The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bode Wilde unvaccinated - "hoping his human rights are enough to allow him to play...what a world"

Rate this topic

Dazzle

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

NHLPA doesn't want these unvaccinated idiots infecting the majority of the players who aren't ignorant lunatics.  I'd go a step further and let teams suspend these losers without pay until they decide to be men and do the right thing.

How in holy hell can this piece of garbage go into any locker room and look his teammates in the eye knowing he's willingly made himself a biohazard.

I agree but there probably has to be something in the CBA that permits this.

This --> being able to buy them out sans cap penalty/implications.

Edited by AV.

18 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

He is aware human rights have nothing to do with being able to cross the international border.  Something kind of important to play in the NHL.  

He’s a sovereign citizen.  He’s not flying or driving across the border.  He’s travelling & not bound by the laws of either Canada or US. Freeeeeeeeeeedoooooom!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

NHLPA doesn't want these unvaccinated idiots infecting the majority of the players who aren't ignorant lunatics.  I'd go a step further and let teams suspend these losers without pay until they decide to be men and do the right thing.

How in holy hell can this piece of garbage go into any locker room and look his teammates in the eye knowing he's willingly made himself a biohazard.

The NHLPA refused to impose vaccination but have tightened protocols for unvaccinated players.  Now to see if teams truly apply them.  Some teams were more lenient than others last season.  

Horvat is the Canucks’ NHLPA representative:  “Obviously, people have other reasons (religious, medical) and you have to respect that, too. You don’t want to tell people what to do, but you can encourage it. You have to walk a fine line.”

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2198646/islanders-prospect-bode-wilde-unvaccinated-not-attending-camp

"Hoping my human rights are enough to let me play ... what a world," the 21-year-old defenseman wrote in a comment on Instagram, according to Arthur Staple of The Athletic.

What a facepalm comment. Just absolutely despicable because he THINKS he has the human rights to play hockey. Playing hockey is a privilege, not a human right. What a stupid, stupid anti-vaxxer.

Wish he would state his reasons 

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Wish he would state his reasons 

Stupidity and lack of professionalism.  This waste of oxygen plays on a team where the GM won't allow beards, and he thinks this BS is going to fly?  There is no excuse that would make it acceptable for this piece of trash to insist on endangering the health of his teammates.  Islanders are doing the right thing keeping this locker room cancer away from the team.

• Cheers 2

I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a minute here.  I don't know anything about this guy or the reasons that he isn't vaccinated, but not taking the Covid Vaccine doesn't necessarily make you an anti-vaccier  at least not in the traditional sense.  There seems to be a number of people who have all there normal Vaccines that are very weary of this one.  The three reasons I've heard are 1) The speed of which it was produced scares people (lack of testing etc). There is a little bit to this one as 2 of the vaccines that where Ok'd shouldn't have been.  2) It's a new type of Vaccine at least as far as being commercially available.  3) Vaccinated people are still getting Covid.

I'm not saying any of these are legitimate reasons, but fear can be a hard thing for people to overcome.  BTW I am Double Vaccinated but my point is maybe the kid is just scared, so scared he is potentially flushing his career down the toilet because of it.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AV. said:

I doubt the NHLPA would allow it.

They have already given teams, essentially the ability to suspend without pay for games that they are ineligible to play.

As long as its under the current formula of the league buyouts, why would NHLPA mind? It opens a spot for another player.

12 minutes ago, thrago said:

I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a minute here.  I don't know anything about this guy or the reasons that he isn't vaccinated, but not taking the Covid Vaccine doesn't necessarily make you an anti-vaccier  at least not in the traditional sense.  There seems to be a number of people who have all there normal Vaccines that are very weary of this one.  The three reasons I've heard are 1) The speed of which it was produced scares people (lack of testing etc). There is a little bit to this one as 2 of the vaccines that where Ok'd shouldn't have been.  2) It's a new type of Vaccine at least as far as being commercially available.  3) Vaccinated people are still getting Covid.

I'm not saying any of these are legitimate reasons, but fear can be a hard thing for people to overcome.  BTW I am Double Vaccinated but my point is maybe the kid is just scared, so scared he is potentially flushing his career down the toilet because of it.   

Better a new vaccine than a new virus.  Anyone who uses any of those arguments has something severely wrong with them.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, thrago said:

There won't be a career if he ends up getting COVID and is in the emergency room.

Being immune to COVID is not what the vaccine does. This shows a complete lack of education from those who use this line of logic. It just means that your body is better prepared against COVID. There's more than enough clinical trials to see that the vaccines work. The ones in the ER right now are largely the unvaccinated.

I know none of these comments are meant to be directed at you; it's just that the so-called devil's advocate position makes no sense. Fear is obviously irrational, but this fear is supplemented by a lot of BAD INFO.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There won't be a career if he ends up getting COVID and is in the emergency room.

Being immune to COVID is not what the vaccine does. This shows a complete lack of education from those who use this line of logic. It just means that your body is better prepared against COVID. There's more than enough clinical trials to see that the vaccines work. The ones in the ER right now are largely the unvaccinated.

I know none of these comments are meant to be directed at you; it's just that the so-called devil's advocate position makes no sense. Fear is obviously irrational, but this fear is supplemented by a lot of BAD INFO.

I agree with you 100%, my point really was that Fear can throw rationality out the window especially if say your parents are feeding into that fear.  I have no more clue he's reasons then I assume anyone else on here does, I guess what I was getting too without saying it is.  He's just a kid and we don't need to make personal attacks on him for making what we all think is a mistake and really only effects his life/career.  Hopefully he will come to his senses get the shots and this can all be in the past.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, thrago said:

Not to sound argumentative but these are fairly ignorant excuses. If you put the time in to inform yourself, then none of these misgivings stand up.

Being fearful is one thing.  Holding steadfast in your ignorance because you haven't put the time in to inform yourself is something else.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, thrago said:

Hopefully he takes advantage of the team’s resources for personnel and medical information to help him make an informed decision. Jesse Ylonen of the Habs originally declined as well but apparently has since changed his mind and decided to get vaccinated. I’m not sure where Tyler Bertuzzi fits in. Zac Renaldo is pretty outspoken on masks and rules but as far as I know Josh Archibald of the Oilers is the only confirmed anti-vaxxer. Posts and retweets a lot of conspiracy stuff, lots of OAN stories, etc.

• Cheers 1

Being against a government mandate is one thing, but the NHL has a right to enforce whatever rules they see fit. Playing in the NHL (or any sports league for that matter) is a privilege, not a right. Too few people are able (or willing) to make the distinction. Businesses have the right to discriminate however they see fit, like it or not.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, thrago said:

Well? 

6 BILLION Covid vaccinations have taken place worldwide. Its proven very safe.   Source

A small, very, nonetheless legitimate % have had major side effects 0.000074%;   Source  And based on AZ, owning most serious side effects reported.

Compared to roughly 1 in 482 dying from Covid by walking around in the US 0.207% , based on population 328,0000,000; Source

His odds of surviving are at least 2797 x worse.    >>  0.207 / 0.000074

But good on him for doing his own research?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1