The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumour] Kessel 'would welcome' trade, could be moved

Ilya Mikheyev

During a segment on the “Brotherly Pod” podcast earlier this week, Coyotes’ Insider Craig Morgan expressed the ‘Yotes will look to continue this trend during the upcoming season and Phil Kessel’s name may be the next one up.

“Trust me, Phil wants to move,” said Morgan. “He wants out of here; he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild. The problem is moving Phil, they just haven’t had much interest from other teams at this point. Even though he led the team with 20 goals last year, I think other teams look at it and think there’s some baggage associated with Phil Kessel.

The Fourth Period

After Christian Dvorak was traded to Montreal, there were some Jakob Chychrun rumours. I don’t believe those, but I do think there will be a lot of eyes on Phil Kessel once the season begins. There were some conversations around the draft (the Sharks came up there, too, but that’s not going to happen). If he starts out hot, things are going to intensify in a hurry.

Friedman

I think the Coyotes will explore trading Kessel. They likely would have done that with or without Tocchet as the coach. The fact that Tocchet isn't the coach anymore is an indication to me that the Coyotes are going to build around their youth and might want a younger coach who will grow with them...

...I'm not sure Kessel lands the Coyotes a first-round pick, but trading him will get them some much-needed draft picks.

NHL.com's Dan Rosen

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

AZ wold have to retain 1/2 and take back 3.4 in bad salary from some team. I guess its possible, Phil can still score. Not sure what team really needs him or fits the conditions to move him. 

Raymond, Ballard and a 2nd Pearson, MacEwen + a 2nd for 50% retain Kessel

54 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm pretty sure Kessel would do cartwheels out of Arizona, if someone would take him for a season at 6.8 million. Pretty sure that Arizona has to retain at least 50% to get anyone seriously interested unless they are taking back another contract.

Kessel for one year at 3.4 is a pretty good deal for a team that needs a scoring winger IMO.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree, he's a little on the slow side, but can still fire the puck.

Yea, his point totals last year were nothing to sneeze at, and not much of a commitment at this point

Benning did draft him and we know Benning is loyal to players he once liked. Someone (P E A R S O N) would have to be outgoing, but it could be a possible fit.