environment.

There is no one perfect solution.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

If your head office union is doing nothing, most unions have a "parent" union. Ferry Workers are affiliated with the BCGEU, have issues with Ferry Worker Union, talk to the BCGEU. There is also the BC Federation of Labour.

I'd venture a guess that the person that is in this grief rarely, if ever, went to a union meeting and likely never read the collective agreement; which is typical of most people in a union environment.

There is no one perfect solution.

In my first job out of college, I was in a union for 4 years. I needed their help at the end, got ignored. Last thing I would have done is start looking up the chain after getting treated like that, I just ended up leaving for greener pastures. But I do remember the feeling of being hung out to dry. Its pretty deflating. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

In my first job out of college, I was in a union for 4 years. I needed their help at the end, got ignored. Last thing I would have done is start looking up the chain after getting treated like that, I just ended up leaving for greener pastures. But I do remember the feeling of being hung out to dry. Its pretty deflating. 

I was a shop steward for about 10 yrs, a local vice prez for 3 and acting local president for about a yr.

Strange things get decided at the executive meetings at times.

About 12 yrs ago the company wrote a letter to various ship's officers telling them that the employer would no longer be paying them $100  a month for what was known as "ticket allowance". This was paid to those officers, that had a higher ticket available to the company, than was needed to do their actual job on the ship.

Company letter stated "as it is unreasonable and impractical to send you to a different point of assembly, the company feels that your ticket is not 'available' for it's use.

3 yrs later the company is trying to tell the union and it's employees they can send any bargaining unit employee anywhere they want as long as they pay the agreed to live away/hotel/transportation costs.

Talk at the executive meeting  is 'Well lets try to negotiate this to better terms".

I ask someone to print out a copy of the previously mentioned letter, and say "No negotiation needed, proceed to arbitration". My stated view point being no arbitrator is going to make people do something the employer has already admitted is unreasonable and impractical.

I lost in a vote and the executive went on to  negotiate an adjustment, with the employer, that the junior seniority person must go.

I didn't last more than another couple of months.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

I was a shop steward for about 10 yrs, a local vice prez for 3 and acting local president for about a yr.

Strange things get decided at the executive meetings at times.

About 12 yrs ago the company wrote a letter to various ship's officers telling them that the employer would no longer be paying them $100  a month for what was known as "ticket allowance". This was paid to those officers, that had a higher ticket available to the company, than was needed to do their actual job on the ship.

Company letter stated "as it is unreasonable and impractical to send you to a different point of assembly, the company feels that your ticket is not 'available' for it's use.

3 yrs later the company is trying to tell the union and it's employees they can send any bargaining unit employee anywhere they want as long as they pay the agreed to live away/hotel/transportation costs.

Talk at the executive meeting  is 'Well lets try to negotiate this to better terms".

I ask someone to print out a copy of the previously mentioned letter, and say "No negotiation needed, proceed to arbitration". My stated view point being no arbitrator is going to make people do something the employer has already admitted is unreasonable and impractical.

I lost in a vote and the executive went on to  negotiate an adjustment, with the employer, that the junior seniority person must go.

I didn't last more than another couple of months.

for me it was more personal, I ended up in a relationship with someone and while it was within the rule book, our union rep (who hated me anyway) made a massive stink about it, and when I went to get help was totally ignored. Then his girlfriend applied for my job when I quit :picard: she didn't get it, thankfully. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Suggestions needed.

is she a teacher or cupe?  I'm not sure why her union rep wouldn't be helping her.  I know many admin who "force" people out in one way or another, it's certainly nothing new.  How is she accused of violating covid protocol?

Edited by stawns