The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Clayton Keller and/or Jacob Chychrun to the Vancouver Canucks

[proposal] Clayton Keller and/or Jacob Chychrun to the Vancouver Canucks

While I don’t have a specific proposal in mind per se, I’m wondering if there’s a deal there to be made between the two teams that makes sense for both sides.

Arizona wants:

• to reduce long term liabilities 
  • Get young and cheap prospects and/or picks

Canucks want:

• To be competitive now
  • Making an aggressive push within these coming years but not completely blowing up the farm.  Still keeping a mindful eye of the future.

Is there a deal there that would make sense for both teams?

• Cheers 2

I'd consider trading h QHs straight across for Chychrun.   That would open a window for us us.  Cost controlled for a few years, he's better then Edler ever was already and can score goals.   So that's one trade right there.    

Keller?  No thanks that's a bad contract.   I've brought him up in the same air as Dubas and recently Sakic as part of the inflation train that doesn't make sense with flat cap.  Rantanen and Makar.   Makar not as much actually but wow Rantanen.   Those two guys should be kissing Nathan's ass every single time he walks into the dressing room.    Maker's deal would have been fine if it was longer.    Doughty and his deal were the same cap percentage, but somehow Makar got away from the term.   That's the issue i have with his deal.   Also being paid like a top four deal at the time ... Werenski and Nurse kind of blew it up even further.   Chychrun and McAvoy are going to be paid bank when their deals are up too though.    Two guys we should have drafted instead of OJ which is ironic.    Why didn't Carlson get 10 x 8?   For sure he would if it was this year lol. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Chychrun is the piece they kept to build around. 
Keller is a terrible contract that should be untradeable. 
Don’t see it happening. 

Yes he is.   They already are talking about this and using him as part of their promo for going to games.    We'd have to trade QHs.. and maybe they'd say no thanks ... that said the entire league knows they are just waiting for AM to come along ... so maybe they wouldn't say no either. 

20 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Chychrun is the piece they kept to build around. 
Keller is a terrible contract that should be untradeable. 
Don’t see it happening. 

Agreed with both you and Quijbo that moving Chychrun is highly unlikely.  Only reason why I thought that it *might* be possible, is because the Coyotes are hemorrhaging money and might need to reduce long term costs in the worst way possible (and so they might be open to something revolving around Pearson, Rathbone, Klimovich, and a 2022 1st). 

Another thought running through my head was something revolving around Pearson, Rathbone, and Myers, and for Clayton Keller and Anton Stralman (although my gut says that this would be a $&!#ty deal for the Canucks)

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Keller-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman

Juolevi-Stralman

Demko

Halak

14 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed with both you and Quijbo that moving Chychrun is highly unlikely.  Only reason why I thought that it *might* be possible, is because the Coyotes are hemorrhaging money and might need to reduce long term costs in the worst way possible (and so they might be open to something revolving around Pearson, Rathbone, Klimovich, and a 2022 1st). 

Another thought running through my head was something revolving around Pearson, Rathbone, and Myers, and for Clayton Keller and Anton Stralman (although my gut says that this would be a $&!#ty deal for the Canucks)

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Keller-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman

Juolevi-Stralman

Demko

Halak

As the clock is ticking - camp has started.   Well maybe we should all just take a break from the CDC and re-convene in a week lol.   Or whenever the season starts if EP and QHs haven't signed.   I think they will...looks like EP and QHs have solidarity.    EP going to hang out with QHs ... maybe he's going to tell him to stop being a dofus and sign already.   But since we are in the realm of fantasy - i'd trade QHs to Florida for Ekblad in an instant.   And seriously consider trading him for Chychrun too.   Might be awkward because we also have OEL... but nah probably do it.   Also trade him to NYI for Dobson plus their first and take some cap back.   

• Cheers 1

I feel like we have to presume that the team is building around Chychrun

I think the last players who may be available for future assets would be Nick Schmaltz and/or Phil Kessel. Schmaltz would assumedly cost in the same range as Christian Dvorak - similar stats, age.

I would like him here - versatile player, who played on a line with Boeser and was a teammate of Poolman in college. But I don't see how the Canucks would fit him.

Wouldn't be against Kessel if he was retained at 50% and move for Tanner Pearson and a pick. The wings aren't exactly a place of need for the Canucks, but would give them an elite top-9:

JT - Petey - BB

Podz - Bo - Garland

Hoggie - Dickie - Kessel

Motte - Sutter - Highmore

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'd consider trading h QHs straight across for Chychrun.   That would open a window for us us.  Cost controlled for a few years, he's better then Edler ever was already and can score goals.   So that's one trade right there.    

I'd not only consider that trade, I'd be jumping for joy.  Great contract and much better defensively.

• Vintage 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:33 PM, morrissex95 said:

Patel, you've got to stop trading everybody man 

These are just ideas man, lol.  Atleast on a slow day.  Get the balls rolling so to speak.

My only *real* thought is that I’d consider moving both Hughes and Boeser (for a top RHD, 1st rounder(s) and subsequent cap space) IF guys like Rathbone, Podkolzin, and Klimovich take significant leaps in their games over the next 12-18 months.

7 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

These are just ideas man, lol.  Atleast on a slow day.  Get the balls rolling so to speak.

My only *real* thought is that I’d consider moving both Hughes and Boeser (for a top RHD, 1st rounder(s) and subsequent cap space) IF guys like Rathbone, Podkolzin, and Klimovich take significant leaps in their games over the next 12-18 months.

We can't trade all these guys man it's a bad idea they're not meat 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

We can't trade all these guys man it's a bad idea they're not meat 

We probably wouldn’t trade BOTH Hughes and Boeser if both Rathbone and Klimovich developed, but it would certainly give us some options.  Boeser will need to be reupped at the end of this season while JT Miller’s contact will be up two seasons from now.  The Canucks will have some cap decisions to make.  

My ultimate point is that if some of our young guys get good relatively quickly (Rathbone, Klimovich), it expands our options.

Edited by Patel Bure

On 9/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, Patel Bure said:

We probably wouldn’t trade BOTH Hughes and Boeser if both Rathbone and Klimovich developed, but it would certainly give us some options.  Boeser will need to be reupped at the end of this season while JT Miller’s contact will be up two seasons from now.  The Canucks will have some cap decisions to make.  

My ultimate point is that if some of our young guys get good relatively quickly (Rathbone, Klimovich), it expands our options.

Klimovich will take two years. Rathbone is ready now. I would rather have Stankoven over Klimovich, but our scouts said otherwise. 

We'll sign Hughes 4X6 and Pettersson 3X7, plus we'll have to trade a pick to replace Hamonic. Simple. The metropolitan division is the only division that has NO teams that are a foregone conclusion to miss the playoffs, everyone else has someone who is going to bow out. A 3rd to replace Hamonic, probably less than we paid for Travis and then Hughes and Petey will play. No need for trades. 

• Cheers 1