The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

You keeping track of my post ?  I taught a staff is hired to maximize a roster despite the talent level with the purpose to win ?????

so you think rebuilding teams should finish near the top of the league standings, or ... ?

5 minutes ago, tas said:

you keep posting this image over and over in every thread, and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. all that shows is that green was hired to be the coach of a rebuilding team, which, uh, we all kind of already knew. 

A rebuilding team *SHOULD* find a way to get Juolevi more than 23 games in a season.  Even a COVID season.  Don't give a **** about "we already have too many left side D".  You make room or you ice more than 6 defensemen (like we'd miss a fringe forward up front).  OJ's biggest obstacle in his development was lack of playing time (as a result of injuries).  That ain't going to change with his ass stapled to the pressbox for like half the COVID season.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

A rebuilding team *SHOULD* find a way to get Juolevi more than 23 games in a season.  Even a COVID season.  Don't give a **** about "we already have too many left side D".  You make room or you ice more than 6 defensemen (like we'd miss a fringe forward up front).  OJ's biggest obstacle in his development was lack of playing time (as a result of injuries).  That ain't going to change with his ass stapled to the pressbox for like half the COVID season.

juolevi *SHOULD* find a way to get himself into more than 23 games.

opportunities are earned, not given, and if green has shown anything in his time here it's that he's more than happy to give young players opportunities in positions to succeed.

you do the math. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

opportunities are earned, not given, and if green has shown anything in his time here it's that he's more than happy to give young players opportunities in positions to succeed.

you do the math. 

Agree to disagree.  How is he going to "earn" minutes from sitting in the pressbox.  He's the same coach as he was for the Comets.  He leans on his vets/players he knows.  Only reason some guys upfront got playing time was as a result of injuries.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, tas said:

rebuilding, since they're building/have built their new core through the draft. 

So an (extended) rebuilt based on your opinion - seems like they have been stuck in retooling mode for awhile now.  Luckily, JB is good at drafting with no top 3 pick.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Agree to disagree.  How is he going to "earn" minutes from sitting in the pressbox.  He's the same coach as he was for the Comets.  He leans on his vets/players he knows.  

Why Chatfield was given games over him, I'll never understand. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Agree to disagree.  How is he going to "earn" minutes from sitting in the pressbox.  He's the same coach as he was for the Comets.  He leans on his vets/players he knows.  

Yeah, despite playing a vet lineup for most of the season the season - it still turned out to be losing season; would had been prudent to accept the losing season (early on) to play & showcase the future but I get it - have to win those loser points for the sake of winning culture !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, tas said:

you do the math. 

From the outside, there are players in this roster that the staff will never sit despite the on ice performance and there are his usual suspects - that are always on a short leash.  Most of the young core forced themselves in the lineup and didn’t even give Green a chance to sit them: BB, EP, QH and Hogz; OJ was just not noticeable enough to not sit.  Hopefully, OJ doesn’t become his new - development - project once JV gets traded.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, tas said:

you do the math. 

43 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Agree to disagree.  How is he going to "earn" minutes from sitting in the pressbox.  He's the same coach as he was for the Comets.  He leans on his vets/players he knows.  Only reason some guys upfront got playing time was as a result of injuries.

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why Chatfield was given games over him, I'll never understand. 

I believe the reason why Chatfield had more games over OJ was due to cap

Juolevi 863k

Chatfield 700k

iirc I think there was something mentioned a month ago or so in one of the intermissions with MacIntyre, Murph or Taj? About the cap and OJ Not being played

edit: I could be totally wrong, but I swear I heard something about a cap issue interfering

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Vintage 2

43 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

you earn your role in practice and the gym.

and green has given plenty of opportunity to boeser, pettersson, hughes, hoglander, and rathbone, so your theory doesn't hold water. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I believe the reason why Chatfield had more games over OJ was due to cap

Juolevi 863k

Chatfield 700k

iirc I think there was something mentioned a month ago or so in one of the intermissions with MacIntyre, Murph or Taj? About the cap and OJ Not being played

edit: I could be totally wrong, but I swear I heard something about a cap issue interfering

Fair enough. What's done is done. Looking forward to more Juolevi next season, hopefully as a fixture on the defense.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. What's done is done. Looking forward to more Juolevi next season, hopefully as a fixture on the defense.

True enough.  I should add, Green with some security now (signed contract for more than just one season) means he won’t be primarily concerned with keeping his job and letting the prospects make mistakes and grow.  Not all are going to be like Boeser EP or Horvat

• Cheers 1