The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Alex Chiasson with Canucks

A big gritty winger that has won a Stanley Cup, id say he has a pretty good chance to make the team especially with Motte out to start. Has 101 Career NHL goals under his belt. Not sure if he was fully healthy last year though and if he is back to 100%? 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Looking at the UFA list and seeing Bobby Ryan sign a PTO with Detroit yesterday, Chiasson looked like the only mildly interesting forward left, so I'm not too surprised.  I am surprised that he doesn't kill penalties though, since that's what we need in a replacement forward now.  He has decent size, but I have to say that I always thought he'd play a more physical game than I recall him playing.  Hope he picks it up in that area if we do sign him.  

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

He has decent size, but I have to say that I always thought he'd play a more physical game than I recall him playing.  Hope he picks it up in that area if we do sign him.  

Pretty unlikely that a guy will become more physical in his 30s.  Probably what we see is what we get.

My recollection of Chiasson is that he's a reasonably effective bottom 6 forward who has enough offensive ability to fill in a top-6 role from time to time.  Decent skater for a tall guy.  Tall but not really "big", although he is listed at 208 lbs.  My guess is that with injuries, Chiasson may push a guy like MacEwen not necessarily in terms of play style but in terms of ability to contribute in a bottom 6 role.

• Vintage 1