The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

No matter how you view his tactics, at the end of the day, he's just doing his job and acting in the best interest of his clients. If you want to blame anyone, you can blame the Vancouver media for always spinning these types of news bits into more dramatically negative coverage of the Canucks. 

I don't think I'm blaming anyone here, but JP has a bit of a reputation.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I hate JP Barry

why doesn't the super agent find a new home for his star client, Loui E? then we'd have cap space for two long term deals.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2021 at 6:52 PM, DeNiro said:

I really hope Petey is inspired by MacKinnons philosophy of taking less to help build a better team. 

That's his mantra, but let's be real, his agent and him negotiated the best deal he could get at the time.

After his Calder season of 24 goals and 63 points, he followed it up with a sophomore slump, 14 goals and 38 points in 64 games.  His last year of his elc he got  21 goals and 52 points in 72 games.   Nothing that special, BB actually had a better PGP and EP as well.    Then he signed his 44 million mega deal at 6.3 AVV.   Definitely a fair deal given he didn't accomplish more after his first season until season five.   His first year of his new contract,  16 whole goals, 53 points in 82 games.   Year five he exploded, two years into his 7 year deal.    Now he's saying he'd take less on his next deal to "help the team". He didn't help the team taking a contract that he did if he never got out of the 55ish average points he'd managed up until then it would be ok at best.   Not great, not bad either.   If he bet on himself he would have bridged so i guess maybe he can say he knew it all along, but i'm calling BS to that.   With Rantanen making 9.5, no way is he staying there for less when his deal is up. 

If EP signed a deal like that i'd be delighted.   With flat cap deal really are like the ones made 2-3 years ago right now for bridges.   For long term deals more like 3-4.   Hope GMs know this and keep to the arithmetic.    EP has earned a deal a little bigger then BB.   That's it.   QHs bugs me on a long term deal unless it's very low.   Rather EP gets the long deal then vice versa.   6.5-7x 6 is what i was hoping for and feel with flat cap the next four years maybe five that is fair.    QHs 5 x 3.   No way he's earned much more then McAvoy, Sergachev or Werenksi, D is about keeping pucks out of the net, and last season he was exposed badly.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

i don't see EP signing anything more than a 4 year contract that'll take him right up to ufa where he will have all the bargaining power and can walk if he likes. vancouver is already one of the worse city to play in, in terms of income tax.. don't see why he or JP would be willing to take a long term contract with a home team discount being lower than a lot of the rookies recently... imagine the Kraken walks in with an offer sheet for 8mil or 8.5x7.. all they have to give up is a 1st 2nd and a 3rd.... they'll have plenty of cap space to play with and prolly ends up with a bunch of 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders too from teams trying to dump cap.. not a bad way to start ur franchise having the 2nd OA pick and plugging another teams top player for peanuts. i rather do 3 years EP at 7 7.5 so we keep 1 year of rfa and go from there. vancouver's offense live and die with EP.. even when he's not scoring other teams still put their top players against him so that frees up the other line.. the difference with EP and without EP in the lineup is about 0.5 goals per game.. that's significant regardless of what others think we weren't that bad without EP

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i don't see EP signing anything more than a 4 year contract that'll take him right up to ufa where he will have all the bargaining power and can walk if he likes. vancouver is already one of the worse city to play in, in terms of income tax.. don't see why he or JP would be willing to take a long term contract with a home team discount being lower than a lot of the rookies recently... imagine the Kraken walks in with an offer sheet for 8mil or 8.5x7.. all they have to give up is a 1st 2nd and a 3rd.... they'll have plenty of cap space to play with and prolly ends up with a bunch of 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders too from teams trying to dump cap.. not a bad way to start ur franchise having the 2nd OA pick and plugging another teams top player for peanuts. i rather do 3 years EP at 7 7.5 so we keep 1 year of rfa and go from there. vancouver's offense live and die with EP.. even when he's not scoring other teams still put their top players against him so that frees up the other line.. the difference with EP and without EP in the lineup is about 0.5 goals per game.. that's significant regardless of what others think we weren't that bad without EP

Tell me how Elias is worth more then Matthew Barzal?  Barzal doesn't miss so much time to injuries and is carrying his team to the semi-finals.  

Barzal got 7 mil for 3 years and Elias shouldn't get a penny more. 

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I didn't realize that we are signing Connor and Makar here...  In what twisted world does JP Barry figure that we have cap issues to sign Elias and Quinn?  

Sergachev  4.8 mil 

McAvoy 4.9 mil 

Sam Girard 5 mil 

Chychrun 4.6 mil 

Shae Theodore 5.2 mil 

Quinn fits right in between those players.  There's only one outlier and that's Chabot who signed an 8 year 8 mil/year deal pre-Covid.  Oh yeah, none of those aformentioned guys are posting -23 plus/minus seasons.  

JP Barry would do well to try and get Quinn a deal before guys like Makar and Heiskanen sign their deals as Avs and Dallas will set the ceiling lower then he expects it to be. 

Yeah, I listened to the whole interview. Barry said the team couldn't do BOTH Petey and Hughes to long term deals with the cap that they have. Looking at a bridge deal for Pettersson for sure and Hughes might be a long term deal.

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I didn't realize that we are signing Connor and Makar here...  In what twisted world does JP Barry figure that we have cap issues to sign Elias and Quinn?  

Sergachev  4.8 mil 

McAvoy 4.9 mil 

Sam Girard 5 mil 

Chychrun 4.6 mil 

Shae Theodore 5.2 mil 

Quinn fits right in between those players.  There's only one outlier and that's Chabot who signed an 8 year 8 mil/year deal pre-Covid.  Oh yeah, none of those aformentioned guys are posting -23 plus/minus seasons.  

JP Barry would do well to try and get Quinn a deal before guys like Makar and Heiskanen sign their deals as Avs and Dallas will set the ceiling lower then he expects it to be. 

Theodore, Girard and Chychrun were signed before they really broke out. Sergachev and McAvoy are signed to bridge deals. I think if we want to sign Hughes around this cap hit it will have to be a bridge deal. I think he can easily make the argument he's the most valuable defenseman on the Canucks and should be paid as such, i.e. > 6M. 

33 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sergachev  4.8 mil 

McAvoy 4.9 mil 

Sam Girard 5 mil 

Chychrun 4.6 mil 

Shae Theodore 5.2 mil 

The bolded is an excellent point. Depends on term but Hughes should not exceed Horvat or Boeser if it's a bridge deal.

Friedman says Quinn will sign longer term than Petey.  Others confirm this is likely. Petey is relatively easy.  Direct comparison is Barzal who signed 3x7M. Given Petey has slightly less numbers years 1 and 2 and had an injury last year that dramatically curtailed his performance, it is reasonable to conclude that he won't be more than 7m and may well be 6.5m x 3 which is my guess.

Hughes by most reports  is going to do a long term deal apparently and I guess it is 7M x 5 or as much as 7.5M x 8.

Edited by fanfor42

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Tell me how Elias is worth more then Matthew Barzal?  Barzal doesn't miss so much time to injuries and is carrying his team to the semi-finals.  

Barzal got 7 mil for 3 years and Elias shouldn't get a penny more. 

Barzal is a legit franchise player and he is getting better, which is scary.  But a healthy Petey i would probably put close to on par with him.  

Maybe 6 mill.  

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather do the opposite and lock in Petey long term and Quinn on the shorter deal.

Hughes has gotta show he’s more than just an offensive defenseman before I feel comfortable locking him in for 8 years.

If he’s our number 1 that we’re paying a big portion of the cap to he’s gotta be able to play well at both ends of the ice.

Hell no should we even consider anything close to 8 yrs for Hughes.

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Friedman says Quinn will sign longer term than Petey.  Others confirm this is likely. Petey is relatively easy.  Direct comparison is Makar who signed 3x7M. Given Petey has slightly less numbers years 1 and 2 and had an injury last year that dramatically curtailed his performance, it is reasonable to conclude that he won't be more than 7m and may well be 6.5m x 3 which is my guess.

Hughes by most reports  is going to do a long term deal apparently and I guess it is 7M x 5 or as much as 7.5M x 8.

Which reports are these you speak of?